HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The median serves no aesthetic purpose. If they landscaped it or did something interesting, maybe. I see no aesthetic need for a hunk of cement. I suppose it is functional, though.
Back in the day,it was where you caught the bus.Used to catch the 44 to Wynnfield when coming home from school.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:32 AM

035 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 3:33 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...I-GALLERY.html

Inga's review - column up this morning. She's in love.

Phase one - should be completed Spring 2016.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...I-GALLERY.html

Inga's review - column up this morning. She's in love.

Phase one - should be completed Spring 2016.
Her positive outlook on the project is definitely surprising- especially since I believe she has trashed BLT architects on several occasions in the past. Hopefully this project will trigger more development in the 900 and 1000 blocks of market. Lots of vacancies or subpar storefronts in those blocks.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 12:07 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Perspective shots of the Market East, so we can compare what is there now, to what is proposed, and show some demo progress as of today (12/27/2014).

11th and Ludlow:

11th and Market:

12th and Market:

12th and Ludlow. You can see the demo work.

12th and Clover:

Considering this project is directly across the street from the Convention Center's Market street entrance, it could wind up being be fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:16 AM

Great. Now where am I supposed to buy my American pants?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:13 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but here is the Market East Strategic Plan from 2009. Interesting how this project, and others relate to that plan.

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pl...astexecsum.pdf

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 10:37 PM

Retail Leasing brochure

http://www.mcdevittco.com/production...Newspaper1.pdf

Has an image or two I hadn't seen before, but more interestingly, floorplans showing the distribution of the retail and the range of sizes they're hoping to attract.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 11:37 PM

So the Snellenburgs Men's store front facade is a goner it seems

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:30 AM

Tall or not, this is the most exciting project in CC right now IMO. This is going to change Market East's game in a great way!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
So the Snellenburgs Men's store front facade is a goner it seems
The facade was "renovated" beyond salvage in the 1970s, no?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
The facade was "renovated" beyond salvage in the 1970s, no?
Poster was talking about the warehouse building (later family court).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Tall or not, this is the most exciting project in CC right now IMO. This is going to change Market East's game in a great way!
Agreed. This and PREIT's project with the Gallery are so huge. Together, they promise to revolutionize a stretch of our city that is damn near a slum and smack in the middle of a 'tourist area' (right near the Convention Center, no less).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 1:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Agreed. This and PREIT's project with the Gallery are so huge. Together, they promise to revolutionize a stretch of our city that is damn near a slum and smack in the middle of a 'tourist area' (right near the Convention Center, no less).
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown. I am definitely curious about how much public money PREIT is going to ask for.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown. I am definitely curious about how much public money PREIT is going to ask for.
I didn't say anything about tenants, though it can't be denied that the type of stores is part of it...The whole stretch of market where this and the Gallery reside look like junk. The blank wall is a big piece of that. Agreed that it will be interesting to see what PREIT asks for as far as public funding. Some of PREIT's activist investors are pressuring PREIT to dump some of its less profitable properties (including several shopping centers in the PA and NJ suburbs surrounding Philly). If it does, perhaps we will see some of that cash infused here and a project that really shines.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't say anything about tenants, though it can't be denied that the type of stores is part of it...The whole stretch of market where this and the Gallery reside look like junk. The blank wall is a big piece of that. Agreed that it will be interesting to see what PREIT asks for as far as public funding. Some of PREIT's activist investors are pressuring PREIT to dump some of its less profitable properties (including several in the PA and NJ suburbs surrounding Philly). If it does, perhaps we will see some of that cash infused here and a project that really shines.
I didnt mean to infer that you were saying something about the tenants (many of which are national chains BTW)- I was trying to make the point that the tenants in the gallery are almost irrelevant because its such a poor design. Whatever is going on inside of there (positive or negative) is totally cut off from the urban environment since they built a vertical version of a suburban shopping mall as if the gallery is surrounded by a huge parking lot.

If W hotel asked for $30m I'm sure PREIT will be asking for at least that. I also wonder how much of the mall they will be able to keep open while they enact these major changes. One thing is for sure, Im sure PREIT wants this subsidy completed ASAP before we get too close to end of Nutter's term.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:25 PM

This development is truly a game changer for Philadelphia.

The past was destroyed and we cannot get it back. The 70s/80s created a complete urban travesty. And here we are today, looking forward, creating a new great urban area in the city of Philadelphia. Remarkable from where we were just 10 years ago.

Let's hope the materials used are high quality...but so far...this looks like a massive massive project for Philadelphia.

Congrats.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:51 PM
BANNED

True, and hopefully all this change will lead to something at 8th and market. Seems like a perfect site for an urban Target to me.......

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
True, and hopefully all this change will lead to something at 8th and market. Seems like a perfect site for an urban Target to me.......
Would love to see something big there.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Would love to see something big there.
I've always hoped that something like the Waldorf or Bridgeman's View would end up there.Anything less than 650' would be criminal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive