HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 10:26 PM

Yeah i know, i find this entire discussion hilarious.

it is almost as if game 7 in the Stanley cup finals for the Canucks was a regional wide event, hence many people from outside of the city would be at the primary observation point.

As I said before, if there was a massive riot at the Merritt Mountain music festival I am willing to be that the majority of such participants would not be from Merritt

The same thing would have been true if the primary viewing centre for the Canucks game was in Maple Ridge, or Richmond, the majority of the rioters would not have been from these communities, and then we could have blamed all the rowdues from Vancouver

It really is ignorant to believe that those from other communities Vancouver are more prone to riot than those from Vancouver, I laugh especially hard to those who even extend that believe to a sudden cultural shift across boundary, as if those in Joyce and Nanaimo are so different than those in Brentwood and Metrotown,

Some of the biggest douche bags I know live in Yaletown for the record, and I would not be surprised at all if they participated in the riots.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
Essentially what you are saying is that people from outside the city of Vancouver are for some reason more likely to join a riot?

That is such an ignorant and naive opinion, and your logic of using "'outing the rioters blogs'" (Facebook) a highly unscientific and anecdotal source to back up your incredibly weak argument is simply ridiculous.

Many City of Vancouver residence took part in the riot along with people from Surrey, Burnaby and other suburban cities. Sorry to break the news to you but the city of Vancouver has bad people too.
What I am saying is that we still need more data (facts) about the participants of the riot. The little facts we do have does suggest that there was a heavier proportion of non Vancouverites there.

So far, your ignorance and naivety are being displayed.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 10:39 PM

wow, again it is almost as if this were a regional wide event!!!!!!

like any regional wide event most of the people will be from out of town, how strange!!!!!

It is almost as if Vancouver is only (2006 data) 27% the population of Metro-Vancouver (that number is reduced again if we also add Metro Abbotsford, not to mention all the people from the Island, the Interior and elsewhere to witness the once in 17 years event).

You know what, i am willing to bet that on the average day the convention centres are also filled with people that are largely not from Vancouver!!!!!!!

Isn't that weird? Almost as if it is the cultural, economic, social and entertainment hub of not only the metro but of the entire province!!!!

This is really getting weird now, so I guess judging by those facts, people from the burbs and abroad are more likely to attend business conferences as well compared to those from Vancouver.

That is how ridiculous people are twisting this.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think people are just looking for someone to blame, I do beleive there is a point in that people from Vancouver are less likely to damage their own backyard and we'll have to wait for the stats to come out to see if that's the case.
There have been issues with the Merritt Mountainfest and in Peachland in the past, and the same thing occurs there, the damage is caused by the outsiders and not the locals, not just because they are a tiny portion of those in attendance but because certain people act differently when not at home. It's unfortunately but we can't ignore that.
That said wherever they are from I hope they get the punishment they've earned, and we as a region move past this and learn from it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 11:45 PM
Mac User

Drunk hooligans don't care if they "damage their own backyard" or not. The people trashing downtown last week are criminals they're not people with a sense of civic pride.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I think people are just looking for someone to blame, I do beleive there is a point in that people from Vancouver are less likely to damage their own backyard and we'll have to wait for the stats to come out to see if that's the case.
There have been issues with the Merritt Mountainfest and in Peachland in the past, and the same thing occurs there, the damage is caused by the outsiders and not the locals, not just because they are a tiny portion of those in attendance but because certain people act differently when not at home. It's unfortunately but we can't ignore that.
That said wherever they are from I hope they get the punishment they've earned, and we as a region move past this and learn from it.
Well said!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It really is ignorant to believe that those from other communities Vancouver are more prone to riot than those from Vancouver
Are you seriously from Maple Ridge? Again, I notice a huge difference in public conduct every time I ride the 701, and most of the people I know from there do too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:39 AM

sigh....

That is all I can say, ok, i admit it, Vancouver is perfect and all the assholes are in the burbs, you got me!

You are so wise beyond your years.

I have never ever seen the sketchy folks on Vancouver buses, despite the fact all my most terrifying public transit experiences have been in Vancouver, around Nanaimo and other such areas...

I love this delusional thinking being shown here, well all I can say is good for you for leaving the terrible, terrible burbs and enjoy your time in the golden kingdom of Utopian Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:44 AM

You know what id funny, it just donned on me, but these threads have really began to display that the Vancouver mentality is a complete carbon copy of the Toronto superiority complex.

Therefore, I crown Vancouver the centre of the Universe (this universe being BC)

It is actually hilarious.

While I do work downtown, the people on here have now convinced me that I will no longer be buying my meals when I am there (packing lunches now), because I no longer wish to support their economy with this extreme hostility shown towards people from outside of Vancouver.

Keeping my shopping and dining out to the burbs, specifically Maple Ridge, Burnaby and Richmond (my 3 favorite)

You guys are really starting to make me hate a city I have promoted so much throughout the years (you wont believe how many tourists I have brought via friend and family connections).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:19 AM

wow a little sensitive are we?

You are upset? You should talk to my Vancouver neighbors. There is definitely an angry anti suburb mentality right now but that should pass in the near future. We had our city trashed, I watched it from my window. I am sure if another community had the same disrespect inflicted upon their neighborhood, the sediment would be similar.

Every community has many wonderfully things going for it and that is not being ignored by myself and probably other Vancouverites. Stop this childish selfpitty.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:31 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Metro, I don't think it's superiority at all, it's a case of people acting differently outside the home then inside. I fully concur that if Maple Ridge had a large region wide concert that drew in thousands and it soured and people rioted, that certain people from Vancouver would partake in trashing your city. Do we concur on that?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:12 AM

For Metro-One: the list of formal charges recommended so far:

Quote:
- Twenty year-old Edgar Ricardo Garcia of Burnaby is charged with aggravated assault stemming from an incident where two men were stabbed in the 700 block of Hornby Street on June 15.

- Twenty-seven year-old Joshua Lyle Evans of Calgary is charged with possessing a weapon dangerous to the public peace. This stems from the same incident in the 700 block of Hornby Street.

- A 21 year old man from Ladner with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participation in a riot. He is alleged to have broken a rear tail light and rear window of a green pick-up truck parked in the 300 block of West Georgia Street.

- A 19 year old man from Surrey, with no previous criminal convictions, is facing charges of break and enter, theft and participation in a riot, stemming from an incident in the 700 block of West Georgia Street. It is alleged that he entered the Hudson’s Bay Company and stole a Coach purse.

- A 17 year old youth from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of participation in a riot and of arson for allegedly lighting a police car on fire in the 100 block of West Georgia.

- An 18 year old man from Delta with no previous criminal convictions is facing a charge of mischief and participating in a riot for allegedly kicking a hole through the window of the Budget Rental Car office located in the 400 block of West Georgia.

- A 20 year old man from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participating in a riot after allegedly breaking a window of the Bank of Montreal located at Homer and West Georgia.

- A 22 year old man from Burnaby, with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of assaulting a peace officer, break and enter, mischief and participation in a riot stemming from an incident at Library Square where he allegedly threw a water bottle at the police, broke a window and then entered a building.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:25 AM
Mac User

8 charges out of 117 is an insignificantly small sample.

If you consider that to be an accurate sample of where the rioters came from you should blame people from Burnaby and Maple Ridge who apparently made up half the riot and not Surrey because according to that source an equal number of Calgarians were rioting downtown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:41 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It seems like almost every suburban city is implicated equally.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 5:06 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Grow up.

All I said it would be interesting to see where the people were from, and based on what the newscasts had shown they were predominantly not from Vancouver. Hardly constitutes "going on and on". If you read carefully, you'd noticed I'd said the professional a-holes were probably from basement suites in East Van. I've noticed on the forums that you have a knee-jerk defensiveness about being from the burbs.

There's a reason Surrey and the burbs generally had no problems because the rowdies came downtown, because it was "the place to be" You're hardly likely to find kids from Coquitlam heading to Surrey to watch the game there. And because they were away from home and (they thought) the eyes of people they knew they, they lost it.
Get a life WhatNext. You clearly have nothing else to do than to point fingers at other municipalities. I have yet to see someone from the North Shore implicated (but I'm sure I will!) - yet I am not casting stones like you are.

I have no dog in this fight. But I seriously think you need to be called out for your immature comments against the law-abiding residents of Surrey, most of whom have done nothing wrong.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 5:28 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This thread is clearly bordering on city vs city which is against forum rules. Everyone has had a chance to speak their 2cents, we have other threads that are dealing with the riot itself. I'm now going to close this one before it gets even worse. Hope the forum members understand.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation