HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
That's true. But why does this city have such an intensive process?
It's a pretty big deal to build buildings on this scale. Some people decry that not enough was done about a certain project across the river. Some people decry the amount of time and money to approve this project and others. It can't be had both ways.

Design Review takes a while. Permit Review takes a while too. While I would love to see the speed of these reviews increase, the quality of the work done probably shouldn't be reduced.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:47 PM

Notice of a Type II Decision for revisions to Block 20.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:54 AM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Retail element trimmed in new Pearl high-rise

North Pearl neighbors complain that community building benefits will be lost

A neighborhood group voted unanimously to oppose a developer’s reduction in retail space for the 21-story high-rise at Northwest 11th and Pettygrove at the western edge of The Fields Park.

The Pearl District Neighborhood Association planning committee took issue with Hoyt Street Properties’ request to modify plans after gaining city approval for the recently named Vista Pearl, previously known as Block 20.

Neighborhood representatives said reduction in retail space leads to a “dead zone,” undermining community vibrancy and livability.

People who live and work nearby agree—they want more, not less, retail.

“I would prefer not [more] apartments, because I live around here, and there’s not much around here,” said Kelly Robertson, 34, who lives in a nearby building. “Shopping, restaurants, pubs—anything but just residential.”

“If there’s no retail and only a park, it attracts fewer people,” said Nathan Mackintosh, 54, a designer at Mari Design, nearby. “We have just barely enough of a sense of community right now.”
...continues at the NW Examiner.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 4:10 AM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
HSW: health safety welfare.
Health Safety Welfare is only "the party line". While yes, there are reviews to ensure sound design (using that term generously in some cases) and safety, the real reason the city has such an intensive permitting process is that it is an excuse to rack up tax revenue....oh I'm sorry, I meant permitting fees - lots of them.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
...the real reason the city has such an intensive permitting process is that it is an excuse to rack up tax revenue....oh I'm sorry, I meant permitting fees - lots of them.
...Um, actually, no. BDS is a drop in the bucket for CoP, they barely fund themselves. Water and sewer are the big fee hogs which do not add to the general fund in any significant way because they are legally not allowed to. Check it out for yourself: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/omf/?c=26053

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
...Um, actually, no. BDS is a drop in the bucket for CoP, they barely fund themselves. Water and sewer are the big fee hogs which do not add to the general fund in any significant way because they are legally not allowed to. Check it out for yourself: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/omf/?c=26053
Which proves my point... They are not adding to the general fund -no, but they are validating thier own over bloated existence by racking up fees to fund thier own agency. As someone who has worked for government, I know what goes on in agency budget meetings. I now own own a private business and have dealt with the Bureau of Development [dis]Services. There, we have a pile of individuals that "collect a paycheck" for a living, the paycheck is funded by.... fees.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:01 AM

Let's keep the comments focused on the Vista Pearl project.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:07 PM

Some pics from a Canadian tourist:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:43 PM

Great Pics!!

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 2:51 AM

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:37 PM

I tried to go to the pre-sales event yesterday, but the sales office closed early – I think they were having trouble keeping track of what units were already reserved because things were changing too fast.

Pricing seems similar to the Cosmopolitan, about $800-900/sf for comparable units. This surprised me, since the Cosmo was definitely marketed as being the very top end of the market, whereas the Vista didn’t seem to be marketed in this manner.

Anyway, demand for condos in this building seems high. I got a quick peek at the “reserved” stickers in the building map, and pretty much all the units I had any interest in where already reserved by 3:30 on the first day ...

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I tried to go to the pre-sales event yesterday, but the sales office closed early – I think they were having trouble keeping track of what units were already reserved because things were changing too fast.

Pricing seems similar to the Cosmopolitan, about $800-900/sf for comparable units. This surprised me, since the Cosmo was definitely marketed as being the very top end of the market, whereas the Vista didn’t seem to be marketed in this manner.

Anyway, demand for condos in this building seems high. I got a quick peek at the “reserved” stickers in the building map, and pretty much all the units I had any interest in where already reserved by 3:30 on the first day ...
Interesting. Yet the pearl builds 20 stories or higher about every 3 years or so if that

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Interesting. Yet the pearl builds 20 stories or higher about every 3 years or so if that
The NV is significantly above 20 stories (26, I think).

So between the Cosmopolitan, the NV, and the Vista, it's more like one building >20 stories every year...

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

Not saying this is happening here, but an old strategy used by CRE in the marketing of condos, was to put a bunch of stickers on the showroom display plans on large swaths of unreserved units... to make it look like demand is hot. If pressed, they would justify it by calling them 'releases' and only 'release' more blocks of available units when a certain number of units had been actually put under contract. The reality of units reserved, might be different.

In contrast, during the heydey of the Pearl Condo boom, The Henry was mostly sold off in one night at a 'release' party. a few years later... It took Pat Kessi & Geoff Wenker a few YEARS to sell off 937 units through the downturn.

This may be perfectly legit demand at HSP's property, however. Its a nice project.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:32 PM

There is strong interest from buyers- people seem to love the pearl and there are few opportunities to buy there.

Over 60 units were reserved and Hoyt is in the process of getting these under contract.

Even at these prices, I expect the building to be sold well before completion- similar to the Cosmo.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland