HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 8:29 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
This is exactly the kind of problem we have with many Vancouverites: straight rejection of anything that seems unfamiliar without giving more thoughts on how something can benefit us.

Although not a frequent driver, I sometimes wish that traffic choke-points around the Lower Mainland can be improved. If not, then we should make sure that the transit system is world class, or even allow developers to put even taller towers at already densified neighbourhoods. Please don't just reject it all.
This is absolutely true. Its the same deal with at-grade LRT. Outright rejection even though it has been implemented quite successfully in cities and suburbs around the world (with even far denser population), and if properly executed, can be quite a viable rapid transit system around here (i.e. Surrey LRT).

WRT those viaducts from Washington State shown, its not like we have nothing like that here anyway. Just go to the Cape Horn interchange and those viaducts would put that Washington State example to shame...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Its the same deal with at-grade LRT. Outright rejection even though it has been implemented quite successfully in cities and suburbs around the world (with even far denser population), and if properly executed, can be quite a viable rapid transit system around here (i.e. Surrey LRT).
An LRT is better then no train system, I can agree with this. But I have used LRT before in both Seattle and Calgary. They may be faster than busses and semi reliable but they are plagued with other issues.

In Calgary the trains often were late and could easily be delayed since they often cross busy streets, pedestrians, cars, and wild animals/pets all crossing these tracks could cause delays.

My friend was almost hit by a C Train when he was crossing a busy intersection they cross.

Further more I find LRT to be slower than rapid transit, whereas skytrain goes at 80km an hour on average and is all automated, the Calgary C-train went at around 50km and had to be manually driven. I was on one and the doors refused to open so the driver had to actually fix it himself, I've never seen this on skytrain before.

I support surrey's wish to experiment with LRT, it's not a bad system but it's not ideal either.

With regards to broadway I will continue to hold my RRT or bust attitude.

Subway or don't build anything.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
This is exactly the kind of problem we have with many Vancouverites: straight rejection of anything that seems unfamiliar without giving more thoughts on how something can benefit us.

Although not a frequent driver, I sometimes wish that traffic choke-points around the Lower Mainland can be improved. If not, then we should make sure that the transit system is world class, or even allow developers to put even taller towers at already densified neighbourhoods. Please don't just reject it all.
To expand on some of your points, I sort of feel the same way about Vancouver in general. There is a certain (in my opinion) fear of certain things such as a proper road network, buildings that have large floorplates, buildings that are tall etc. You could say Vancouver punches far below its weight in these catagories. One could almost say Vancouver is afraid of acting/looking like a city of 2.5-3 million people imo.

I have been an "urban enthusiast" for as long as I can remember. I remember being like 6 or 7 years old and driving through downtown and trying to count all the floors in the office buildings before my dad would get a green light and start moving again. Now 30 years later the tallest office building is still the same tower I was looking at as a little boy. It bothers me that a 400k square foot office is considered at the upper end of large in Vancouver. It bothers me that people want to rip down old bridges and rebuild them with the same size bridge, or do nothing at all. It bothers me that having three general purpose lanes in one direction is quite rare in Vancouver (many of them seem to be add on/drop off lanes. It bothers me when you drive off the ferry in horshoe bay onto the quote unquote freeway, you hit a traffic light 300 feet from the ferry ramp. The approach to the second narrows bridge on the north van side is third world as far as I'm concerned. I could go on and on just about the roads in Vancouver. While improvements have been made, I have to agree with Libtard even when bc builds things new there is a certain "cheapness" and lack of foresight.

I was going to go on a rant about the height restrictions, but nothing I would say is going to add anything new to the topic. So I will just say Vancouver needs to rethink/ loosen them imo.

I kind of feel like I'm just bitching at this point lol. (maybe I am) So I'll shut up now. Come on Vancouver! Act your size and build accordingly, dont be scared.

Just to clarify I'm not trying to suggest Vancouver needs to build 16 lane freeways crisscrossing the lower mainland, and dozens of 1000 foot towers.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
T...The approach to the second narrows bridge on the north van side is third world as far as I'm concerned. I could go on and on just about the roads in Vancouver. While improvements have been made, I have to agree with Libtard even when bc builds things new there is a certain "cheapness" and lack of foresight...
Sounds like relief may be coming for that at least:
http://www.news1130.com/2014/08/29/u...morial-bridge/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
straight rejection of anything that seems unfamiliar without giving more thoughts on how something can benefit us.
I'm almost positive Vancouverites would be more familiar with freeways than bikelanes.

I'm also confused when people write that Vancouverites have this fear for tall buildings. I get it--you want builders taller than they currently exist. But is aversion to taller buildings really specific to Vancouver? Doesn't Portland have really strict height restrictions? What cities in NA love themselves really tall buildings?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 3:24 AM

When you have a city that is being flooded with wealthy immigrants laundering their money and the majority of citizens can no longer afford to buy a home (unless they are already in the market) then you will eventually end up with hate, and that hate will only grow and fester. It happens all the time in similar situations around the world. A polarizing city government that is out of touch with reality and ignores these festering issues does not help.

Its easy to hate on a city when that city stabs you in the back, regardless of how pretty it is. The more sentimental value it has the greater the hate.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:57 AM

I say my name mentioned in regards to negativity and I can't help but be touched.

Fact is Vancouver is a wonderful city in many ways.

Yes, it rains too much but it's not too hot and not too cold and the west Coast has the best summers in the country. Despite my bitching about the short sightedness of the Canada Line, Vancouver has done a great job in transit expansion and residential development on transit lines. It is reasonable safe, green, has the nation's best parks, wonderful setting, nice neighbourhoods, and a vibrant downtown.

What get's me is this "best place on earth crap" or "everyone wants to live here" which is ridiculous bordering on offensive to all the other great cities this nation has to offer.

The thing that gets me is that Vancouverites have a unenviable ability to simply ignore the many downfalls of the city and just say "oh but mountains are wonderful". This may come as a shock but the DTES is an abomination that no other city in the country would tolerate as they would be too ashamed and their social conscience would not allow them to see their fellow citizens live in such misery without demanding action but Vancouverites choose to turn the other way. Just like the 80 murdered women who because of being poor, drug addicts, and mostly native, just decided to call the missing so as not to have to spend any money trying to help these poor women and stop the carnage.

Vancouver is the nation's most socially and economically stratified city but doesn't seem to matter as long as the real estate market is strong. Vancouver has no respect for it's historical buildings which are viewed as more condos in the waiting than a pice of the city's history. This is the same as housing demolitions which are endless and contrary to popular Vancouver belief, this is strictly a Vancouver phenomenon.

I don't know of any other city that allows old houses to be torn down {with the trees} to only be replaced with another SFH.

Vancouver was once a funky and non-pretentious type place with character which never took things too seriously. Now the city is run as nothing more than a real estate market where it's ambition is to be a resort and to hell with the residents who can't afford the "new" Vancouver.

It's not hindsight using rose coloured glasses but rather a sad disappointment as this once interesting little city has sterilized itself to death to the highest bidder and residents be damned.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 11:24 AM

@ssiguy

Others may call your above post a rant, but I think you hit some pretty pertinent nails on the head.

Calling it "The Best Place in The World to Live!!" is small-town rah rah.
Saying "oh, but we have the mountains and ocean," is red-herring avoidance.
Demolishing heritage houses for monster houses is an abomination.

And the morphing of Vancouver into a huge real estate market and little more is self evident.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I say my name mentioned in regards to negativity and I can't help but be touched.

Yes, it rains too much but it's not too hot and not too cold and the west Coast has the best summers in the country. Despite my bitching about the short sightedness of the Canada Line, Vancouver has done a great job in transit expansion and residential development on transit lines. It is reasonable safe, green, has the nation's best parks, wonderful setting, nice neighbourhoods, and a vibrant downtown.

What get's me is this "best place on earth crap" or "everyone wants to live here" which is ridiculous bordering on offensive to all the other great cities this nation has to offer.

I can only use my two cents view since I moved here mostly in climate exile since this country has the absolute worst climate on the planet. With regards to everyone wanting to live here, there is quite a bit of truth to this. I know dozens of americans, ontarians, Albertans, people from atlantic Canada, etc who would love to live here if the work environment and cost of living were more in line with what you get. Sadly this isn't the case.

As for the best place on earth (TM) schtick? That pretentious logo helped define BC before the olympics and I agree it's terrible.

However my own personal opinion on the matter? The best place on earth is the pacific Northwest and Vancouver does reside in The pacific Northwest.

Thus to me, it is the best place on earth, especially since compared with portland and Seattle it's my favourite of the 3, it's probably my favourite city on the planet.

The thing that gets me is that Vancouverites have a unenviable ability to simply ignore the many downfalls of the city and just say "oh but mountains are wonderful". This may come as a shock but the DTES is an abomination that no other city in the country would tolerate as they would be too ashamed and their social conscience would not allow them to see their fellow citizens live in such misery without demanding action but Vancouverites choose to turn the other way. Just like the 80 murdered women who because of being poor, drug addicts, and mostly native, just decided to call the missing so as not to have to spend any money trying to help these poor women and stop the carnage.

Firstly, the mountains ARE wonderful but thats not all, the ocean is wonderful, the climate is wonderful, the trees are wonderful, the literally everything about this place aside from the DTES is wonderful.

Improvements on small things ARE needed but fact is the dtes is a very small portion of Vancouver and it's small beans compared with pretty much ANY ghetto in the united states.

However I do agree with the dtes comments but it's existence has more to do with Vancouver being a liberal place than because of political divides.

Vancouver accepts Canada's poorest people with open arms and they just so happen to live there. The dtes is the only place in north america where we treat drug addicts like human beings and offer support for them. The fact it's so bad is a symptom of a Canada wide problem, not Vancouver specific. Other cities don't have an equivalent since most of the poor come here rather than stay in Toronto or Calgary.

Vancouver is the nation's most socially and economically stratified city but doesn't seem to matter as long as the real estate market is strong. Vancouver has no respect for it's historical buildings which are viewed as more condos in the waiting than a pice of the city's history. This is the same as housing demolitions which are endless and contrary to popular Vancouver belief, this is strictly a Vancouver phenomenon.

I don't know of any other city that allows old houses to be torn down {with the trees} to only be replaced with another SFH.

This is just not true, whether you like it or not many heritage buildings WERE torn down a while back, big whoop. But please tell me a valuable piece of heritage which has been redeveloped recently which resulted in the demolition of a heritage building. The city has a heritage task force and has managed to retain some very old and very important buildings, these include but are not limited to the marine building, sun tower (tallest building in the british empire upon completion), dominion building (also tallest in the british empire upon completion), hotel vancouver 3, zillions of others are scattered throughout the city and many have been renovated.

Vancouver was once a funky and non-pretentious type place with character which never took things too seriously. Now the city is run as nothing more than a real estate market where it's ambition is to be a resort and to hell with the residents who can't afford the "new" Vancouver.

Vancouver is still a funky city with very left leaning people and a culture to boot. Go down commercial drive or talk to people in the west end and you'll realize that Vancouver never died. If anything it's expanded since the place is becoming subjectively more expensive and unequal as the days go buy.

It's not hindsight using rose coloured glasses but rather a sad disappointment as this once interesting little city has sterilized itself to death to the highest bidder and residents be damned.
Responses in RED

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Vancouver accepts Canada's poorest people with open arms and they just so happen to live there. The dtes is the only place in north america where we treat drug addicts like human beings and offer support for them. The fact it's so bad is a symptom of a Canada wide problem, not Vancouver specific. Other cities don't have an equivalent since most of the poor come here rather than stay in Toronto or Calgary.
This has to be emphasized. The DTES is a national problem, not a provincial one, and certainly not a civic one.

A lot of people were not raised here. I know weather is such a controversial topic here (why, I have no idea) but a lot moved here because of the climate. It's easier to be homeless here in the winter than out east. Yes, it rains, just find a roof.

But also a lot were pushed here. It's cheaper for, say, Calgary to buy its drug-addicted residents a bus ticket to Vancouver than to actually treat them.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who were raised in, say, Richmond, lost a job because of a bike lane being built or whatever awful civic decision, and now live their life in the DTES, but I don't think that's the norm.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

you go from being positive to negative which is pretty much what i use to do, but i've changed over the years because i no longer give a fuck. it's a city and it's getting better, and worse. can you understand what people are saying in public, can you afford all the cost of living if you are not rich. it's no longer what it was if you really ask me. I remember it use to be quiet, peaceful and friendly. is it still the same old? perhaps in some areas. I c open racism and lack of mannerism from time to time and it all sinks with the cost of living. look on the bright side, we are getting a brand new casino, a fashion outlet, and all the crazy condos make the place look denser. it's a fun place ot live, espeically if you lived through those years. remember how you use to praise that 120m ish condo in downtown, patina or something? what is that now? remember hwo excited you were when you saw the new convention center, and how many people lined up for canada line's first day, i can still remember the first tiem i smelled that train, it isn't like what it smells like now...hmm, things' change, you just have to let yourself get use to it. talking about givign negative comments, i've changed from giving negative comments to having a general negative mindset because of what this city has influenced me with.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:54 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
you go from being positive to negative which is pretty much what i use to do, but i've changed over the years because i no longer give a fuck. it's a city and it's getting better, and worse. can you understand what people are saying in public, can you afford all the cost of living if you are not rich. it's no longer what it was if you really ask me. I remember it use to be quiet, peaceful and friendly. is it still the same old? perhaps in some areas. I c open racism and lack of mannerism from time to time and it all sinks with the cost of living. look on the bright side, we are getting a brand new casino, a fashion outlet, and all the crazy condos make the place look denser. it's a fun place ot live, espeically if you lived through those years. remember how you use to praise that 120m ish condo in downtown, patina or something? what is that now? remember hwo excited you were when you saw the new convention center, and how many people lined up for canada line's first day, i can still remember the first tiem i smelled that train, it isn't like what it smells like now...hmm, things' change, you just have to let yourself get use to it. talking about givign negative comments, i've changed from giving negative comments to having a general negative mindset because of what this city has influenced me with.
I'm basically in the same boat here. Plus I used to be far far more active in these forums and all sections talking about Vancouver. But I guess you do get tired of it after all these years and when reality sinks in, you just no longer care. I doubt I'm alone since a lot of people that used to post have since moved on. TBH, the only reason why I still participate in the forums is the Evergreen Line...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 6:26 AM

Vancouver has definitely improved in many ways.

It's transit expansion in the last 30 years has been the best in the country and has done a good job on TOD. It has tried, and with decent success, to rein in urban sprawl, and it has created some interesting new neighbourhoods such as Yaletown.

As for this "welcoming of all people", only if you have money. BC has gone from one of the most egalitarian provinces to the nation's most unequal in just a generation. As for the excuse people use for the DTES being what it is because of "easterners', that is absolute crap. BC has the LOWEST income assistance rates in the nation and the only province which requires a 2 week "waiting period" for benefits to begin regardless if you are living on the street.

I worked for Social services years ago and in 1991 the single rate for the month was $550.....today it's $600.......a 10% increase in a quarter century. This, and a lack of support for children, has left the province with the largest gap between the rich and the poor in the country as well as the highest general poverty and child poverty rate.

Also your idea of the DTES only being "a small part of the city" is indicative of what I am saying. Because these people are poor does that mean they are not "real" citizens of the city? There is NO excuse for this and would be intolerable in any other city in the country.

Vancouver still has a bit of edginess which is appealing but the city has this desire to become a resort and in the process has lost much of her soul. The people who are most distraught about the change in the city are those who have lived here the longest especially pre-1990. The overwhelming majority of people who knew the city before that time lament the loss of the city's easy going nature, non-materialistic profile, and casual way of life.

I guess old time Vancouverites just loved their city when it was just good old Vancouver and not trying to be "the best place on earth" or some other childish ranking system. I guess they loved Vancouver for itself and not for it's image.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 3:07 PM

job wise, you can hardly climb up to achieve something because it's hard to get your foot in the door.

This city is one of the hardest place to land a decent job and start your career from there. it needs to work on its economy or else nobody's gona stay here to pay for a single house. Can you start something here, make it big, and not move it to the states?

check out its rankings for economy on wiki...it's probably worse than auckland. other than that, it does well on everything else.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 6:38 PM

Interesting discussion. I no longer live in Vancouver but I was there for about 5 years, and it is the strangest thing to me about people who post online about Vancouver. It seems that people from Vancouver who flock to discussions about Vancouver in the Canadian context (or even about Vancouver in general) are a much different breed generally then people from other Canadian cities. The commentary is different, there are much more negative voices, and a general bitter cynical jaded world view regarding much of their online posts. This attitude is almost completely contained within the demographics of people who post online, because when I was actually living in Vancouver, the people I met and hung out with were incredibly positive, happy, and cheerful people.

I think for some reason the people who spend a lot of time online in Vancouver tend to be a different type of personality compared to other cities in Canada. I have a hunch that many other Canadian city residents spend a lot more time online because it is either too cold or too uncomfortable to spend time outside doing other things. Vancouver doesn't have that problem, so in general, the people posting online don't have anything better to do, even in a city with such rich, diverse activities as Vancouver, and so come online to complain, partly about or related to something crappy going on in their lives.

That said, posting in the Canada section in general is an exercise in futility. Out of all the posts there, about 1% of them are educational or insightful, the rest are painfully absurd ignorant commentary that may actually cause you to lose brain cells. It is simply not worth anyone's time to try to wade through the amount of crap that gets posted there with the goal of educating anyone about anything great about your city and having a productive conversation. Someone in the Calgary sub forum put it like this: posting in the Canada section is like beating your head against the wall, it doesn't get you anywhere and feels really good once you stop.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 12:11 AM

Too be honest, SSIguy is the only negative poster I've seen in the Canada section.

I've brought up Vancouver before but I am always shooed away like I brought up a taboo topic.

There was a gentlemen from Montreal but I cannot remember his name, we were talking about tesla motors and electric car infrastructure and being eco green, the man from montreal said that there are no Cities in Canada outside of quebec who care about living green and that Quebec is far superior to anglo Canada for being green.

I corrected him and states that BC is a very green place and both Vancouver and Victoria could give Montreal a run for it's money.

He then started to post a bunch of articles about Montreal in a very passive aggressive kind of way.

He was posting them in a get out kind of way like he doesn't want to hear it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 2:00 AM

My sister says she doesn't want to move to Vancouver, she wants to stay in a smaller BC city. Despite the fact that her business prospects are much better if she were here, she doesn't want to live in a condo, and thinks I'm silly for wanting to live here. She currently lives with the parents out in a under-served-transit-i-need-a-car-to-do-anything city I'll not name.

When it comes to negativity about (metro) Vancouver, I find it's always out of context. SSP seems to like talking about construction, and is generally a pro-development forum, though not all forums are the same. Pro-development doesn't necessarily mean "lets turn everything into condos" but it tends look at NIMBY factors as annoyances and not serious problems.

The transit forums, everyone has their pet topics. Mine are the Skytrain/RRT/Grade-separated rail, and Metrotown. I find that even outside of SSP, there is no support for LRT (even you-know-who DMJ/RFTV doesn't want LRT's now he just wants to stop Translink from building anything.)

Like, getting a job in Metro-Vancouver is hard still (wasn't so in 2006,) because every job has 100-1000 applicants for every advertised position. I'm not sure if it's the impersonal nature of applying for jobs (online) now that is doing it, or somewhere in the 2008 depression crash, every place that had shipped jobs to Vancouver from the US, pulled up stakes and went back. (Now they're probably coming back under tax-loopholes.)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Interesting discussion. I no longer live in Vancouver but I was there for about 5 years, and it is the strangest thing to me about people who post online about Vancouver. It seems that people from Vancouver who flock to discussions about Vancouver in the Canadian context (or even about Vancouver in general) are a much different breed generally then people from other Canadian cities. The commentary is different, there are much more negative voices, and a general bitter cynical jaded world view regarding much of their online posts. This attitude is almost completely contained within the demographics of people who post online, because when I was actually living in Vancouver, the people I met and hung out with were incredibly positive, happy, and cheerful people.

I think for some reason the people who spend a lot of time online in Vancouver tend to be a different type of personality compared to other cities in Canada. I have a hunch that many other Canadian city residents spend a lot more time online because it is either too cold or too uncomfortable to spend time outside doing other things. Vancouver doesn't have that problem, so in general, the people posting online don't have anything better to do, even in a city with such rich, diverse activities as Vancouver, and so come online to complain, partly about or related to something crappy going on in their lives.

That said, posting in the Canada section in general is an exercise in futility. Out of all the posts there, about 1% of them are educational or insightful, the rest are painfully absurd ignorant commentary that may actually cause you to lose brain cells. It is simply not worth anyone's time to try to wade through the amount of crap that gets posted there with the goal of educating anyone about anything great about your city and having a productive conversation. Someone in the Calgary sub forum put it like this: posting in the Canada section is like beating your head against the wall, it doesn't get you anywhere and feels really good once you stop.
^
This

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM
See ya down under, mates

Well I tried about four more posts and got zero replies after 48+ hours as usual so I guess I'll stop banging my head against the wall too.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post

Uh, did you just slam everyone posting here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion