HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Development is really going to be closing in on the Varsity. I bet it doesn’t last another decade.

To be clear, I think the restaurant will last longer than that. I just don’t think it will last in it’s current form at that location for much longer. West Peachtree and Spring are being built out quickly. That corner is prime real estate.
Is be surprised if it wasn’t being touted as a prime location for another HQ. If/when it’s developed, I hope they explore park expansion over the connector similar to what was proposed with amazon.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
If that wide shot is to scale, then the new building isn't as badly dwarfed by the AT&T building as I had feared it would be, which is encouraging.

yeah! definitely looks taller than NCR.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Does anyone think of this Manhattan building when they see 8th and West??

[IMG][/IMG]
Yes, the building does seem to be massed on one side and facing in one direction like the old Citicorp building.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Development is really going to be closing in on the Varsity. I bet it doesn’t last another decade.

To be clear, I think the restaurant will last longer than that. I just don’t think it will last in it’s current form at that location for much longer. West Peachtree and Spring are being built out quickly. That corner is prime real estate.
Prime, yes, but I cannot imagine a universe in which the Varsity isn't at that location.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgt92 View Post
Prime, yes, but I cannot imagine a universe in which the Varsity isn't at that location.
This rendering was released after it was announced that Amazon wasn’t coming here. Note the Varsity on the left, in the bottom of a tall building. I think it’s only a matter of time before a company actually decides to go for that site. Nothing lasts forever. This is Atlanta anyhow, and as “historic” as the Varsity is, it is still a fast food restaurant. There have been posts on here indicating that the owners fought against a historic designation because they wanted to be able to sell to a developer someday.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:21 AM

Quote:

Wikipedia says it was founded in 1928. Maybe it’s time to designate the restaurant as historic so it’s not torn down. The parking lot next to it can go though.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:59 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
They're breaking ground Q1 2019?

By 2020, Midtown is going to be FIRE!!!!!!!!!
*Provided there is no recession or outright economic collapse.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Wikipedia says it was founded in 1928. Maybe it’s time to designate the restaurant as historic so it’s not torn down. The parking lot next to it can go though.
The owners have specifically fought against the historic designation. Someone else reported that they have an outstanding demolition permit for this very reason.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
The owners have specifically fought against the historic designation. Someone else reported that they have an outstanding demolition permit for this very reason.
I question how historic the Varsity is. I agree it's one of the last old school drive-ins from that era, and for Atlant, few things are historic since they took so much of it down.

However, they could sell the air rights and possibly do a building above and around it. I doubt the owners have any desire for that, probably prefer to start with a fresh place inside the new building that gets developed.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
I hope this expedited the upgrade of the ATT plaza that was proposed back in the summer!
It's already started - or at least the lobby is under construction.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:

My thought is that when the owners get ready to sell....a single (or group) of prominent Tech alumni or Atlantans will jump in to buy the property to save the main building. The gas stations on North and 10th will go before the Varsity.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
The gas stations on North and 10th will go before the Varsity.
Man, I can't wait for those gas stations to get redeveloped.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:18 AM

The website is up and running https://901westpeachtree.com/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:15 PM

901 West Peachtree is gorgeous and perfectly positioned in the skyline to stand out. I know Blackrock was looking for around 200k sq ft in Midtown. This would be a great fit.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:43 PM

The gas station is expanding and adding a 2nd floor for office space above it. I doubt it goes before the varsity seriously. The lot is smaller, oddly shaped and would have environmental remediation needed. The lots around the Varsity will develop soon but the varsity and gas station will remain for a while most likely.

The station at 10th would be a prime site if a developer could assembly the nightclub and other lots that wrap around that block.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Fantastic project

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Stunning, modern, and chic.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgt92 View Post
Everything is possible in the multiverse.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Stunning, modern, and chic.
And a fantastic location to lift this part of Midtown to the next level, while making a decent impact on the skyline. This is one of my favorite projects this cycle and really hoping it gets off the ground.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:17 PM

No offense meant but I really get baffled by people on this forum.

We have what: 2 views of the new Cousins tower at 8th. Honestly, the website is fairly lame for a project such as this and I am sure it will mature into much more over the coming months. Don’t get me wrong, I have complete faith the project will be top notch. I’ve never seen a Cousins project that wasn’t; however, we have several detail views of the NS Cousins proposal. This includes project scope, employment numbers, a timeline and plenty of details for a true top notch project that is eliminating surface parking lots and going to assist in connecting midtown and downtown in an area that is currently a no man’s land. Yet 1/2 the feedback has been negative and wishy washy with constant negativity.

On the other hand, this 8th tower which is maybe 1/3 of the scope and size of Cousins NS project is just the bomb to everyone just because it appears to have a few additional finished floors in height. Honestly though, the NS south tower appears to be maybe only 60’ shorter due to the top parapet walls.

Yes before I hear the same crap that this is a skyscraper forum give it a rest. I know that but so what. There isn’t anything amazing abt the 8th Cousins proposal. Yes it’s nice but please get real.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations