HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wheels View Post
The Window wall panels look reallyt cheap, and there are open gaps. The underside of the balconies are too big and close to the street. maybe they will paint them but UGLY. this is the same architect who designed SPICE and look at the materials used there. The stone looks great, just dont look any higher than the first floor.
What would be your solution to all of those issues?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wheels View Post
The Window wall panels look reallyt cheap, and there are open gaps. The underside of the balconies are too big and close to the street. maybe they will paint them but UGLY. this is the same architect who designed SPICE and look at the materials used there. The stone looks great, just dont look any higher than the first floor.
Not a huge fan of the window wall... I think it should either be glazed curtainwall, or a solid wall with punched openings... clad in a stone (ha! the budget!) or porcelain/ceramic cladding in modules that look like stone - 12x24 or larger... regular sizes, to contrast the ironstone on the base.

Can't say I hate large balconies though. Also can't say that I think painting concrete would do much for it.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:19 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Not a huge fan of the window wall... I think it should either be glazed curtainwall, or a solid wall with punched openings... clad in a stone (ha! the budget!) or porcelain/ceramic cladding in modules that look like stone - 12x24 or larger... regular sizes, to contrast the ironstone on the base.

Can't say I hate large balconies though. Also can't say that I think painting concrete would do much for it.
I like large balconies too, it's the bare concrete that is left unfinished i dont like. like many foundations are left bare concrete unfinished. in some cases it works, but not the Underside of a large balcony so close to a street. to me this can ruin the entire look of the facade. especially on this project. like i said, just dont look up. i would stain the concrete underside of the balconies. pretty simple.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:45 AM

The balconies will not be left unfinished. There is a sophet system that will be going into place under the balconies...

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
The balconies will not be left unfinished. There is a sophet system that will be going into place under the balconies...
Thank you, "That is music to my ears"

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:40 PM

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 8:25 PM

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:35 AM
we built this city

Looking great! Bringing people and cohesion to this part of downtown.

Any details on this roof feature (hoping its not seamfoam green metal pretending to be copper patina... real copper would definitely work though).

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:05 PM

The stone work is looking very nice but I have some concerns. Some metal sheeting has gone up along the walls in behind the stone posts.

20170518_153309 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20170518_153259 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20170518_153512 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:08 AM

The stonework is outstanding, but sheet metal, it is hard to imagine why they would put a cheap cladding with an expensive one.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 11:26 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The stonework is outstanding, but sheet metal, it is hard to imagine why they would put a cheap cladding with an expensive one.
The whole building looks cheap. Its not like it used to be when architects made decisions on materials. especially this architect. they are afraid to make decisions due to liability. they allow the developer to pick and choose materials regardless of performance or look. and by the looks of the $3.00 sf metal panels...i would say they match the cheap window wall.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:16 PM

Yeah, the podium is looking nice with the stone, but anything above that looks underwhelming and cheap. Kinda disappointed with this one so far, especially when compared to the earlier designs.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:28 PM

That's too bad, as I had high hopes for this one.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stonework, but the other cladding is disappointing at best.

Oh well, maybe when all is said and done it will look better than expected...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth