HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 4:43 AM

Now that I look closer, parts of the facade remind me of Aqua in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Yeah, LA City Councilmembers need to recognize what is legitimate and what is not when it comes to these frivolous claims about historic designations and the rights of these crappy businesses that do absolutely nothing for the area.
I suppose a positive in designating many areas is that this puts even more pressure to build up.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 6:16 AM

Just wanted to give a few updates on some new places in my area. Below is a new apartment building in Venice that was finished at the end of 2009 located at 1107 Venice Blvd near the busy intersection of Lincoln Blvd and Venice Blvd. I am hoping more new properties are developed along this stretch as the current housing stock is outdated and has become a bit run down.

Here is a new condo/townhome tower located near the Venice Pier in Marina del Rey at the intersection of Washington Blvd and Via Dolce. It sat vacant for much of 2009 with the exterior mostly finished but interior unfinished. Finally, at the end of 2009 a new owner came along and they have been finishing the interior and repainting the exterior. Hopefully they fill the 1st floor with some retail or restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 8:52 PM
Environmental Sabotage

^ Nice updates and welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 10:11 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Welcome to the forum DJJohns. I remember seeing that Latidude 33 building looking almost finished over a year ago during a bar crawl. Hard to believe it's still not finished.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 6:30 AM

From Curbed LA

Quote:
Johnson Fain-Designed Columbia Square Coming Back Around

Wednesday, June 23, 2010, by Dakota

That Johnson Fain-designed condo/hotel/office development proposed on the old CBS Studios complex near Gower and Sunset was approved by the Planning Commission last December, but then... it just disappeared. Now, the project will be heard before the Planning and Land Use Management Committee next month. Neighbors are hearing rumors that developer New York-based AREA Property Partners was looking to sell off part of the project, but a rep for AREA disputes that, stating the project is going forward. There's no timeframe for ground-breaking and AREA is currently looking for tenants for the project (old Loopnet listing), according to the rep, who adds that it will be easier for the company to get financing if tenants are in place.
Source: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...ack_around.php

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 6:55 AM

^ Once that and BLVD6200 are completed (in like 5 years), Hollywood will be MUCH MORE 3-dimensional and the area of interest to pedestrians will be expanded! Build it!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:01 PM
BANNED

This whole neighborhood presents great opportunities since the housing is mostly outdated and in transition to apartments anyway. Getting the parking out of the strip malls and behind the buildings should be possible, given the number of apartment units and lower-rise in-fill commercial that should be coming along. Some reasonable effort at planning could make this area look like Wilshire in Ktown or along museum row.

But let's see if any of this really happens.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 3:29 PM

By me.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 3:51 PM
Ascension

What/where is that?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 4:53 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Maybe the orange line extension or expo line... that would be my guess

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post

By me.
Care to share where that was taken?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 11:48 PM

Wow, way to leave everybody hangin.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 12:17 AM

Not that his location would be definitive about where that pic was taken, but I'm going to take a wild stab at it and jump to the conclusion that since his location is Topanga, he may have taken it in the SFV, and that dkt was right about it being the Orange Line extension...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 3:02 AM

It's a cable-stayed bridge in the Wilmington neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, near the Port, about a mile north of the Vincent Thomas Bridge. Not sure what it is for, but it's part of a whole new elevated road or track they're building parallel to Harry Bridges Blvd. Looks like it crosses Wilmington Blvd., but not sure about that. I can't find any info on the project. Not sure why they need such a dramatic structure for such a short span?

Last edited by mdiederi; Jul 13, 2010 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:45 AM

Oh, it's part of the elevated park project. http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...ool_cities.php

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:57 AM

So, I guess it's a pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 11:11 PM
BANNED

I notice there's a proposal for a block-sized Ralph's and Target (parking on the roof) at Rodeo and Crenshaw, which is about 1 block from the Expo Line. It replaces an old Ralph's with massive parking lots.

I don't follow this carefully, but it seems that there has been a ton of proposed development along the Expo Line (both the under construction and proposed parts). From DT, to USC to Culver City to SM, there seems to be a strong beginning to building around the line. Hopefully, this will be reflected in good rideship numbers. Gives Leimert Park and nearby areas convenient connections to DT and SM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 2:21 AM

^ Yes, you are seeing the slow, yet consistent and insidious (to NIMBYs) urbanization of LA. The Aqua Line will finally put metro in many people's minds as it finally connects part of the the salient Westside with DTLA and the rest of the region.

My only concern is that there are so many other areas of the Westside that are filled with culture, character, and beautiful architecture that are not on the drawing board for rail connection. We're talking 3rd St, Beverly, and Melrose (and all the residential streets that branch off of those major thoroughfares).

I also think it is a HUGE mistake that Metro has not included Robertson Blvd./Wilshire Blvd. for its planned stations for the Purple Line. Robertson is a major intersection with access to a lot more "stuff" north of the Wilshire.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
^ Yes, you are seeing the slow, yet consistent and insidious (to NIMBYs) urbanization of LA. The Aqua Line will finally put metro in many people's minds as it finally connects part of the the salient Westside with DTLA and the rest of the region.

My only concern is that there are so many other areas of the Westside that are filled with culture, character, and beautiful architecture that are not on the drawing board for rail connection. We're talking 3rd St, Beverly, and Melrose (and all the residential streets that branch off of those major thoroughfares).

I also think it is a HUGE mistake that Metro has not included Robertson Blvd./Wilshire Blvd. for its planned stations for the Purple Line. Robertson is a major intersection with access to a lot more "stuff" north of the Wilshire.
i guess the idea is that the weho red line extension will cover those areas to some extent by putting stops along san vicente (ie a beverly center stop), and thus also make a robertson stop not that necessary.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 7:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Exterior renovation of this building in Koreatown. Note the new retail space planned along 7th Street.

From Flickr, by urbanone

From Flickr, by urbanone

From Flickr, by urbanone

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations