HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 2:19 AM

Naming a school (insert name of either state, province, country or other political or geographic unit etc.) Institute of Technology is a logical choice. It's done all over the world, ranging from famous examples stateside like MIT to other countries like the Indian Institute of Technology.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 2:41 AM

Montréal has the ETS (l'École de technologie supérieure) and Polytechnique.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There is a point reached when a long name for a place detracts from the grandeur (or is that Gravitas?) intended by the long name.

Like the Journal of Scientific Inquiry, Theoretical Reasoning, Epistemology and Ontology.
If you offered me the choice, despite the much shorter name I'd rather be published in Nature instead.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:07 AM
The New Republic

The worst university name in Canada: Quest University. It was established in 2002 and is based in Squamish, BC.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The worst university name in Canada: Quest University. It was established in 2002 and is based in Squamish, BC.
Whenever I hear the name of that university, one thing comes to mind:

... I hope he gets royalties

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If you offered me the choice, despite the much shorter name I'd rather be published in Nature instead.
If only you/me had that choice. Nature and Science are the world's foremost academic journals. Getting into either one is hitting the jackpot.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whenever I hear the name of that university, one thing comes to mind:

... I hope he gets royalties
Who is he?

'University Canada West' is another name that doesn't work for me.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:26 PM

^ It's Richard Quest, host of Quest Means Business. Quest quest quest!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
If only you/me had that choice. Nature and Science are the world's foremost academic journals. Getting into either one is hitting the jackpot.
As a first or second author, probably. As a member of a big team, possibly not. I'm listed as an author on a Nature paper and it wasn't really a jackpot at the time, although it is kind of cool to say "I'm a Nature-published author".

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
As a first or second author, probably. As a member of a big team, possibly not. I'm listed as an author on a Nature paper and it wasn't really a jackpot at the time, although it is kind of cool to say "I'm a Nature-published author".
Still really cool. I have got a lot of pubs, many of which are in high impact journals, but nothing that rates with Nature.
Most of my pubs are 1-3 authors. And authorship order means a great deal in my field.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:00 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Saskatoon
K-W
Halifax

...and then perhaps Niagara, Windsor, London

a) Development in the primary 3 has been nonstop for nearly the last decade whether it be commercial or residential although the population of Halifax hasn’t shot up as drastically as the first 2 have.

b) Climate has dick all to do with it..winter only lasts so long but summer makes a prosperous area feel only more prosperous.

c) LRT development in Halifax could easily work as well as those in KW have been hoping. Give Saskatoon some time given it’s sprawling tendencies these days and the same might happen as well.

d) They also don’t mix or aren’t conjoined with neighbouring areas so their identities aren’t shrouded—given the possible exception of KW/Niagara.

I find that Niagara and Windsor have some growing up to do in terms of stabilizing themselves as true examples of prosperity while London has always been in the middle of the pack and no real thrust in development compared to it’s KW rival up the 401.

With that being said and in due time, they will start to see a real shift in growth and should be next in line. I’ve always compared Niagara to KW but on a smaller scale. Since moving to the region in 2016; the housing market has increased and developments are springing up everywhere, St Catharines dwntn has seen improvement and Niagaras transit systems are finally merging. Amalgamation would be ideal along with a regional newspaper but this is Niagara we’re talking about

Last edited by c@taract_soulj@h; Mar 13, 2018 at 2:08 AM. Reason: Additional information

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I think we can generally agree that Canada has 9 major metropolitan areas right now. They may not all be major on a global scale, but at least within the Canadian context. They are:

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton
6. Ottawa
7. Winnipeg
8. Quebec
9. Hamilton (although I think over time Toronto, Hamilton and Oshawa will form a large metropolitan region)

What are Canada's next major metropolitan areas? You could look at this question however you please. One way to look at it may be to see which batch of metropolitan areas are likely to hit ~750K people next.

My picks (not ranked; from West to East):
1. Victoria
2. Saskatoon
3. London
4. Waterloo Region
5. Niagara Region
6. Oshawa (although I think it will be part of the greater metropolitan region of Toronto by the time it gets big enough)
7. Halifax
Back to the original topic at hand...

I agree with ranks 1-8 (Including QC; after all, they weren't snickered and laughed at when they convinced taxpayers to fund an arena to attract an NHL team, and said NHL groups did give them an audience to present themselves... no other city in Canada that doesn't have a team could manage that outside of another team in the GTHA).

This is from a west coaster's perspective, but I don't feel Hamilton is distinct from Toronto. It's like how we don't feel Abbotsford is not Greater Vancouver... there is too much influence and pull from the major city that these cities have already lost their identities as separate cities (but do of course retain their own individual subcultures, stereotypes and charms of their area). Hence the acronym GTHA. KW is also questionable as it is often enveloped in the "Golden Horseshoe" geographic area and may also fail to escape Toronto in independence and mindshare.

London and Windsor are sufficiently far away that I would call them independent cities, but Windsor lives in the shadow of Detroit and London to someone on the west coast just doesn't seem very prominent or distinct, or less so than Saskatoon/Regina.

For me, the next two obvious major areas beyond 1-8 are:

1. Halifax - disputably has already made it. Mentioned in GaWC's Global Cities in the same breath as Winnipeg and QC, anchor of the Atlantic, impending CFL team.
2. Saskatoon - all the reasons stated in this thread already

Then on the fringes:

3. Regina - I've been convinced Saskatoon will become the major player of the province, but like Calgary and Edmonton, they aren't far off from each other
4. Victoria - It's the capital of BC and provincial government functions out of there. Definitely no longer retirees only; bubbling tech sector and commercial infrastructure. Probably Canada's "best" climate for a city mid size and up, if you average out people's preferences.
5. London - Again an Eastern Canadian would probably see this as more prominent, but to me it's not much more than the third biggest truly "independent" city after Toronto and Ottawa in the province
6. Kelowna - The whole region has a geographic identity that can comprise as much as 400,000 people, and Kelowna's skyline is being completely reinvented over the next 5 years
7. St. John's - Slow growth and isolation doesn't completely detract from the fact that the city is located in an interesting and important geographic area in the Atlantic
8. Moncton - Don't know much about it, but it's been referred to as the major hub in the Atlantic after Halifax

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:28 PM

^ I agree with you to a significant extent, except that I think KWCG is pretty distinct. With the greenbelt, it's hard to see it as an extension of the GTHA. I think the area between the greenbelt and the lake (i.e., Toronto, Hamilton, Oshawa, etc.) will definitely meld into one large metropolitan region. But I think the greenbelt serves as a pretty good psychological and physical barrier.

That said, if HSR comes, then you'd probably be right.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:47 PM

is Halifax really getting a CFL team?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:55 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Probably not within the next five years based on everything I've read. I stand to be pleasantly wrong, but I don't think so.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
No, because Montreal would want one too

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
This is from a west coaster's perspective, but I don't feel Hamilton is distinct from Toronto. It's like how we don't feel Abbotsford is not Greater Vancouver... there is too much influence and pull from the major city that these cities have already lost their identities as separate cities (but do of course retain their own individual subcultures, stereotypes and charms of their area). Hence the acronym GTHA.
When I go to Hamilton it feels surprisingly different from Toronto and has a stronger identity. I agree that Toronto and Hamilton will increasingly behave as one metropolitan area but they have quite a different feel and demeanour.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:55 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
When I go to Hamilton it feels surprisingly different from Toronto and has a stronger identity. I agree that Toronto and Hamilton will increasingly behave as one metropolitan area but they have quite a different feel and demeanour.
From my experience I've felt the same way to both places. Hamilton really has a different, distinct feeling then from Toronto.....but I understand some aspects could merge as the Golden Horseshoe grows.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Same here! Hamilton really feels nothing like Toronto, it definitely has its own thing going on, regardless of how close the two cities are. I think this is because Hamilton was a substantial sized city a century ago, and not some small town in Toronto’s orbit. Now, because of sprawl and growth, the two cities are connected, and as so, many just mistakenly assume that it’s just one big metro, when it’s really not. It’ll become more of a Dallas/Fort Worth set up, where each city has its own distinct identity, but they anchor one big combined metro!

Now, as for Oshawa, I feel like it’s just an extension of the eastern Toronto suburbs, without much of a separate identity! Quite different from Hamilton’s position in the region!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:24 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Toronto feels pretty distinct from Brampton, which feels pretty distinct from Pickering, which is quite different from Downtown Mississauga, but they're all the same metro. Hamilton feels like a working class Toronto stuck in the 80's, and with more one way streets, not that distinct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada