HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

These areas, though completely devoid of charm, don't really look that bad at all. For starters, I don't think I saw any properties that looked abandoned.

It is all very gritty and most people would find it ugly, but it's not something you won't find in pretty much every single city in Canada, including the ones that are generally considered attractive or even beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These areas, though completely devoid of charm, don't really look that bad at all. For starters, I don't think I saw any properties that looked abandoned.

It is all very gritty and most people would find it ugly, but it's not something you won't find in pretty much every single city in Canada, including the ones that are generally considered attractive or even beautiful.
Here I will post what I have so far. I took around 500 pictures. I will start off with the map for you.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...a0f0d011&msa=0

(Remember I only have 50 so far out of the couple hundred that I plan to keep). The map is just to show you that this isn't just a random house every couple of blocks, but rather almost every other house in the entire neighbourhood. I will show pictures in my next post. Obviously my order of taking them is from lowest to highest.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Sep 21, 2012 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:17 PM

I will remind you that any vacant lot, used to be a house that was burnt down, thus leaving an empty lot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I will remind you that any vacant lot, used to be a house that was burnt down, thus leaving an empty lot.
My neighbourhood's been going through a lot of that lately. Five fires and buildings town down this year. Twenty over the past four years.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:46 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post

And behold, his mighty police cruiser lives on, in about the same state of health as Detroit:

Ford Taurus SHO by dave_7, on Flickr
The first SHO came out in 1989, Robocop was 1987. The misconception that Robocop drives a SHO most likely originated with the use of models like this. Ford had the same model company produce models to be given away with the purchase of SHO's in 1989 and 1990. They obviously decided it made more sense to use the existing SHO model for thr robocop line than to create a new mold based on a regular SLO.

Source http://wonkette.com/414403/414403

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The most notorious "ghetto" area in Halifax is the Gottingen/Creighton area of the North End. That neighbourhood has been gentrifying very rapidly, however. A few years ago there were developments around the margins and lately there has been a lot of construction right on blocks that previously would have been considered untouchable.

Here's a photo taken by me in 2004, showing what the worst parts look like. The buildings are mostly non-profits or abandoned:

I took this shot back in August of this year. There are several buildings under construction in this shot and four or five of these have been built or heavily renovated over the past few years.

Another perspective:

Old apartment building:

Renovated:

Statue in front of the library.

Here were some townhouses built a few years ago. Note the graffiti:

This neighbourhood has Uniacke Square, the housing project built for relocated residents of Africville (and maybe some others who lived in the North End). This part of the city has had a black population for around 200 years. The Cornwallis Street baptist church (originally called the "African Baptist Church") was built in 1832 by a slave who came to Nova Scotia from Virginia. Some of the black people who came to Halifax came from the US, and others came from the Caribbean. In some cases they came to Nova Scotia because they weren't welcome in other colonies at the time. In other cases they were brought in as labourers to work on specific projects. The Citadel in Halifax was built partly by Jamaicans, for example.

Residents of Uniacke Square still have a very high (on the order of 25-50%) unemployment and the area has a disproportionate amount of serious crime. It will be interesting to see what happens with that housing project as the neighbourhood gentrifies. Over the long term it should probably be redeveloped in a manner similar to Regent Park.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:02 PM

toronto's most notorious corner for crime; Jane & Finch:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:45 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Drove through there a few days ago. Honestly doesn't feel like you're in, as Molson would put it, a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Really helps that most buildings in the surrounding area haven't been deliberately set on fire. Social safety net at work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
The first SHO came out in 1989, Robocop was 1987. The misconception that Robocop drives a SHO most likely originated with the use of models like this. Ford had the same model company produce models to be given away with the purchase of SHO's in 1989 and 1990. They obviously decided it made more sense to use the existing SHO model for thr robocop line than to create a new mold based on a regular SLO.

Source http://wonkette.com/414403/414403
WOW, I didn't actually expect to run into someone from this forum who'd even be able to spot the difference between a SHO and a normal Taurust. I just looked around for something from 1986-1991 that also happened to be black. As a kid I always found it funny that they selected Ford Taurii as cop cars for this movie, because ours was woefully underpowered and hilariously nondurable (the delicious Essex V6 ate its own head gaskets before 100,000km... 30,000km after an engine rebuild the transmission died)... overall, worlds apart from the Crown Vic. Despite all the bad memories of our Taurus breaking down for whatever reason, I still really want to get a 1st-gen SHO with a standard tranny. If only I could find one that isn't ghetto'd out or rusted to hell.

Speaking of which, here's another common sight East of Adelaide:

Last edited by Wharn; Sep 21, 2012 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Here I will post what I have so far. I took around 500 pictures. I will start off with the map for you.

(Remember I only have 50 so far out of the couple hundred that I plan to keep). The map is just to show you that this isn't just a random house every couple of blocks, but rather almost every other house in the entire neighbourhood. I will show pictures in my next post. Obviously my order of taking them is from lowest to highest.

2. The Salter St Bridge. This bridge crosses the CN Yards, one of the biggest problems plaguing Winnipeg's North End. That is the physical barrier (on top of cultural, economic etc. barrier's).

4. A little skyline shot for ya.

5. Looking West over the Bridge.

6. Looking at Lord Selkirk Park from the Salter St. Bridge. This is where the North End starts when heading away from downtown. The name of the neighbourhood is also that of the most notorious housing project in the city (Unless one was to argue Gilbert Park a.k.a Jig Town to the West). Fortunately Lord Selkirk Park has been reinventing itself, starting with a head to toe renovation.

7. Anyone who live's in the North End will recognize this sign. Though the style of writing is new, after a new roof job.

8. R.B Russel High School. Situated right on the Border of L.S.P and Dufferin Industrial.

9. The majority of the pictures I took were of vacant lots/Burned out houses. Now, to show you the locations of each picture go to the map and match the location with the corresponding number. I have a couple hundred more to go before I am done, but it has been long enough so I thought I would give you the fifty that I have numbered so far.

10. 9 and 10 are the same lot. The first looking south, the second looking North. Some locations I provided multiple angles to give you a better feel of the area you are looking at.

11. What you can't read tag? I guess you won't get the prices at this station until you've already filled up.

12. This is where I started getting into the residential stuff.

13. This is the back lane of the previous picture I took.

14. I just wanted to snap a picture of my old street. I used to live on Manitoba before I moved to Ontario. Now living back in Winnipeg I chose to live Downtown. I still have plenty of friends who live on these blocks though.

15. Burn Out on Manitoba.

16. I didn't see this dog until I was right beside him. And then he went crazy. He scared the crap out of me, just because I didn't notice him.

One problem with the North End is actually how they treat their animals. A lot of people are from the reserves, so they let their dogs run loose on the streets (as one would be allowed in the country). It isn't uncommon to see dogs just running around the North End. Cats are even more common. Fortunately this mean guy was chained up (I am sure he was a softy once you get to know him).

17. Closer look at Cujo. Yes I am aware that this is a shepherd not a St. Bernard.

18. This Black Lab was much more chill, just across the street.

19. The upside is that people are still willing to invest in this neighbourhood (unlike some places in the states). This is a picture of one vacant lot that is being developed.

20. Unfortunately this is only two houses to the east of that one.

21. Google Street View of three VL's.

22. Ahh. The aspirations of a child. When applying to be a corrections officer I toured the Youth Centre (provincially run) where it became quickly apparent that the aspirations for most of the kids was to get 25 with an L at Stoney Mountain.

IP stands for Indian Posse.

23. Another Vacant Lot.

24. You could find Waldo faster than a house that doesn't have at least one boarded window.

25. Boarded and Vacant. Can it be beat? We'll have to see!

26. One thing about the North End that is amazing is the amount of Murals! There is one thing that can't be denied about this neighbourhood, and that of most that are lower income, is that they have character.

27. Same lot. It is good to see that the city is starting to invest in the roads and sidewalks again.

28. Vacant Lot from Aikins/Magnus backlane.

29. I was never a fan of pot, but I never minded the smell. But these kids were "hooting", as is said.

30. "Puff, Puff, Give Craig. You're F$(%ing up the rotation".

31. The thing is, with new paint and some new windows, this could be a very charming house (from the outside). From my experience, the interior of some of these houses are far beyond repair.

Here is an example.

Video Link

32. Burned out on Magnus view 1.

33. Looking down Magnus from picture 32.

34. Burned out view 2.

35. Across the street and two houses over.

36. If you look at picture 33. You can see a man. These are his shoes.

Another wonderful thing about the people in this neighbourhood is their desire to share stories. This man was only delighted to tell me about the 4 fires that have plagued his block in the last month alone. He doesn't want to invest anymore on his house, because he thinks it will be burnt down soon.

37. This house has the same square footage as my bachelor apartment. In other words, I wouldn't mind purchasing it.

38. This is two houses over.

39. Same spot, different angle.

40. Same spot, third and final angle.

41. Two house over again.

42. Same Spot, different angle.

43. Two houses over, and across the street. Taken from the same spot as the last vacant property.

44. Same spot, different shot.

45. Again, only two houses over. This is the end of the Magnus block.

46. I am pretty sure this is Magnus' back lane. I am too lazy to double check though.

47. Manitoba Ave. just West of Salter.

48. Corner of Pritchard and Salter.

49. I was pointing the camera around, and they thought I was taking their picture, so I figured that I might as well. These kids were just on their way back to school from lunch break.

50. Pritchard and Salter, across the street from the last Pritchard and Salter. On Streetview

51. Now my picture.

This is only 1/3 of this tour, which is the first of many to come. I plan to do all of the North End one day, which will highlight a lot of the good things that the community has to offer as well. I will get the rest of this tour and then start on the second and other subsequent tours later on. Hope you liked it.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:17 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:

In some ways, Winnipeg reminds me of Buffalo. Except Winnipeg has a much better tree canopy (Buffalo suffered decades of Dutch elm disease), and Winnipeg houses are setback further from the street.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The North End looks terrifying. Whenever I'm in Winnipeg, I avoid it completely (though the drive from the airport to downtown is equally unnerving).

However, Winnipeg also has one of my favourite residential areas - River Heights. Some parts of it look a little run-down but the middle class and upper class areas are amazing. What I love most is the canopy of trees and the numerous different architectural styles. In St. John's, architectural diversity is the residential old town is bay vs flat windows or two vs three floors. However, there's a little too much stucco in River Heights (to me it looks like flame-retardant foam and the houses appear unfinished - and I just can't like a stucco house, no matter how grand) but other than that it's beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:41 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:

46. I am pretty sure this is Magnus' back lane. I am too lazy to double check though.

Good to see Nova Scotia being represented.

What is this area like after dark? It appears pretty harmless during the day. Is it actually bad or does it just have that stigma of it's run down so it must be bad attached to it?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think N.S. means Native Syndicate, doesn't it? One of the gangs?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:48 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

I think N.S. means Native Syndicate, doesn't it? One of the gangs?
I'm sure it does. I couldn't help but plug my Province though.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Well, North End Winnipeg sure looks like it sucks, but what is interesting compared to Hamilton is the low level of abandonment. The vast majority of buildings are all occupied.

My city of Gatineau has quite a few areas like this - although they don't have sky-high crime rates like in Winnipeg. They suck and are ugly but human occupation has not ceased at all nor even declined.

Unfortunately our scuzzy areas in Gatineau tend to be the ones with the best "bones" from an urban design perspective.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Good to see Nova Scotia being represented.

What is this area like after dark? It appears pretty harmless during the day. Is it actually bad or does it just have that stigma of it's run down so it must be bad attached to it?
Yeah, that stands for Native Syndicate. The North End is bad for a Canadian city, and could be compared to East Hastings. However it is nothing compared to some of the American city's out there.

In terms of walking around, I spent an hour just doing this little shoot - and many other hours just chilling in the area- during the day. At night it is equally safe. IF - big if - you are smart.

A big suggestion is to not wear any colours that suggest gang support. Because there is no turf that is definite. You will cross any gang at any time, and if you have white and black on when crossing Indian Posse or MOB's. they will accost you. In other words be smart.

The problem lies more for people who are involved with gangs, prostitution, etc. Normal citizens are generally not effected. However sometimes normal citizens do get caught in crossfire.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:30 PM

In my personal experience however the younger you are, the more likely you are to be effected. As a kid it was almost a bi-weekly thing to get jumped. I have had a gun to my head, had a knife pulled on me - both more than once. Most of my friends joined gangs at around the age of 12. And I have lost 2 teen friends to gang violence - one of which wasn't even in a gang, and was simply mistaken for being a member (wrong clothes, wrong place, wrong time).

It is hard being a kid in this neighbourhood, simply because of all the bad influences that surround you. But I found that once I came back, now being twenty, all of that is gone. Helps that I no longer live there, hence all my time is no longer spent there.

Truth is; the first time I left the neighbourhood, is when I left the province. I didn't even realize that Winnipeg had anything good until I moved away from it. That is when I saw it from a different light.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

In all my time in Winnipeg, the worst I've really had to deal with was aggressive panhandling. I never had a weapon pulled or anything like that... just the implication that this would be the next step if I didn't have a few cigarettes or some $.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

In all my time in Winnipeg, the worst I've really had to deal with was aggressive panhandling. I never had a weapon pulled or anything like that... just the implication that this would be the next step if I didn't have a few cigarettes or some $.
Remember that I lived right in the area that most people avoid. Just from shear number of hours there that puts me at greater risk.

And before I paint the wrong picture, let it be known that I was close to joining a gang (one of the main reasons why my family left the province). I put myself in certain situations because of my choice of friends and surroundings. I didn't realize what I was doing wrong at the time, I was just doing what I thought kids do.

Look at the chalk sign of IP on the fence (picture 22). That is what kids grow up dreaming to be, because that is what their influences are.

The ordinary citizen is unaffected other then generally being poorer than the average citizen.

In terms of panhandling, that is a downtown thing, not a North End thing (unless you are right on Main). Downtown and the North end are two completely different entities.

I have never personally experienced "Aggressive" panhandling as most put it. The usual for me is a beg for change, smokes, or some kind of drug. When I say no, they say "God Bless", or "Have a nice day", or something friendly. I have no problem with panhandlers, besides the perception that they create of an unsafe environment.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh, I have no doubt it happened to you. I still have friends in Winnipeg. All of them have been victims of a crime - minor - break and enter when he wasn't home, car windows smashed and her stereo taken, mugging outside Hydro building, etc. But they've all had something happen. Which is... oddly, I thought... unique among my circle of friends. No one I know in St. John's, for example, has been directly the victim of a crime. Except my Dad, ha!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada