HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Cool Suns/NBA Thread

It's that time of year again when we can talk ball.

I think the suns have a promising look ahead and this was one of the best offseasons I have seen in a long time. Chemistry wise they look very strong even if they don't have the most star studded roster. I think they will be a playoff team this year. I also was able to find tickets for Tuesday's exhibition game against Partizan Belgrade for $4 each!

love to hear your thoughts on this season PHX31

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 4:55 AM
under the influence...

Drag the dead body of Steve Kerr behind a light rail car through downtown, then I'll start paying attention to the Suns again.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Ouch!!!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 6:15 AM
Todo para la familia

Well...porter and Shaq are gone so this may be a happier squad that now Alvin Gentry can instill his run and gun offense full term with a difference emphasis on Dfense. I'm wondering about Channing Frye and Earl Clark coming on to the team and I also want to see just how Amare will do and how soon he starts talking trade. The suns may just make it into the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 6:56 AM

Definately the departure of both shaq and porter is key to the suns chemistry. But also I think Channing Frye will be a great addition, he gradutated from st. marys and went to U of A. He is still young enough so that he can improve upon his game. I think he would have to be our centrer, i don't think Robin Lopez is ready for that yet. Also interesting to see how much of the fan base that will stick with the team, for what will probably be another season without the trophy.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 7:40 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Why was this a great offseason? Drafting Clark was smart, and Frye is Frye, nothing special. Getting rid of Shaq was good but we got NOTHING in return, we couldn't even get a 1st rounder (which will be a late one) next year from Cleveland? We have no pick next year (because of Kerrs retarded Kurt Thomas trade) and for a guy that the Cavs look at as the piece that would push them over the top, we couldnt get the 30th pick next year?

As long as Kerr and Sarver are in control this team doesn't have title aspirations. Ill be happy if the Suns make the playoffs and get bumped in the 1st round this year, at least that way they won't be in the lottery and giving OK City a ridiculously good pick. On the other hand OKC has a nice young core and I love James Harden, I may secretly cheer for them as long as Kerr is in town being a retard.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 4:28 PM

I agree with the better chemistry this year, that, and a "happy" team always plays better. One thing I like is the development of our bench. The Suns might not have the most talent coming off the bench, but I like how Dudley and Lou play, effort, rebounding, etc... that's good for a couple wins a year, and maybe fresher legs for Amare and Nash and Hill come playoff time. If we make the playoffs, I think the best we can hope for is probably a 5 or 6 seed (I'm not really sure how the rest of the West is shaping up).

Hate to say it, but I'm secretly hoping for a bad first few months of the year, but a monster first half from Amare. I think a trade of Amare would suck for this year and maybe next year (probably Nash's twilight), but that may be exactly what we need for the future, assuming Kerr/Sarver don't give Amare away for $0.50 on the $1.00 or worse like they continually do.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Hoover, you really dont get it? They convinced grant hill to stay, did a nice job of freeing up some cash for next year letting shaq go early, made nice choices in the draft, and apparently got everyone happy. I think it was a successful offseason.

And wasn't d'antoni the one who traded thomas?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 5:42 PM

^Nope, D'Antoni was the coach at the time, Kerr was the GM. It was one of Kerrs first moves. Also its not just that trading KT- the only good interior defender on the squad and rebounder, who let Amare play weak side help D, the only type of D he's good at- but he gave away TWO first round picks and got back NOTHING. Its got to be the worst trade in Suns history.

I just have a hard time getting excited about an off season where they did sort of what I expect a team to do. Jettison pieces that dont make sense (but they shouldnt have traded for Shaq in the first place, so I can only grade that at C), draft in a logical way (in the 1st round at least), etc.

I guess it goes to your expectation levels with Kerr and Sarver. We expect them to make such fools out of themselves in the offseason when they just do a "C" level job and don't screw it all up, we're happy. The Suns have no plan, and aren't set up for the future in anyway. Their title window is slammed shut and they can't go into rebuilding/blow it up mode because of the lack of a 2010 pick.

Get ready for about 5 years of basketball similar to the Jason Kidd era. 45-50 win teams, bottom half of the playoff seeding, bumped in the 1st round. Woo hoo, thrilling.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 6:39 PM
BANNED

does the lesbian basketball association count in this talk as well?

The mercury are one game from losing the championship. It's funny I didn't know their season was going until the second round of the playoffs.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
does the lesbian basketball association count in this talk as well?

The mercury are one game from losing the championship. It's funny I didn't know their season was going until the second round of the playoffs.
My Dad and I went to one of their first round games because I had free tickets. Its actually not a bad time, I cant imagine paying for it, but if you ever get free tix its worth going I suppose. If only for the fact that the mens room is a ghost town and you can pee in any urinal you want.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:04 AM

I gave up on the NBA after that pathetic playoff series against the league's prodigy team.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:46 PM

The Thomas trade was definitely bad, although I don't know if the Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey trade could ever be topped!

I think we'll see a better Suns team this year, especially if Amare can stay healthy. Also Barbosa needs to have a big year, he's been so inconsistent though. I like that they have an actual bench, and hopefully we'll have some real standouts emerge.

I worry about rebounding, as is always the case with the Suns. I'm excited to see how Earl Clark does, and if Amare can make a real effort to average a double double.

Looking forward to the season...although I don't know if I'll go to their games when they come to Denver. I have for the last few years and they always seem to lose...maybe I'm bad luck!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:56 PM

Did anyone else go to the game last night and notice how into it the Serbian fans were? There was a group in the south end that stood and chanted the entire time, even when they were down by 30.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmAZCO View Post
The Thomas trade was definitely bad, although I don't know if the Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey trade could ever be topped!
Its worse. In the Robey trade at least the Suns got a warm body back and didnt lose 2 first round picks! That KT trade melts my brain.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:31 PM

Yeah they're both major f-ups on the part of the organization. Why they didn't make the second pick protected is kind of baffling. I really hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Did anyone else go to the game last night and notice how into it the Serbian fans were? There was a group in the south end that stood and chanted the entire time, even when they were down by 30.
Yup, european fans get a little more into it. There were a lot of those eastern european mushroom heads there last night.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmAZCO View Post
Yeah they're both major f-ups on the part of the organization. Why they didn't make the second pick protected is kind of baffling.
Bingo. Forget the fact that we lost a player and 1st round draft picks... I really hope the (then) Supersonics just wouldn't have done the deal without the 2010 pick being unprotected. If Suns management just "forgot" to have it protected or didn't even demand it, that's just sorry. I'm definitely hoping for the Suns in the playoffs this year to make that pick worse. If they miss the playoffs, I might lose my mind on lottery night if they happen to "get lucky".

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:08 PM

^I agree. On the other hand, James Harden is there now and I really like OKCs core and wouldnt mind seeing them succeed. I mean the Suns dont have the pick either way so it being high or low doesnt really effect them directly outside of just being annoying.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:35 PM

The Suns should end up with a decent record, and I can't imagine that pick being a top ten. Maybe an 8 at best. Luckily the Suns as an organization have never been horrible, they haven't had to depend on getting high picks to turn things around (i.e. Spurs, Rockets, Cavs).

So does everyone think Amare is done as a Sun after this season? I don't think he warrants max money. I can see them offerging something decent, and if someone else comes along with a better offer then I'd be ok with letting him go. Lot of X factors though, like how he plays this year, and how the team is looking mid-season. They'll definitely shop him around, but PLEASE don't offer up any more first round picks!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest