HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:45 PM

British Columbia needs to take more risks for a better economic future

Interesting article...sums up what I've been thinking for awhile:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...424/story.html

Harvey Enchin: Want a better life? Then take risks
There would be no human progress, innovation, or medical breakthroughs without taking a gamble once in a while

By Harvey Enchin, Vancouver Sun April 27, 2012

Quote:
.....The message is clear. No risk is an acceptable risk.

Is this a tenable position? We do not live in a risk-free world. There would be no human progress without risk, no wealth creation, no innovation, no medical breakthroughs, no athletic achievements — nothing to advance our well-being, freedom and prosperity.

American economist Frank Knight defined risk as a situation where outcomes are unknown but are governed by the logic of probability. In other words, risk can be quantified and, as such, can be managed, mitigated and insured. Uncertainty, on the other hand, confronts us with “unknown unknowns” that cannot be analyzed in this way.

Too often, risk is seen as having only negative connotations; that any outcome will carry catastrophic consequences. In finance, however, risk is associated with variability, such that the greater the risk, the higher the return.

Risk that includes upside as well as downside is what drives entrepreneurs to start businesses. They know the odds: Half of business start-ups fail within the first five years, and only 29 per cent are still alive after 10 years. But the rewards of success, which are enthusiastically spelled out in every business plan, make taking that risk worthwhile. Medieval philosopher Thomas Aquinas was among the first to recognize that the capitalist who takes the risk “rightly receives the gain coming thence.”

As start-ups mature, they grow, invest and create jobs and in so doing, generate economic growth while providing incomes for families and tax revenue for governments.

In the absence of risk, there would be no Facebook, Google, Microsoft or Apple — or, for that matter, TD Canada Trust, Teck Resources or Telus.

In equities markets, investors use fundamental and technical analysis to weigh the risk of purchasing a stock. The adventurous may opt for speculative issues that offer superior growth potential; more conservative investors may choose blue chips that promise regular dividends and stability. Prudent speculation is key to free economies because it ensures liquidity. Economic vitality is enhanced when buyers and sellers can manage risk by quickly entering or exiting the market.

Too often, risk is misunderstood and some seek the impossible goal of reducing it to zero. They implore governments to regulate, or even ban, activities that they deem “too risky”, whether it’s bodychecking in hockey, chlorine in drinking water, new road construction, oil and gas drilling, military interventions, hydroelectric projects or pioneering medical treatments, to name a few.

But regulation carries the risk of stifling innovation, reducing economic growth and inviting unintended consequences. Regulations can induce the phenomenon of moral hazard, elucidated in 1975 by economist Sam Peltzman at the University of Chicago who noted a law requiring seatbelt use led to an increase in speeding. “The greater protection,” he wrote, “had reduced the price of risky driving?...?by reducing the consequences you could expect if you got into an accident.”

What’s more, estimates of the cost of compliance for federal, provincial and local regulations stood at $85.7 billion in 1994 and have certainly climbed since then (there are no reliable up-to-date figures available). The cost of tax compliance and administration alone ranges from $18.9 billion to $30.8 billion (Compliance and Administrative Costs of Taxation in Canada, Francois Vaillancourt and Jason Clemens, 2007).

Spending billions on regulation intended to limit often minor risks diverts resources from productive wealth-generating, job-creating activities, which actually increases the risk of poverty, the leader in estimated loss of life expectancy (at 3,500 days, it’s higher than smoking and heart disease). It can be argued, then, that introducing regulations that reduce job creation increases poverty, which raises the risk of death.

“People will not take entrepreneurial or speculative risks if their endeavours are not protected from arbitrary interference, if they are not guaranteed stable ownership of the capital put at risk, or if the bulk of the proceeds are sequestered from them,” wrote Samuel Gregg, an author who marries moral philosophy with political economy and is research director at the Action Institute in Grand Rapids, Mich.

As of September 2011, the capital cost of major projects under construction in British Columbia was $67.6 billion, including retail, office and condo building, mine expansions, highway improvements, school upgrades and resort development. Including proposed projects boosts the cost to $121 billion.

There’s more to come if the B.C. government realizes its goal of opening eight new mines by 2015 and building a liquefied natural gas plant near Kitimat. If it proceeds, there will be substantial economic spinoffs from the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline project between the Alberta oilsands and Kitimat.

None of these projects is without risk. There is no such thing as risk-free. British Columbians who fear to embrace risk will scare themselves into economic stagnation. Risk is not just a four-letter word; it is the catalyst for every human endeavour. It is the essential ingredient of progress.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Mac User

I agree people and businesses need to take risks; bold and innovative organizations are critical to the worlds most successful economies.

However, there is a difference between taking risks and being reckless. This opinion piece you've posted is not about innovation or taking risks to drive human progress; this is simply pro Northern Gateway pipeline propaganda.
When it comes to an oil spill that could potentially devastate our environment, economy and human health then no risk is an acceptable risk!

A risk that would actually drive human progress and innovation would be to not build the pipeline and instead develop alternative energy. Canada will be left behind if we don't become a leader in alternative energy, what we need is a sustainable economy. What will happen when the world doesn't want our dirty oil?

Enbridge’s Northern Gateway pipeline has nothing to do with progress or innovation, just a reckless risk with little benefit to BC.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:01 PM

A really valid point that could have went so many other ways instead of being a mouthpiece for the oil and gas sector.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
However, there is a difference between taking risks and being reckless.
When it comes to an oil spill that could potentially devastate our environment, economy and human health then no risk is an acceptable risk!
Logically, then one would want to halt all existing oil shipments from the Kinder Morgan pipeline in Vancouver.

pipeline jobs are high-skill and high wage jobs, compared to other fields.

Quote:
A risk that would actually drive human progress and innovation would be to not build the pipeline and instead develop alternative energy. Canada will be left behind if we don't become a leader in alternative energy, what we need is a sustainable economy. What will happen when the world doesn't want our dirty oil?
Gordon campbell introduced the carbon tax, Run-of-river private power corporations and tried to promote use of hydrogen-powered vehicles, all to different levels of success.

If you disagree with oil exports from the BC coast, do you also disagree with the LNG pipeline and terminal? how would you generate economic development, especially in the north?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:19 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
I agree people and businesses need to take risks; bold and innovative organizations are critical to the worlds most successful economies.

This article is a counter to the view points you just stated.

You said there is no acceptable risk level, when there obviously is. If there was never an acceptable risk level for things with potentially dire consequence then a lot of great advances of civilization would not have occurred. Mines would never be opened, nuclear reactors would never be opened, and we'd still be huddled around an open fire all winter.

Even if you can't engineer the risk on the Northern Gateway pipeline down to an acceptable level (which I doubt), there are other similar projects where it can and will be successfully managed. Filter out the best alternatives, and run with it; but don't use blind reckless statements like you one above.

Even Hydro projects have the potential for incredibly destructive events in the event of a failure. Look at Vajont; now picture that on any number of BC Hydro's dams.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:27 AM

Personally I don't believe in going out of the way to support unsustainable economies in remote areas. Anything that's too dirty for the lower mainland is too dirty for up north.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
pipeline jobs are high-skill and high wage jobs, compared to other fields.
That they may be, however, amount of jobs needs to also be considered. The stat that I heard was Northern Gateway would translate, post construction, into 72 jobs in BC. Laughable.

Anyways, the oil economy is a valuable judgement. Do BCers want to support the oil industry, and the pipeline with all its risks, or does it not? Frankly, there'd be far more innovation and returns to society if we didn't simply acquiesce to Alberta's interests.

As has already been pointed out, by making the call that we won't support the oil industry, we spur on the real challenges of engineering alternative energy that scales at a price point we can all except. If we don't make that call now, it will be forced onto us 20-50 years down the line, when the oil runs out, and we're left with the clean up bill to boot.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:26 AM

I'd like to see further development of what we already have in medical research. Getting the pharmaceutical industry to sprout seeds here would be a great start to diversifying the economy IMO.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I'd like to see further development of what we already have in medical research. Getting the pharmaceutical industry to sprout seeds here would be a great start to diversifying the economy IMO.
There are a disturbing # of local grads that go to California, Singapore, Australia for this reason. There's nothing here for them.

The ones that stay end up as realtors, or take a BCIT certificate to work in oil and gas.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Completely agree. If we could keep the human capital here, it could be a huge industry. Lots of research done in BC, but no commercialization.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post

Anyways, the oil economy is a valuable judgement. Do BCers want to support the oil industry, and the pipeline with all its risks, or does it not? Frankly, there'd be far more innovation and returns to society if we didn't simply acquiesce to Alberta's interests.
I'd agree that it's a value judgement, and I dislike it when I show support for Kinder Morgan's expansion or Enbridge's gateway, people think i don't care if the coast gets hit with an oil spill.

We've been shipping oil out from the trans-mountain terminal since WW2 and Cherry point has been taking large amounts of oil shipments in by boat from alaska since 1971. I would think that we can increase that safely, with benefits to the port of vancouver and prince rupert.

I agree that the risk isn't zero, but i agree with alex Mac's succinct post.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Frankly, there'd be far more innovation and returns to society if we didn't simply acquiesce to Alberta's interests.
Aren't you the same Paul Hillsdon that wrote this?

Quote:
It doesn’t help that Vancouver lacks any substantial economy. Yes, there’s the eco entrepreneurs and the small, but strong gaming and tech zone, and of course the Port and transport sector, but what much has changed since the CPR first chose the area as its western terminus?
Good jobs don’t come from hotels and tourism. Good jobs don’t come from the big box service industry. Even those good government jobs that used to exist are increasingly a rare and privileged position for the few lucky enough to get in.
Contrast it to Calgary, where its pioneer, cowboy ethic of hard work, entrepreneurship, and camaraderie has been reimagined to help the boomtown build a city that is conquering homelessness, funding arts and transit, creating new forms of civic engagement, and actually improving its citizens’ quality of life.
No more the backwaters of Canada, Calgary was a city that embraced urbanism, the arts, and progressive, pragmatic politics. If ever there was a Canadian city that fit my values, this appeared to be it.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:30 AM

Yup. And Northern Gateway will do wonders for Calgary. Nothing for Vancouver.

It's unfortunate for both cities actually. Calgary has a culture of entrepreneurialism that I think is sorely lacking in YVR, but I fear the city will be too inert to transform its oil wealth into an broad based, clean energy economy. Same reason Kodak didn't dominate digital cameras, nor did Xerox launch the desktop computer.

Vancouver has the environmental values to champion clean tech, but no entrepreneurs to bring it to life.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:46 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
It might not be a panacea for BC's economy, but it won't hurt it either. Any money heading up north is a good thing in my opinion. The special interest groups up there will wring as much money from Enbridge as they can before they give consent. BC will also get tax revenue from the pipeline.

Who knows though, if some of the overseas demand for Alberta oil is taken up by the pipeline it might help bring Vancouver gas prices down a notch (which you know could allow gas taxes to rise again).

Vancouver might not get much, but it doesn't run anywhere near Vancouver now, does it?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Absolutely nothing for vancouver? whose known strength and potential is in port activity and logistics?

I'd think it would do a lot to make vancouver and rupert more prominent ports in the world; more important to global supply chains. I think it would grow support industries and allow for further potential for value-added work (like refining)

If hamburg and rotterdam feel that they can expand oil capacity and pipeline capacity safely in their ports, i am not sure why vancouver and prince rupert can't.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Absolutely nothing for vancouver? whose known strength and potential is in port activity and logistics?

I'd think it would do a lot to make vancouver and rupert more prominent ports in the world; more important to global supply chains. I think it would grow support industries and allow for further potential for value-added work (like refining)

If hamburg and rotterdam feel that they can expand oil capacity and pipeline capacity safely in their ports, i am not sure why vancouver and prince rupert can't.

Agreed. This would make it an ever-more important city, and seed the sprouting service industries that went with it. Hey, we might even get flights to Qatar .... but that's another thread

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Actually, your point applies to more than just oil and pipeline capacity. Think about the uproar and pushback from the community when the Deltaport container port was built a number of years ago and again for the Deltaport third berth expansion. Opponents said the capacity was not needed. Yet as a result, Vancouver handles more containers than Seattle and Tacoma, and is now third in container throughput on the west coast behind LA and Long Beach. That tells me Vancouver can compete very successfully.

There seems to be a culture of resistance to change on the west coast -- and also an attitude that leaves little or no room for compromise. I believe the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion would be good for Vancouver's port with appropriate safety mitigation. Yet for opponents, no way will an expansion be acceptable.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 6:35 PM

Canada has always survived and thrived through the exploitation of natural resources. Sorry to offend the delicate sensibilities of Robertson and his ilk, but that's the truth. Thank god he wasn't around 100 years ago when the city's properity was being built on timber, no doubt doubt he would have run screaming in hysteria and chained himself to a tree somewhere.

And the last time I checked, Alberta and British Columbia were part of the same country. BC, and Canada, benefit in numerous ways from the export of Alberta products.

On the other hand, misguided government attempts at creating industry generally always end in failure (building railcars in Squamish etc.)

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:26 PM

Exclamation what - th' ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Canada has always survived and thrived through the exploitation of natural resources. Sorry to offend ....

And the last time I checked, Alberta and British Columbia were part of the same country. BC, and Canada, benefit in numerous ways from the export of Alberta products.

On the other hand, misguided government attempts at creating industry generally always end in failure (building railcars in Squamish etc.)

Hey, I tried looking that up but couldn't find anything specific. Would you be willing to tell me a bit about, or give me a link to, this interesting (but sadly typical) episode? I'd really appreciate that, if you could.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 8:35 PM

The real issue with risk vs reward in the case of the Northern Gateway is that the risk to B.C. is disproportionate to the reward potential relative to that of Alberta. Alpha is negative to say the least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy