HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:57 PM

Porter Hotel (Curio by Hilton) | 190' | 16 floors | Complete

-------------------------

Original Post:

Wanting to see if anyone has information about the building at corner of SW 2nd and SW Jefferson...seemingly abandoned for quite some time. It is on the southwest corner of the intersection, immediately behind the Essex House Apartment building (west half of the block) and just north of parking lot (other quarter of the block.)

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 11:20 PM

If you mean this, then apparently it's a "dangerous building".

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 2:09 AM

I used to walk by that building every day - it's in a great spot. It's too bad that the block couldn't be utilized more fully.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 8:14 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I lived next door to that building 14 years ago when I was in the Essex House. I didn't understand why it was abandoned then. I don't understand it now.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:48 PM

I've always wondered how that building was spared during the Great Demolition of South Portland. It must have a story...would be great to see it renovated.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 6:33 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I've always wondered how that building was spared during the Great Demolition of South Portland. It must have a story...would be great to see it renovated.
i believe it was once the offices of the Pendleton Woolen Mills company.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:52 AM

Thanks bvpcvm.

I noticed in that document that there is activity happening with that empty old white brick building at 2nd and Jefferson that we were discussing awhile back (couldn't find the thread). The developer is none other than the Fosler guy behind the Freedom Apt's in the Pearl. He is proposing either rehabbing the building or demolishing it and building anew -- let's hope they save this building and rehab it, it's one of the last S Portland fabric buildings in the area and it's a Rank III resource in the Historic Inventory.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 3:08 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I've always liked that building. It's been vacant for ages. God, I lived in the Essex House back in 1998, and I'm pretty sure it was vacant then. As much as I hope they save it, it has a tough location being across the street from two solid blocks of parking garages, so even new construction would be better than the abandoned building we have now... but, yeah, I'd love to see it saved and brought back to life.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Also, pre-app for either renovation of the white building @218 SW Jefferson into mixed use or to tear it down and build 3 new buildings there.
Was walking by there the other day and thought I'd take a few pics. Couldn't remember it until I saw it -- nice little building, hope they at least leave Veritable Quandary alone!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:24 PM
Now in Portland!

I also like this building, but it is not the building that will possibly be demolished. The building you've shown is at 1st and Jefferson. 218 SW Jefferson is at 2nd and Jefferson and is currently unrenovated and vacant.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:54 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
I also like this building, but it is not the building that will possibly be demolished. The building you've shown is at 1st and Jefferson. 218 SW Jefferson is at 2nd and Jefferson and is currently unrenovated and vacant.
The building that will be demolished would require a full seismic upgrade and has some grade issues as well. It's vacant, and has been forever. It's not a huge loss.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
Ha! Oops. Thanks for the heads-up, I just walked by thinking this was it but didn't have the exact address in mind -- anyway, glad that it is safe, I kinda like it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
PDX City-State: The building that will be demolished would require a full seismic upgrade and has some grade issues as well. It's vacant, and has been forever. It's not a huge loss.
Any idea what the history is of the building? I'm curious how it even survived the great South Portland Demolition. I wouldn't, at this point, call it a "huge loss" if it goes. However, it is a nice old fabric building and we've seen many times over how a renovation of buildings like these (like the Cox Cleaners/Tasty & Alder bldg) can turn out really nice. Also, Fosler's development history gives me pause -- if it was a potential new project with compelling actors I wouldn't bat an eye at the demolition, but in this case it could end up being far preferable from an architectural and urban fabric perspective to just have the guy renovate the existing building and not curse us with "Freedom Apartments Part II".

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:42 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Also, Fosler's development history gives me pause -- if it was a potential new project with compelling actors I wouldn't bat an eye at the demolition, but in this case it could end up being far preferable from an architectural and urban fabric perspective to just have the guy renovate the existing building and not curse us with "Freedom Apartments Part II".
Fosler is terrible.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 8:56 PM

Apparently they decided to demolish the building on SW 2nd and Jefferson

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:18 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Apparently they decided to demolish the building on SW 2nd and Jefferson

Are there plans for the site? I always hoped they'd rehab the building, kind of like the one a block away on 1st & Jefferson.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 12:39 AM

^There is a demolition permit on Portlandmaps, but no proposed development permits yet. The ownership group is Pendleton PDX LLC which shares an address in the Pearl with Wander Development. I can't find information about either company. However, those companies also share the same address as the owners of the "Freedom" Center FREEDOM CENTER I LLC % OVERTON PEARL LLC.

I've heard (read?) that if they couldn't salvage the building, they would erect a similar structure.

I hope plans have changed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 4:32 AM

Quote:
There is a demolition permit on Portlandmaps, but no proposed development permits yet. The ownership group is Pendleton PDX LLC which shares an address in the Pearl with Wander Development. I can't find information about either company. However, those companies also share the same address as the owners of the "Freedom" Center FREEDOM CENTER I LLC % OVERTON PEARL LLC.
The architect/developer is Fosler, the idiot who brought us "Freedom Center" and the identical 2-story apartment buildings on MLK with 6-foot-tall chain link fences at pedestrian level. This guy needs to be stopped before he takes another shit on our beautiful city.

Depressing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 6:05 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
The architect/developer is Fosler, the idiot who brought us "Freedom Center" and the identical 2-story apartment buildings on MLK with 6-foot-tall chain link fences at pedestrian level. This guy needs to be stopped before he takes another shit on our beautiful city.

Depressing.
Much as I hate to say it, it'd be better to have that than to have a vacant lot for decades to come, especially if the surface parking lot on 2nd & Columbia is going away too. Back in the late 90s, I lived in The Essex House apartments on the other half of the block. This building was vacant back then and probably had been for a long time. Assuming the developer has both the 1/4 block building and its parking lot to work with, that's half a city block.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 6:07 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I've heard (read?) that if they couldn't salvage the building, they would erect a similar structure.

I hope plans have changed.
I hope so too because, if they replace it with a similar structure, it means keeping the surface parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland