HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:07 PM

MLS: Growth in NA.

So, I was wondering and been thinking about MLS, and the growth of the sport. There's no doubt that soccer - professional soccer - in the US, and in Canada, over the last few years has grown, due to MLS.

But I wonder, with all the other leagues around the world (i.e. EPL, Serie A, even the Chinese Super League), is MLS ever going to be able to keep it's best young players from seeing MLS as a starting point, and moving onto the best (or better) leagues globally?

I was reading an article in Vancouversun, about Salgado, recovering from his foot injury. The article also mentioned that Salgado wants to focus on MLS now, but hopes to play in Europe soon.

How is the quality of play on the pitch ever going to improve, if the league continues to lose it's best young talented players - going elsewhere?

Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:55 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
So, I was wondering and been thinking about MLS, and the growth of the sport. There's no doubt that soccer - professional soccer - in the US, and in Canada, over the last few years has grown, due to MLS.

But I wonder, with all the other leagues around the world (i.e. EPL, Serie A, even the Chinese Super League), is MLS ever going to be able to keep it's best young players from seeing MLS as a starting point, and moving onto the best (or better) leagues globally?

I was reading an article in Vancouversun, about Salgado, recovering from his foot injury. The article also mentioned that Salgado wants to focus on MLS now, but hopes to play in Europe soon.

How is the quality of play on the pitch ever going to improve, if the league continues to lose it's best young talented players - going elsewhere?

Thoughts?
More money made on the league by growing at a sustainable but steady rate and more money spent on developing talent here. Most star players will go to Europe for more money, but some will be unwilling to uproot their lives.

MLS also has to become bigger and profitable enough to pay higher salaries. It just takes time and effort. The US great results in the 2010 World Cup helped and Canada qualifying for the World Cup in 2014 would also help.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:09 PM
ハルウララ

It definitely would have helped if MLS leaned more towards a relegation/promotion system to encourage grassroots development and teambuilding. Alas, that isn't the case, so they need to do the best they can with the current system (which is working pretty well, IMO).

There has been steady growth in the MLS over the past few years and certainly due to expansion in the Pacific Northwest as well as in Philadelphia and Montreal. All of these have been solid markets for the MLS as the Whitecaps draw well and the Sounders are the highest drawing team in the league.

After a certain amount of time there should be a developmental crest where you get a wave of younger players who are either A)Willing to stay in NA to play football or B)The world market is saturated and they have nowhere to go. Either way the quality of play should theoretically improve as the development improves. Football numbers and registration is increasing in Canada so it's only a matter of time until we start feeling the effects of that.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
It definitely would have helped if MLS leaned more towards a relegation/promotion system to encourage grassroots development and teambuilding. Alas, that isn't the case, so they need to do the best they can with the current system (which is working pretty well, IMO).

There has been steady growth in the MLS over the past few years and certainly due to expansion in the Pacific Northwest as well as in Philadelphia and Montreal. All of these have been solid markets for the MLS as the Whitecaps draw well and the Sounders are the highest drawing team in the league.

After a certain amount of time there should be a developmental crest where you get a wave of younger players who are either A)Willing to stay in NA to play football or B)The world market is saturated and they have nowhere to go. Either way the quality of play should theoretically improve as the development improves. Football numbers and registration is increasing in Canada so it's only a matter of time until we start feeling the effects of that.
I don't know if the world market will ever be saturated. How would that happen? There's always going to be a market for better players, younger players, talented players - especially in Europe, where the more wealthier teams (i.e. Manchester United, ManCity, Barcelona FC, etc) can afford to pay, and attract.

And as of right now. The best league in the world is the EPL. top talent located there, best competition in the world stage by far. I don't know why any american/canadian player playing in MLS, if they're young and good, would stay in MLS, and not cross the pond to get paid better, and play against the best in the world.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
More money made on the league by growing at a sustainable but steady rate and more money spent on developing talent here. Most star players will go to Europe for more money, but some will be unwilling to uproot their lives.

MLS also has to become bigger and profitable enough to pay higher salaries. It just takes time and effort. The US great results in the 2010 World Cup helped and Canada qualifying for the World Cup in 2014 would also help.
I think this will take a very long time to happen. Maybe 30 years down the road? MAYBE.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:39 AM
victory in near

Quote:
I think this will take a very long time to happen. Maybe 30 years down the road? MAYBE.
With Vancouver , Kenny miller makes 1.2 million, Barry Robson makes 600,000+

And these are not Even the super stars of the leugue. The money is coming... We just need more Canadian and American talent and that is coming as well.

Quite frankly, I am bored (very bored) of hockey. There are way too many games, the season is too long, the games are too expensive, the atmosphere at the games is too corporate. The whitecaps are just more fun.

66,000+ people in Seattle last weekend to see Seattle vs Portland. That is impressive. I wish we had that kind of support here!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
With Vancouver , Kenny miller makes 1.2 million, Barry Robson makes 600,000+

And these are not Even the super stars of the leugue. The money is coming... We just need more Canadian and American talent and that is coming as well.

Quite frankly, I am bored (very bored) of hockey. There are way too many games, the season is too long, the games are too expensive, the atmosphere at the games is too corporate. The whitecaps are just more fun.

66,000+ people in Seattle last weekend to see Seattle vs Portland. That is impressive. I wish we had that kind of support here!
Well. I think Miller is a "star" on the whitecaps, simply because he's a Designated Player, and same with Robson. The money will come, for sure, but I think it'll take a long time to be able to compete with the likes of some european clubs.

I do think the atmosphere at BC Place for 'Cap games is better than Canucks atmosphere. But it's not saying much. BC Place feels pretty empty and large, and it's pretty quiet for the most part too, with the exception of the southsiders. but everyone else is pretty quiet too. I think it's a Vancouver thing.

Seattle is IMPRESSIVE. 66k for a rival game against the Timbers. Vancouver is a good market for soccer, but I don't think we could pack it like the Sounders. They are one of a kind market. Extroardinary to say the least.

I honestly think, the 'Caps will eventually need to build their own soccer specific stadium. And leave BC Place for the Lions.

But yeah, MLS as a league is young - only 17 years old. It's come a long way since the early days in 1996. And I honestly think the league will continue to grow leaps and bounds. As much as I dislike TFC, I think they need to get better, and if they're a healthy club, it'll only be better for the league as a whole too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

I'm very very glad to hear that other people are not obsessed with hockey too.
There are so many other interesting sports out there, that have huge followings, but the #1 cause of them getting little attention in this city is the media. Ever listen to a "sports presenter" on the Canadian TV channels. They go like this: "And today in Sports, [hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey...]". That's not a Sportscast. But the everyday Joes never get to hear anything else, so they default to enjoying what they're force-fed.
Ironically, whenever anybody calls the media on this, they inevitably shout "But this is a hockey-mad city!" Chicken and egg, right? If you only feed people hockey, of course they're going to love it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
I'm very very glad to hear that other people are not obsessed with hockey too.
There are so many other interesting sports out there, that have huge followings, but the #1 cause of them getting little attention in this city is the media. Ever listen to a "sports presenter" on the Canadian TV channels. They go like this: "And today in Sports, [hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey...]". That's not a Sportscast. But the everyday Joes never get to hear anything else, so they default to enjoying what they're force-fed.
Ironically, whenever anybody calls the media on this, they inevitably shout "But this is a hockey-mad city!" Chicken and egg, right? If you only feed people hockey, of course they're going to love it.
I'd say the majority of the people in Vancouver are Canuck/hockey fans, first. Soccer (correct me if I'm wrong) may be third, and Lions/football - a distant second to the Canucks/hockey.

There is a small following of every other sport (i.e. NBA, pro lacrosse, MLB, NFL/CFL, MLS/EPL, etc) in this city. majority of the people follow the canucks, NHL hockey first, and maybe another sport(s) after. the media only gives attention to what the majority of the people want to hear/see. that's usually, unfortunately, canucks hockey and the NHL.

my hope for vancouver, though, is that it'll continue to grow into a better sports town. not just a "canucks/hockey" city. diversity is good!

I also think as MLS continues to grow, and expand. it'll become more popular. there is a reason why soccer is the most popular sport in the globe. it's inevitable, with immigrants coming over to canada/vancouver - the game of soccer is only going to flourish and grow. it is the global game. immigrants coming in, will no to little idea what CFL football is. small following in basketball. and may never have played baseball. but soccer - this is a sport that nobody where you are, people play and follow.

I just hope that the 'Caps continue to grow and become one of the best franchises in the league, and becoming a world class organization - this would eventually include their own stadium, training facilities (in the works), etc, etc.

Do you guys think MLS can overtake CFL across the country? can the 'caps become more popular than the Lions in time?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Do you guys think MLS can overtake CFL across the country?
Not likely. MLS is probably maxed out at 3 clubs for Canada and the CFL is going to grow to 9 in a couple of years and likely to at least 10 in the medium term.

Plus, much of Canada is quite traditionally North American in its sports tastes and so you have the "soccer is boring" crowd in many parts of the country.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 8:45 PM
loafing in lotusland

Wow... how things have changed since the Whitecaps started drawing decent numbers. MLS is really picking up steam (or maybe it's just the World Cup that has me thinking it has).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 10:25 PM

soccer is just really big right now cause of the world cup. Its the bandwagon thing to do. not to say MLS isn't increasing in popularity. Just this year will just be better since the world cup.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 10:27 PM
See ya down under, mates

My big problem with the MLS is game times. I like games after work like hockey/NBA, don't want to spend my weekend afternoons watching them.

I've stopped caring about the Canucks/hockey but no other sport has picked up the slack. I like soccer the most though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 11:31 PM

It would help to gain a lot of credibility if MLS clubs could compete with Mexican clubs, and at some point beat them. Fan interest would pick up if people could see that MLS teams are the best in this region. I didn't realize this till just recently, but there is a FIFA Club World Cup. At some point we could see the Whitecaps go up against world class soccer clubs in a meaningful match. That would really pique fan interest.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 12:57 AM
Reason and Freedom

Last summer the Canadian Football League reportedly got better ratings in the U.S. on ESPN2 than MLS: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1503739

Maybe MLS will do a bit better this summer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
soccer is just really big right now cause of the world cup. Its the bandwagon thing to do. not to say MLS isn't increasing in popularity. Just this year will just be better since the world cup.
Yah me and many of my friends watched the World Cup religiously and have been looking in on the Whitecaps as a result. But I would put money down in 3-6 months I again won't know a single name on the Whitecaps or if the season is even still going on. World Cup to me is way bigger and different than MLS.

Kind of how to me the Stanley Cup playoffs don't equate to more people being interested in minor league hockey. Or getting into the World Series doesn't mean you'll start going to see Vancouver Canadians baseball games.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation