HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:27 PM

I don't think architecture has gone downhill but I can see why some might suggest that it has.

I think the real problem lies with the developers. The real estate market here has been so overheated now for close to a decade and there has become an unhealthy relationship between some developers and how they engage with architects and execute their designs for middle and lower-end product. When developers are able to pre-sell 100% of their projects before building exterior finishes have even been finalized it is an opportunity to exploit the design process for value engineering and there is always pressure on profit margins when pre-sales are locked in.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:03 AM

Just to be clear, I don't deny that Vancouver has a well-above-average benchmark for architecture, just that the lead over other cities has arguably declined since the early 2000's. I'm not counting the stuff at the extreme top or bottom of the market.

There used to be a distinctive west-coast look amidst the monotony, but even that is gone, as newer buildings seem to be taking after the scale of Toronto condos, ham-fisted massing and urban realm included.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver