HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:20 PM

Update on the 101NQ project in Lancaster.

A closer look at construction happening at the former Bulova building in Lancaster [video]

Author: Lancasteronline Staff

Quote:
The $30 million project is expected to be complete in summer 2019.
https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...0099fd895.html

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:55 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Pretty neat. The project engineer for Warfel in the video looks like he's about 17 years old. Must've drawn the short straw for the interview.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:11 PM

I had the same thought! At least he sounded knowledgeable, but on a more serious note, this project is really going to transform that corner and activate a rather dead stretch of East Orange Street. The renovation of Yorgos on the opposite corner turned out quite nicely. Now if only the building that Rite Aid occupies would get a face lift....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:14 AM

Big News

Over the weekend, a source revealed to me that a developer is planning to construct what will be "one of the tallest" buildings in Lancaster. My source, who is employed by the developer, divulged that the tower will be residential with perhaps a small retail component on the ground floor. Unfortunately, she was unable to disclose the specific location, but did say that a structure will have to be demolished to make way for the building.

I won't name who the developer is, but will say they are well funded, have an impeccable development track record, and a waiting list for their other properties. I will say that this will be their first foray into urban development, which has me curious to see the design of the exterior portion of the tower. If I get more information, I will pass it along, but I would expect an official announcement will be made by the end of the year.

Just for reference, the two tallest buildings in Lancaster are the Marriott Hotel at 215 feet and the Griest Building, which is 210 feet tall. Any structure above 160 feet in height will make an impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:59 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Over the weekend, a source revealed to me that a developer is planning to construct what will be "one of the tallest" buildings in Lancaster. My source, who is employed by the developer, divulged that the tower will be residential with perhaps a small retail component on the ground floor. Unfortunately, she was unable to disclose the specific location, but did say that a structure will have to be demolished to make way for the building.

I won't name who the developer is, but will say they are well funded, have an impeccable development track record, and a waiting list for their other properties. I will say that this will be their first foray into urban development, which has me curious to see the design of the exterior portion of the tower. If I get more information, I will pass it along, but I would expect an official announcement will be made by the end of the year.

Just for reference, the two tallest buildings in Lancaster are the Marriott Hotel at 215 feet and the Griest Building, which is 210 feet tall. Any structure above 160 feet in height will make an impact on the skyline.
Great news for Lancaster.

Hope you don't mind, but here's a pic of those two:

And here's a pic from up in the Marriott:

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the photos Ex-Ithacan! From that vantage point, you can nicely see the rolling hills south of the city around Willow Street and points south.

Update: Sidewalk scaffolding has appeared at the base of the Hotel Lancaster. Seems like the renovation and conversion to a Holiday Inn has begun in earnest. Still no details whether or not the building will be re-skinned like at 101nq. At the very least, I hope this renovation will address the exterior portion of the old banquet hall facing the square and the exterior of the lobby. I am encouraged about the plan to include a restaurant in the now vacant northwest corner of the lobby space. Here is the most recent article about the project.

https://lancasteronline.com/business...23c9f1023.html

Additionally, it looks like the 12-story Marriott Hotel expansion is up to the ninth floor and the 10th floor is being poured. The Fulton Bank expansion also appears to have broken ground.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:18 PM
Old Fart Forumer

You're welcome. I really must get back to Lancaster one of these days. Great walkable downtown. Plenty of activity last time I was there.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:02 AM

Ex-Ithacan, let me know if you are looking for any recommendations of things to see or do.

Good news for the east side of Lancaster city.

Former Giant on Reservoir Street to become a Peapod hub, creating about 150 jobs

By: Tim Stuhldreher

Quote:
The shuttered Giant supermarket on North Reservoir Street in Lancaster is to reopen this fall as a hub for the Peapod online delivery service, company and city officials said Monday.

As an e-commerce site, the location will employ about 150 people, Giant said, double the 75 who worked there when it was a supermarket.

The plan also restores North Reservoir Street as a local source for groceries
https://lancasteronline.com/business...636c5e3ae.html

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 11:25 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ thanks for the offer mville.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:58 AM

Lancaster Update

The tower crane for the 12-story Marriott Hotel came down over the weekend.

Work on the 101nq project and the Lancaster Hotel conversion to a Holiday Inn continues to progress slowly.

I will try and swing by the Fulton Bank expansion site and F&M's new visual arts building by the end of the week to get an update on those projects.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:41 PM

Another HQ on the Move

Woodstream Corp. of Lititz is moving its headquarters to downtown Lancaster. The move will bring another 180 jobs to East King Street where Fulton Bank is expanding its headquarters to accommodate an additional 400 employees.

These two moves are in addition to Cargas Systems headquarters moving into the 101NQ project sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of next year, which will bring over a hundred more jobs downtown.

Woodstream to move HQ to downtown Lancaster, bringing 180 jobs; factory to stay in Lititz

By Tim Mekeel

Quote:
Woodstream last week announced plans to move its headquarters, with 180 employees, from 69 N. Locust St. in the borough to a mostly vacant office building at 29 E. King St. in center city.

“Having a new, modern office building in a vibrant, growing downtown enables us to attract more talent and retain that talent as we continue to grow our company,” said Woodstream’s Miguel Nistal, president and CEO.

Woodstream has signed a 10-year lease proposal agreement to rent 47,000 square feet in the building — enough space for 225 employees, which the growing company hopes to need in the future.

The agreement, which is a precursor to a finalized lease, includes lease-renewal and building-purchase options.

Following a $2 million investment to renovate the space, Woodstream plans to move its headquarters staff downtown in March.
https://lancasteronline.com/business...bc97a5b7c.html

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:22 PM

This seems like a pretty cool project. One thing I like about this proposal is that the glass greenhouse would break up the rather monolithic brick south facade of the Prince Street Garage. Hopefully they can secure funding for this project.

Vertical greenhouse plans move forward

By: Andrew Forgotch

Quote:
Plans are moving forward to build a greenhouse on a Lancaster parking garage.

Corey Fogarty, board president of the Lancaster Urban Farming Initiative, said the greenhouse could support 20 acres of fresh vegetables.

The vertical greenhouse, with an estimated $17 million price tag, would be built on the Orange Street side of the Prince Street Garage.

The greenhouse would be the second of its kind in the country. The other is in Wyoming. Fogarty is working with Vertical Horizon, a Wyoming-based company, to build it.
https://www.abc27.com/news/local/lan...ard/1444845439

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:00 PM

Fulton reveals $29 million plan to upgrade historic theater, transform downtown Lancaster block

By LINDSEY BLEST and AD CRABLE

Quote:
Twenty years after the community saved its beloved Fulton Theatre, the fruits of a visionary $29 million campaign were announced Sunday with a promise to update the venerable performance center inside and refurbish half a city block outside.

According to a study done for the Fulton, when complete, the project will provide 270 new direct jobs and 90 indirect ones. Total economic impact on the city and county was put at $23.8 million.

What the Fulton is calling phase one of construction continues this fall with the storefronts on the 100 block of West King Street, restoring their facades to how they looked when they were built in 1825.

The storefronts have been boarded up. They’ll be turned into retail spaces, which haven’t been planned yet, Major said. When finished, the block will feel “like it fits together,” he said.

The top three floors will be turned into 26 apartment spaces for visiting artists. Currently, the Fulton has five apartments on King Street and five on Prince Street, according to Nicole Hackmann, the Fulton’s capital campaign manager.
https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...e3be14882.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 8:20 PM

Hi, any news on the construction of "one of the tallest" buildings in Lancaster?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo16 View Post
Hi, any news on the construction of "one of the tallest" buildings in Lancaster?
Unfortunately, I do not have any new information to share. A few months ago, this developer announced plans to build out one of their other properties. I suspect that they might be focusing their energy on that project.

Additionally, this is just speculation, but they might have encountered difficulties acquiring their desired site. There are only so many parcels in downtown Lancaster that could handle a high rise. If this developer had successfully purchased a site, the local media would have probably caught wind of it from the Recorder of Deeds office. I doubt they would have set up a trust to acquire their desired property to evade detection from the local media, but who knows

I'll check back with my source in the next couple of weeks, but because she is several steps removed from the project, I doubt she has any new information.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have any new information to share. A few months ago, this developer announced plans to build out one of their other properties. I suspect that they might be focusing their energy on that project.

Additionally, this is just speculation, but they might have encountered difficulties acquiring their desired site. There are only so many parcels in downtown Lancaster that could handle a high rise. If this developer had successfully purchased a site, the local media would have probably caught wind of it from the Recorder of Deeds office. I doubt they would have set up a trust to acquire their desired property to evade detection from the local media, but who knows

I'll check back with my source in the next couple of weeks, but because she is several steps removed from the project, I doubt she has any new information.
That's too bad. I can think of a number of parcels that would work. It's just what Lancaster needs right now.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 2:08 PM

Finally! Here are the details about the project I was told about last summer.

Senior housing complex pitched; plans would demolish building listed on National Register of Historic Places

By: TIM STUHLDREHER LNP

Quote:
A local development firm is proposing to build a 14-story apartment building for senior citizens in the 200 block of North Prince Street.

Eberly Myers says it is collaborating with “a well-respected senior care provider” as it plans the roughly 230,000-square-foot project at 221-227 N. Prince St.

It would offer 175 to 200 units for residents age 55 and over, plus memory care and assisted living services, along with more than 20,000 square feet of commercial space. When up and running, the complex will support 75 jobs, the company said in a statement.
https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...82fd29447.html

At 14 stories, this building would be approximately 140 ft to 165 ft tall. The preliminary design is okay, but I wish they would have put the vehicle entrance on North Market instead of North Prince Street.

The tower looks like it stretches all the way to Market Street, which makes the massing of this building when viewed from either the north or south look clunky. Hopefully, the design changes a bit as it goes through the approval process.

Although, I have a feeling that between the historic preservation cohort and the push for affordable housing crowd that this project will face considerable opposition. It is too bad the developer could not purchase the lot on Walnut and Prince or Chestnut and Queen.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:36 PM

Well after the 14-story proposal on North Prince Street was unanimously shot down by both city council and the historic commission for being "out of scale" and not respecting the "historic" character of Lancaster, this should be interesting.

Senior Living Meets Food Hall in Willow Valley’s First Urban Development

By: Tim Mullaney

Quote:
The organization is planning a senior living highrise and is redeveloping a historic venue across the street to create a culinary center in downtown Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Willow Valley anticipates synergies between the two components of the project.

The plan is to demolish the former production facility to construct a highrise that will be over 20 stories tall, pending city approval. A historic property that is on the site will be preserved and adaptively reused.
Although the building design is still in process, Swanson anticipates that the highrise will feature street-level retail open to the public, while residents will have access to multiple dining venues, lounges, elevated terraces, a rooftop amenity, a dog park and pet wash stations, and a large wellness hub with fitness center, pool, yoga studio and spa components.

The highrise will be entirely independent living.
https://seniorhousingnews.com/2019/0...n-development/

Anything over 20 stories will surely be taller than the Griest Building or the Marriott Hotel tower. Although, the site elevation along Vine is lower than Penn Square so this tower may not look any taller than the other two buildings. I doubt that fact will quell what will most certainly be a strong and vocal group of opponents. Additionally, since Willow Valley is known for building luxury communities and this site sits adjacent to one of Lancaster's less affluent neighborhoods, there will be demands for some type of affordable housing component. Willow Valley better look out for the pitchforks

I just hope city council and the historic commission does not bow out to the nimbys .

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 4:15 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Yikes, that does sound like a tough battle with the Nimbys. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 5:06 PM

Willow Valley is well funded and well connected, which makes me confident that some structure will get built at that site. The question will be whether or not Lancaster will get a squat 8-story midrise or a soaring 20-story tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast