HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:15 AM

Mayor Moonbeam Goes to Copenhagen

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Vancouver has a 'green' message for the world. Mayor Gregor Robertson is off to Copenhagen tomorrow for a mayors' conference on climate change, and he's got a little bit to brag about.

Robertson's main goal is to attract eco-friendly businesses to Vancouver, but he also says Vancouver has proven a city can 'go green' and cut greenhouse gas emissions while still creating jobs. He says Vancouver has reduced emissions to 1990s levels, while still seeing a 27 per cent increase in population and 18 per cent increase in jobs and employment.

Robertson says one of the biggest challenges will be getting the federal government on side with Vancouver's push to be the 'greenest' city in the world in 10 years. The mayor wasn't able to say how much money his trip to Copenhagen will cost.
(Bold mine)
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/m...10_150218_9044

Hardly a necessary trip when you have a $61 million deficit.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:29 AM
Dérive-r

The cost of a plane ticket seems like a very cheap way to market the City in my mind. Deficit or not it is money well spent.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:46 AM

Well it depends, if he is flying economy, that is ok, but if he is flying first class, then prices start to mount. Also you have to remember accommodation, food, etc.. and for some reason prices always seem to skyrocket when a politician goes somewhere compared to your common vacation traveler. (Also, is it just him, or is an entire entourage going)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
The cost of a plane ticket seems like a very cheap way to market the City in my mind. Deficit or not it is money well spent.
Its not just the cost of a plane ticket. If it was, I'm sure Gregor the Green could have easily told us the cost of this junket.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:58 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Totally a personal interest thing for him. Is the objective for this summit not to bring about climate change targets?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:59 AM

Mayor Moonbeam? Hmmmm... yeah he does have some affinity with former Governor Moonbeam.

At least Gregor hasn't proposed the establishment of a city space academy and the purchasing of a satellite that would be launched into orbit to provide emergency communications for the city. (unlike Governor Moonbeam)

I hope that Gregor has also purchased his carbon credits to offset the jet fuel exhaust. Or at least planted some more vegetables on the former city lawn.

All kidding aside, there is certainly nothing wrong for Vancouver's mayor to attend the Copenhagen mayor's conference on climate change. It would be something right up his green alley.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:13 AM
testify

vancouver's about to have the olympics with a green theme. if mayor gregor weren't there, that would be the weird thing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
vancouver's about to have the olympics with a green theme. if mayor gregor weren't there, that would be the weird thing.
I would expect our Prime Minister and Premier to represent. The whole dog and pony show doesn't need to go, especially since nothing meaningful will be established as a result.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:15 AM

Yes, if all of these people weren't flying over on large airliners, or private jets, to combat climate change, that would be just silly.

Just as the "anti-flying" ads are coming out...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:16 AM

as long as it is for pushing businesses to set up shop in Vancouver, then i am all for it. Even green machines need to be designed and built somewhere.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I would expect our Prime Minister and Premier to represent. The whole dog and pony show doesn't need to go, especially since nothing meaningful will be established as a result.
You don't know that. It's actually a great opportunity to showcase our green cred on an international stage and important to show that Vancouver is taking action on climate change - even if our federal gov won't.

It's a small cost with many long term benefits. If he convinces even one city to travel to Vancouver to study our podiums and seawall, the trip will have paid off. I'm sure there will be plenty of dividends.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 5:26 AM
Transit User

Good. Finally somebody to help Gore fight the Man-Bear-Pig.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Its not just the cost of a plane ticket. If it was, I'm sure Gregor the Green could have easily told us the cost of this junket.
File a freedom of information request.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:29 AM

Quote:
[I]VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Vancouver has a 'green' message for the world. Mayor Gregor Robertson is off to Copenhagen tomorrow for a mayors' conference on climate change, and he's got a little bit to brag about.
This is my problem. What exactly can he brag about? So far he's full of hot air. No results, not even any real plans. STFU and GBTW.

Regarding the deficit, give me a look at the finances, I'm betting I could balance the budget and make sure all of the services stay open. There's tons of fat in the system, guaranteed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:46 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I just want to point out that whatever he is "bragging" about is years of work of the city through some previous mayors, not actually his.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 10:04 AM

For years, the city of Vancouver has lacked direction. Our economic calling card was once forestry, mining, and fisheries, but for years now those industries have all been in decline. Ask someone from Europe what they know about our city, and they'll likely tell you about how "pretty" we are, or how we're a "nice place to live".

Gregor Robertson at least has a vision, whether you buy into it or not. He's the first mayor to truly attempt to rebrand Vancouver as something more than a mountain and ocean that happens to also house a city. Where there is change, there is always great opportunity, and he is attempting to capitalize on that by positioning Vancouver as the greenest city in NA. It's a natural fit for the city that gave birth to Greenpeace and individuals like David Suzuki.

I'm a Marketing professional, and in my opinion, this is something that is long overdue. We are in a global fight for talent and relevance, and if we don't attempt to carve out our niche, we will easily be surpassed by other cities that better understand the issues at hand.

I'm not saying that becoming the Greenest city is the answer to all our problems, but I do think it makes perfect sense and could pay huge dividends for us further down the line. Better to be known as a progressive, forward thinking, and tolerant city, than simply a pretty one searching for its voice.

Poster "Whatnext" actually mentioned that he expects our Prime Minister and Premier to represent us. That's the funniest joke I've heard all year. At this moment, our federal government is over there fighting tooth and nail against the environmental movement, and would rather protect the status quo than taking initiative and leadership on the subject.

With all that's at stake, and the multi-billion dollar Olympics right around the corner, I think a few bucks spent on a plane ticket and a hotel room is money well spent. We've dumped billions of dollars on getting the Olympics, and yet we bitch about spending a few thousand dollars to brand ourselves for when those TV cameras actually arrive and attempt to tell our story.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 11:15 AM
+

Quote:

Hardly a necessary trip when you have a $61 million deficit. :koko:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbe View Post
...Poster "Whatnext" actually mentioned that he expects our Prime Minister and Premier to represent us. That's the funniest joke I've heard all year. At this moment, our federal government is over there fighting tooth and nail against the environmental movement, and would rather protect the status quo than taking initiative and leadership on the subject.
Perhaps the PM is more realistic than Mayor Moonbeam. And if you're not keen on Harper, our beloved Gordon Campbell ushered in N. America's first carbon tax, surely giving him the best of green credentials. Who exactly is Gregor preaching to at Copenhagen?

And then there's this stat he trotted out:

Robertson's main goal is to attract eco-friendly businesses to Vancouver, but he also says Vancouver has proven a city can 'go green' and cut greenhouse gas emissions while still creating jobs. He says Vancouver has reduced emissions to 1990s levels, while still seeing a 27 per cent increase in population and 18 per cent increase in jobs and employment.

A bit disingenuous, as that could easily be explained by Vancouver turfing out (higher paying) manufacturing and primary industry jobs to the suburbs and replacing them with (lower paying ) service industry jobs. And if we've had a 27% increase in population, but only an 18% increase in jobs, that's 9% who are driving somewhere else to work.

I wonder how many other industries (ie. shipping) are wondering nervously what costs will be added to their business by Mayor Moonbeam.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:21 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Perhaps the PM is more realistic than Mayor Moonbeam.
I don't think that neglecting the risks to our planet that most countries seem to acknowledge is being "more realistic".

Quote:
And if we've had a 27% increase in population, but only an 18% increase in jobs, that's 9% who are driving somewhere else to work.
Not all of those 27% would be workers. Plenty of people move to Vancouver with kids.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:31 PM

he's going to Copenhagen for a mayors conference on climate change along with 55 other mayors from all over the world.

it would be stupid for him (and the city) NOT to go and be part of those talks.
Calgary, Toronto, LA, Sydney, Tokyo, Paris, London, etc mayors are all there.

but wait. our mayor shouldn't go because of the airline and hotel tab?
give me a f**kn break.

climate summit for mayors website: http://www.climatesummitformayors.dk/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics