HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:25 PM

I saw some, what I assume is, concrete forms being built for the Richmond-Brighouse bus loop. Forgot to take a pic of it though.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:55 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Is that city property?
You need clearance from CN to access the cut, so I'm assuming it's up to CN to do any maintenance, including fishing knickers out of the trees.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
You need clearance from CN to access the cut, so I'm assuming it's up to CN to do any maintenance, including fishing knickers out of the trees.
Lol. And all the covers over the tracks over the other overpasses.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I was exiting Commercial - Broadway Station and noticed this rendering.

"Outside view of north pedestrian walkway after upgrades"

May 3 '17, my pic

And a pic for comparison.

May 5 '17, my pic

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:20 AM

Small update as per Translink website:

"On Monday, May 8, the walkway adjacent to the bus loop on the west side will temporarily close for widening of the pathway. The walkway is expected to reopen on Friday evening on May 12.

-When construction is complete, the new walkway will be 3 metres wide, double the width of the existing walkway, and will provide safer customer access to and from Metrotown Station.
-Customers can use the east crosswalk to enter and exit the station.
-There will be no access between the west crosswalk onto Central Boulevard to the main station entrance during the time of work.
-Additional traffic flaggers and staff will be on site to help direct customers out of the station to the bus loop, mall, and other key destinations.
-The walkway closure will not affect SkyTrain or bus service."

I do agree that that walkway is really narrow. I can't recall if the path between the mall entrance and the crosswalk nearest to the old pedestrian bridge is accessible.

Last edited by Express691; May 10, 2017 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
Small update as per Translink website:

"On Monday, May 8, the walkway adjacent to the bus loop on the west side will temporarily close for widening of the pathway. The walkway is expected to reopen on Friday evening on May 12.

-When construction is complete, the new walkway will be 3 metres wide, double the width of the existing walkway, and will provide safer customer access to and from Metrotown Station.
-Customers can use the east crosswalk to enter and exit the station.
-There will be no access between the west crosswalk onto Central Boulevard to the main station entrance during the time of work.
-Additional traffic flaggers and staff will be on site to help direct customers out of the station to the bus loop, mall, and other key destinations.
-The walkway closure will not affect SkyTrain or bus service."

I do agree that that walkway is really narrow. I can't recall if the path between the mall entrance and the crosswalk nearest to the old pedestrian bridge is accessible.
I wonder why this wasn't done before the footbridge was closed last November.
This work seems to create another condition for passengers to get used to and comfortable using the crosswalk.
I feel pessimistic about getting the replacement footbridge built.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 9:32 PM

The new Joyce station East station house. The size is a lot bigger than the original one and the platform does seem to have extended by a few meters.
I wish new loop truss is used for the platform extension. Instead 2 steel beam were added. This just doesn't match the original design.
The escalator enclosure looks better than the rendering using lighter colored panel.

Picture I took today.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 9:53 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
I wonder why this wasn't done before the footbridge was closed last November.
This work seems to create another condition for passengers to get used to and comfortable using the crosswalk.
I feel pessimistic about getting the replacement footbridge built.
I feel the same way about the foot bridge...I think that they are just going to quietly drop it from the project and hope nobody screams about it too loudly...This is complete BS - the main entrance to the mall will consist of two narrow paths that squeeze peds through the bus station...

But, the existing footbridge is still there...I would not be surprised if they keep it and just re-build the stairwell on the south side of central boulevard. Maybe that is the backup plan?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 10:01 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
I wish new loop truss is used for the platform extension. Instead 2 steel beam were added. This just doesn't match the original design.
Lmao. It's been known for at least a year now that they had no plans to put in more hoop trusses. Nothing about the new entrance matches the old station.
I really do hate how while each station was done on a per-contract basis they left that part of the expansion to the designers, hence why Metrotown got new hoop trusses but New Westminster and Joyce did not.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
But, the existing footbridge is still there...I would not be surprised if they keep it and just re-build the stairwell on the south side of central boulevard. Maybe that is the backup plan?
This might not be a bad idea and it would be a cheaper solution. I think it was shown in a proposed design rendering before.
Hopefully when the bus loop is redeveloped in future, a shorter footbridge can be incorporated into the design.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Lmao. It's been known for at least a year now that they had no plans to put in more hoop trusses. Nothing about the new entrance matches the old station.
I really do hate how while each station was done on a per-contract basis they left that part of the expansion to the designers, hence why Metrotown got new hoop trusses but New Westminster and Joyce did not.
they should have forced the designers to follow the same design so the station look continuous and the same throughout the system. now we have multiple designs from multiple decades making frankenstein stations. plus with everything being modular it decreases costs; the reason they did it like that in the 80s. just change the # of trusses and everything else remains the same.

i don't get this aversion to constantly need to change designs up from station to station from decade to decade. pick a style, and stick with it. sure change out the mesh for windows, green for another colour or whatever. but leave the structure the same.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
The annoying thing for me isn't the hoop truss in particular, but that the supports for the glass are also totally different in the new section. It probably won't line up with the rest of the glass (just like how the two sections of mesh didn't match up)

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:45 AM

Same with Lougheed how the new platform doesn't use the same glass supports as the others. Consistency has never been a requirement.

Commercial-Broadway is going to be the greatest Frankenstation once complete. Hoop trusses, wood/curved concrete Millennium expansion, now steel and glass trellis.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I feel the same way about the foot bridge...I think that they are just going to quietly drop it from the project and hope nobody screams about it too loudly...This is complete BS - the main entrance to the mall will consist of two narrow paths that squeeze peds through the bus station...

I think at the moment (while the station has not yet been fully built out and only the Centre entry is open), people are just short cutting to the Mall's bus loop entrance - it's not the Mall's main entrance at all. All the signs to the mall at the station direct people to the east cross walks (presumably because they don't want people crossing in front of buses in the bus loop). The Mall's main pedestrian entry is actually a nicely landscaped wide grand staircase leading from the street opposite the east of the Station - once the East station house is built the 4 escalators will drop passengers near double crosswalks that are near the official entry, and that will be the quickest way to access the mall with the least effort.

Link below is a Google map view showing Metropolis's main pedestrian entry - red brick pavers with a fountain. People are not forced to go the narrow crowded bus loop route at all to get into the mall, they just choose to.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Met...4d-123.0037583

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 8:38 PM

Does anyone know what's going on at Royal Oak Station? I've noticed white plastic sheeting on the outside at the elevator end, and temporary stairs at the other end of the platform. I haven't seen any other work and I don't think I've seen any workmen at the station either. I tried searching TransLink's site but search is down and I didn't find anything by rooting around manually.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:06 AM
SkyTrain Nut

My suspicion is they are painting it?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transiteer View Post
Link below is a Google map view showing Metropolis's main pedestrian entry - red brick pavers with a fountain. People are not forced to go the narrow crowded bus loop route at all to get into the mall, they just choose to.
They can put in as many fountains and red brick pavers as they want, but people will still choose the entrance that's the most convenient (read: shortest distance from transit). That's the real main pedestrian entrance, like it or not.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 4:15 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
They can put in as many fountains and red brick pavers as they want, but people will still choose the entrance that's the most convenient (read: shortest distance from transit). That's the real main pedestrian entrance, like it or not.
Agreed - very few people use that stairwell...

I guess the staff that I am mostly disappointed by is that there was a chance to do something interesting and good for connectivity and walkabilty with recent renovations to Station Square and the Sky Train station and absolutely nothing got done, and in fact things probably got worse...Now its going to be set in stone for the next 20+ years.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Agreed - very few people use that stairwell...

I guess the staff that I am mostly disappointed by is that there was a chance to do something interesting and good for connectivity and walkabilty with recent renovations to Station Square and the Sky Train station and absolutely nothing got done, and in fact things probably got worse...Now its going to be set in stone for the next 20+ years.
I think I'll wait and see what it's like when it's all finished before passing judgement.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:53 AM

The footbridge closure must be detrimental to the business for A&W, Chipotle and Starbucks.
Otherwise the mall wouldn't need to post the following new sign at the bus loop mall entrance.
Hope the stores can survive until the replacement footbridge is built, if it ever get built.

Picture I took today, don't remember seeing the sign yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure