HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 5:54 PM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/spacelist-p...pdf?1474388440

This shows the retail site plan for the town centre. Grocery included in one of the four buildings

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:42 AM
BANNED

The significant scale of this project leads me to believe that there will be increased vehicular traffic gridlock/jams along SW Marine Way necessitating the need for an improve public transportation system into the given area (one that includes some form of time saving grade separated -transit-mode).

Last edited by Caliplanner1; Mar 3, 2017 at 7:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
The significant scale of this project leads me to believe that there will be increased vehicular traffic gridlock/jams along SW Marine Drive necessitating the need for an improve public transportation system into the given area (one that includes some form of time saving grade separated -transit-mode).
they even added 4 new intersections along it, in a 1km stretch. 4 intersections. 2 of which are unnecessary and should be dead-end streets that don't meet up with Marine Way.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:42 PM

I like how they have improved on the mixed use/retail area planning compared to other new neighbourhood master plans in Vancouver, in that they allowed a continuation of retail/other non-residential uses all the way to the point of attraction, and I suppose in this case along both sides of River District Crossing down to the riverfront/marina. That would actually create a more vibrant street scene and a concentration of services for the convenience of residents.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:25 PM
A hole being Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
The significant scale of this project leads me to believe that there will be increased vehicular traffic gridlock/jams along SW Marine Way necessitating the need for an improve public transportation system into the given area (one that includes some form of time saving grade separated -transit-mode).
Unlikely that the planning department run by Vision Vancouver will do anything about it but blame/ask the province or translink.

The provincial government sold the former Vancouver Coastal Health 25.4 acre site 'The George Pearson Lands' for $302 million 2 years ago.

Onni and the City Planner are the beginning stages right now, but they're expecting 2,300,000 sq.ft. of residential space.

It's located at 57th & Cambie, where room was left to build a Canada Line station with the future redevelopment -- as Richmond is doing with Capstan Way, where the $25 million cost will be split among 3250 new units.

However recent private negotiations between the chief planner and Onni quietly settled on backing away from building the station @ 57th&Cambie, as they tested the waters at the open house. That's a very loyal city staffer right there showing disgust at inconsistency/favors

If $11 per sq.ft. is too much for the public to ask in return for about a billion in sales, then it's fire sale season by Vision Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
Unlikely that the planning department run by Vision Vancouver will do anything about it but blame/ask the province or translink.

The provincial government sold the former Vancouver Coastal Health 25.4 acre site 'The George Pearson Lands' for $302 million 2 years ago.

Onni and the City Planner are the beginning stages right now, but they're expecting 2,300,000 sq.ft. of residential space.

It's located at 57th & Cambie, where room was left to build a Canada Line station with the future redevelopment -- as Richmond is doing with Capstan Way, where the $25 million cost will be split among 3250 new units.

However recent private negotiations between the chief planner and Onni quietly settled on backing away from building the station @ 57th&Cambie, as they tested the waters at the open house. That's a very loyal city staffer right there showing disgust at inconsistency/favors

If $11 per sq.ft. is too much for the public to ask in return for about a billion in sales, then it's fire sale season by Vision Vancouver
While I agree that this development should absolutely include and pay for the 57th Ave Station, you seem to be confusing a number of different groups here: CoV, Translink, Provincial Health Authorities, and the Province of BC.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:01 PM
A hole being Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
While I agree that this development should absolutely include and pay for the 57th Ave Station, you seem to be confusing a number of different groups here: CoV, Translink, Provincial Health Authorities, and the Province of BC.
No, I'm not. Keep asking questions if you don't understand, because I must not be explaining it in the right way, and I'd have to do a lot less ranting if facts and their significance were accepted.
  • The deal for the Canada Line is the city pays for any stations built later.
    eg Richmond has to pay for Capstan way
  • Mentioning the sale price of the Pearson lands is just to mention the scope. It's a huge project.
  • When the City approves its rezoning, it is creating a lot of buildable floor space out of thin air worth a huge amount of money at market price. The income from rezonings is supposed to stay in the same community, and be spent on a project exactly like a subway station.
  • The CoV is silently letting it be known it wants less money, or to redirect that money elsewhere. This is crazy, it goes clearly against the Greenest City Action plan they've spent hundreds of thousands in PR on.

All proposals are pre-approved by the planning department, it's a private negotiation and the open houses are a way of testing opposition. It will continue being amended privately and presented publicly until the planning department recommends it be privately withdrawn, or it goes to council and will get passed automatically. The only exception I know of right now was when retiring VV Councillor George Chow voted against the Shannon Mews giveaway.

So it is just an open-house presentation, but it is very significant. The indirect process is just how they cover their ass. If the opposition doesn't get worn down because they are not getting paid to work on the project, then the city will just say a silent majority approves, ignore all input, and it will be passed at a 2am meeting.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 11:03 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
No, I'm not. Keep asking questions if you don't understand, because I must not be explaining it in the right way, and I'd have to do a lot less ranting if facts and their significance were accepted.
  • The deal for the Canada Line is the city pays for any stations built later.
    eg Richmond has to pay for Capstan way
  • Mentioning the sale price of the Pearson lands is just to mention the scope. It's a huge project.
  • When the City approves its rezoning, it is creating a lot of buildable floor space out of thin air worth a huge amount of money at market price. The income from rezonings is supposed to stay in the same community, and be spent on a project exactly like a subway station.
  • The CoV is silently letting it be known it wants less money, or to redirect that money elsewhere. This is crazy, it goes clearly against the Greenest City Action plan they've spent hundreds of thousands in PR on.

All proposals are pre-approved by the planning department, it's a private negotiation and the open houses are a way of testing opposition. It will continue being amended privately and presented publicly until the planning department recommends it be privately withdrawn, or it goes to council and will get passed automatically. The only exception I know of right now was when retiring VV Councillor George Chow voted against the Shannon Mews giveaway.

So it is just an open-house presentation, but it is very significant. The indirect process is just how they cover their ass. If the opposition doesn't get worn down because they are not getting paid to work on the project, then the city will just say a silent majority approves, ignore all input, and it will be passed at a 2am meeting.
Questions:

-Who attends this open house? Is it a public open house or one with stakeholders/possible buyers?
-Who is this disgusted city staffer? Does he/she work with the COV? Are they disgusted with their own council or department?
-Why is the city backing down on the station? How does this earn the city more money or do anything good for the city?
-Would the city have to pay anything at all for the station if Onni builds it? Also, is Richmond actually paying anything for the Capstan station as opposed to the developer?
-What does "privately withdrawn" mean?
-What do you mean by "indirect process"?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
Questions:

-Who attends this open house? Is it a public open house or one with stakeholders/possible buyers?
-Who is this disgusted city staffer? Does he/she work with the COV? Are they disgusted with their own council or department?
-Why is the city backing down on the station? How does this earn the city more money or do anything good for the city?
-Would the city have to pay anything at all for the station if Onni builds it? Also, is Richmond actually paying anything for the Capstan station as opposed to the developer?
-What does "privately withdrawn" mean?
-What do you mean by "indirect process"?
I've copied the Canada Line / Pearson posts to the Canada Line thread
They should probably be continued there instead of in this River District thread.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:45 PM

Anyone buy in Two Town Centre?

Seems like that's the one where people are going to move in first as I believe I see windows up and even the paneling is going up on the outside.

Has anyone contacted you about a firm move in date yet or not yet?

I bought Three Town Centre - told it's going to be ready for Summer this year, however user 'domusile' shared that PDF and it says 2018. BTW - Where did you get that PDF, domusile?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
they even added 4 new intersections along it, in a 1km stretch. 4 intersections. 2 of which are unnecessary and should be dead-end streets that don't meet up with Marine Way.
Yea i dont see the point of that. Good old Vancouver just keeps pissing off drivers by creating traffic instead of keeping it nice and smooth. How much you want to bet those lights wont be in sync at all with each other.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Yea i dont see the point of that. Good old Vancouver just keeps pissing off drivers by creating traffic instead of keeping it nice and smooth. How much you want to bet those lights wont be in sync at all with each other.
Sadly the sensors are not calibrated right at the traffic light closest to boundary, sometimes goes red
Already screws everything up

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Of course they are not synced, that would make too much sense. I take Marine every day in both directions and the section between Elliot and Boundary is constantly a mess. Lights can even turn red for Marine when cars turn right from a side street which is idiotic and then there are the drivers that turn left across Marine where there are no lights stopping 20 cars behind them as they wait for an opening in traffic.

I really need to find a different route .

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:59 AM

First buildings starting to make their mark. As seen from Metrotown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 6:25 AM

snapped one today from burnaby side of boundary on marine.

2017-04-22_03-01-37 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domusile View Post
https://s3.amazonaws.com/spacelist-p...pdf?1474388440

This shows the retail site plan for the town centre. Grocery included in one of the four buildings
Slightly updated version:

http://form.ca/riverdistrict.pdf

EDIT: I think the one I posted is an older version, as yours says "completed deal" in a couple places.
But odd that yours says "Speciality Wine & Liquor store" and mine says "Everything Wine" - so maybe that negotiation fell through.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Slightly updated version:

http://form.ca/riverdistrict.pdf

EDIT: I think the one I posted is an older version, as yours says "completed deal" in a couple places.
But odd that yours says "Speciality Wine & Liquor store" and mine says "Everything Wine" - so maybe that negotiation fell through.
I think the one you posted is up to date. I am assuming Specialty Wine was inserted there before the lease deal was inked and has since been updated with the specific tenant, Everything Wine.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 6:03 AM

Here's an aerial of the site I took while flying in to YVR. Sorry if it's too big - I decided to post the second largest size so you can make out everything from far away. Bonus skylines behind with Joyce, Metrotown, and Brentwood all visible.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 7:01 AM

june 1

2017-06-01_11-53-57 by snub_you, on Flickr

2017-06-01_11-54-18 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:07 AM

Finally logged back in to my photobucket so here's a big update from today.

Rhythm:

Town Centre:

Featuring a (rare) 4-car train!

Site was empty so I walked inside, things are shaping up nicely, including pavers in front of and signage installed on TC 2:

The new E-W crescent street:

Town Centre 4 in the opposite direction from the last pic:

The backside of TC 1.. There's now a large surface parking lot for some reason:

Avalon:

New street signs at the intersection... Suggests that there will also be a W Sawmill Crescent which is odd in Vancouver:

Forget the name of this one, south of Rhythm:

Bonus pics of the rental development at Kent and Jellicoe:

And more bonus pics of the other rental development along Kent:

All photos mine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver