HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:46 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
stop being so blutty negitive about our city we need to stop looking at the negitive shit from the last decade and take note of alot of positive we have an opertunity to make downtown the hub of the core of the city for shoping like the suburban shoping areas are for those regons and i feel thats what downtowns shoping needs to focus on being the hub to fill a whole thats there
If you want downtown Winnipeg to be a shopping hub it will first need the following:

- Cops WALKING the beat. None of this driving around in circles eating donuts crap. Cops making eye contact with people makes those with something to hide nervous. The cop may have no idea who that person is, but chances are if they have something to hide they will want to be out of sight from the police and hang out where the cops aren't (which is currently downtown). This will ultimately make the downtown core a much better place to be and make people more comfortable hanging around.

- More people working downtown. Manitoba Hydro was a great start but the core will need another 20,000+ people working downtown before anything major starts happening. Adding more people working downtown adds to the potential for retailers as it brings in business during the work week. It also jacks up the price of parking and makes transit a more regularly used alternative.

- More people living downtown. As traffic clogs due to the commute downtown, people will be more interested in living downtown to avoid the drive. Developers will actually start to see a demand for housing and condos will be built. Those with more money will buy in Wolseley, West Broadway, The West End and perhaps even the North End and Point Douglas thus gentrifying these communities. The gentrification leads to higher land values and slumlords start to sell off their properties and low rent welfare recipients leave the areas.

AFTER this is done you will see downtown Winnipeg as a vibrant shopping core because you will have people shopping during the day (workers), people shopping at night (residents) and all of which doing so without having to share the mall with the riff raff that currently occupies it most of the time with the additional police presence in the mall and on the streets.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
stop being so blutty negitive about our city
Nobody wants to be this way - I do everything I can downtown, all shopping except Rona, groceries and Cdn Tire. Every time I go it's noticeably worse. I'd like to see downtown improve as much as anybody - I just don't think it's going to happen.

When the Bay goes, that'll be it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Nobody wants to be this way - I do everything I can downtown, all shopping except Rona, groceries and Cdn Tire. Every time I go it's noticeably worse. I'd like to see downtown improve as much as anybody - I just don't think it's going to happen.

When the Bay goes, that'll be it.
the bay... i duno whats going on their but they have been putting money into the building at least. if u have no idea what i am mumbling about they did work on the chimney last year and replaced some recruitment on the roof so i would suspect its not going anywhere........

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Downtown Transcona to undergo makeover

By Jolie Toews
Canstar News

Jan. 21, 2010

A neighbourhood with a small-town vibe and buildings dating back as far as the early 1900s is set to undergo some major changes this year.

Downtown Transcona’s business district along Regent Avenue will soon undergo a makeover that proponents hope will attract new businesses and clientele to the strip.

The area between Winona and Kanata streets will be the focus of a major revitalization plan that is expected to cost more than $2 million. The aim of the project is to inject new life into the area while retaining its historic charm.

Some of the proposed improvements include lighting powered by solar energy and wind turbines, a walk of fame, an entrance archway and storefront and streetscape improvements.

The Transcona Business Improvement Zone and Transcona Coun. Russ Wyatt are spearheading the revitalization effort.

Wyatt said the BIZ’s Downtown Streetscape Revitalization Strategy 2009, funded by the city and province, is expected to begin this summer following the Hi Neighbour Festival. Work is expected to wrap up in the fall.

“My hope is that this will encourage new businesses to locate into downtown Transcona and encourage existing businesses to expand and improve,” Wyatt said.

Several local business owners say they agree with the plan, as long as the character buildings in the region don’t lose what makes them unique. They say making significant changes to the exterior of the buildings would strip downtown Transcona of its spirit.

Just ask Boyd Newton. The owner of the renowned Royal George Hotel on Regent recently made changes to the 97-year-old building to better reflect the way it looked when it was still new.

“I wanted to modernize the building and the business, but also respect the historical integrity of the building,” said Newton, referring to the new awnings and illuminated signage.

An old, black-and-white framed photograph of the building hanging inside the hotel bar shows similarities between how it looks now compared to back then.

Newton said he hopes Regent will be able to boast an impressive nightlife one day.

“I’d like to see the strip turn into a mini-Corydon,” he said.

Jean Delorme, owner of Another Look Bridal Fashions in downtown Transcona, agreed that changes need to be made for the area to flourish again.

“It needs revitalization, yes,” Delorme said. “Some of the buildings need fixing up, they really do. They’re kinda old and getting rundown. Some, I hate to see change.”

Downtown Transcona was once a bustling hub of activity when the city’s most northeastern community was growing thanks to a booming railway industry.

As big box stores began to open in west Transcona, family-owned business in the downtown area began to feel the pinch. Quality service and loyal customers helped some locally-owned stores hold their own while others suffered.

The BIZ report outlines concerns over downtown Transcona’s image, a problem that has been exacerbated by aging and vacant buildings.

It also states that the area is no longer a “one-stop shopping destination” and is in need of a better retail mix.

However, the report states there is a potential for increased activity in the area with the growth of residential property development in Transcona.

An open house for the proposed project was held last May.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
If you want downtown Winnipeg to be a shopping hub it will first need the following:

- Cops WALKING the beat. None of this driving around in circles eating donuts crap. Cops making eye contact with people makes those with something to hide nervous. The cop may have no idea who that person is, but chances are if they have something to hide they will want to be out of sight from the police and hang out where the cops aren't (which is currently downtown). This will ultimately make the downtown core a much better place to be and make people more comfortable hanging around.

- More people working downtown. Manitoba Hydro was a great start but the core will need another 20,000+ people working downtown before anything major starts happening. Adding more people working downtown adds to the potential for retailers as it brings in business during the work week. It also jacks up the price of parking and makes transit a more regularly used alternative.

- More people living downtown. As traffic clogs due to the commute downtown, people will be more interested in living downtown to avoid the drive. Developers will actually start to see a demand for housing and condos will be built. Those with more money will buy in Wolseley, West Broadway, The West End and perhaps even the North End and Point Douglas thus gentrifying these communities. The gentrification leads to higher land values and slumlords start to sell off their properties and low rent welfare recipients leave the areas.

AFTER this is done you will see downtown Winnipeg as a vibrant shopping core because you will have people shopping during the day (workers), people shopping at night (residents) and all of which doing so without having to share the mall with the riff raff that currently occupies it most of the time with the additional police presence in the mall and on the streets.
hub for the region of the city not just downtowns pop but the inner
city cops do walk the beat theres more people downtown at all hrs of the day
the cops have CCTV downtown in many locations now
i feel safer downtown then i do on selkirk ave(witch is dead and where downtown was during the 90's)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:33 AM

Selkirk Ave. is very depressing after business hours.

Downtown - the police and downtown watch presence is very noticeable at all hours.

The Bay - been walking through it every day to get to the skywalk/Portage Place. Menswear dept is a mess.

Portage place - needs destination stores. H&M would be a good fit for Kennedy court on 2 floors.

People working downtown - plenty of them but they don't stick around after work to shop for the most part.

Whatever happened to the idea of converting some of the one way downtown streets back to 2 way streets? So many studies on ways to help downtown, lauded and then ignored. Make it easier for the suburbanite to get around downtown and they might be more likely to come back. Maybe after that last report they'll start to replace some of the surface lots with parkades.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
the bay... i duno whats going on their but they have been putting money into the building at least. if u have no idea what i am mumbling about they did work on the chimney last year and replaced some recruitment on the roof so i would suspect its not going anywhere........

That is all necessary building code stuff needed to keep the building open. I don't think they are spending anything on improving the store or it's image. Really too bad.

I was in there last week for the first time in years and it was really depressing, not how i remembered it at all. It almost looks like it is heading for a closure by neglect type of scenario - let the store become unappealing, resulting in lower profit, then corporate can say it is not performing and say it is not profitable to operate anymore.

Sad

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It is so sad. When I was doing my xmas shopping there were tiles missing, several escalators were broken and the ones that were running sounded like they would fail soon. Only two employees on the housewares floor too, and no customers. I'll give it a year.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 12:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

2 womens stores in portage place closed both origonal tents last week.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 2:14 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Barnes & Castle (Kitchenware) and Smart Set (Clothing)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
2 womens stores in portage place closed both origonal tents last week.
And let me guess, they are going to replace them with another Dollar Store and Money Mart. Oh our beloved, thrifty downtown

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 6:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
And let me guess, they are going to replace them with another Dollar Store and Money Mart. Oh our beloved, thrifty downtown
Hopefully a store selling wolf t-shirts opens up.

It would be a great compliment to the current store that sells weed t-shirts.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 9:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wait the kitchenware place closed doh

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
There are two dollar stores side by side in the downtown Eaton/Scotia Place downtown mall in Calgary... not all roses in Cowtown.. You should see the main downtown mall in Edmonton !
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 8:35 AM
Youth of a Nation

I'm not sure when Burger King closed but I am sure as hell that was there for like 20 some years..

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 1:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i remember a mcdonalds being there for a while though and a italian rest raunt across from it and mcnaly being next to it then moving a unit over and then moving down stairs... but if one wanted to see a dead mall get a time machean and go back to the 90's

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 7:06 PM

Quote:
i remember a mcdonalds being there for a while though and a italian rest raunt across from it and mcnaly being next to it then moving a unit over and then moving down stairs... but if one wanted to see a dead mall get a time machean and go back to the 90's
Good thing then this is the year 2010.
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
There are two dollar stores side by side in the downtown Eaton/Scotia Place downtown mall in Calgary... not all roses in Cowtown.. You should see the main downtown mall in Edmonton !
I'm not sure if you're saying Edmonton's mall is good or bad, but I was in their downtown mall this summer and it seemed pretty decent. Some major retailers (Sears, Winners, etc.) We ate in the food court and it was full of business people and no one seemed to be sitting around all day nursing a coffee.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 5:24 AM
Density and complexity

I was in The Bay yesterday myself. That store is slowly, painfully moving on a ricketty escalator to closed-ville; whole sections of the second floor are semi-vacant, nevermind the fourth, fifth, etc. The basement (aside from the still busy supermarket) look like a Logan Avenue discount-mart's going out of business sale, c.1980.

Very sad, since any amount of effort by the company could turn that place around, but they are obviously not looking at that.

But who cares? I hear that St. Ax and the U of W are looking for more space to house their new Sustainible Indigenous Accessibility Development department offices...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
But who cares? I hear that St. Ax and the U of W are looking for more space to house their new Sustainible Indigenous Accessibility Development department offices...
That sounds a little cynical (I've learned to read sarcasm without sarcasm font!)...

Mr. Axworthy has somehow pissed you off?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan