HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:35 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Damn, I meant to go today. All day I kept thinking it was Wednesday though, and thought the meeting was tomorrow. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Hopefully when Red sends out their next email, they will state whether or not renderings will be shown at the next meeting.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:07 AM

What's the website for RED so I can get on their e-mail list?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 9:28 AM

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 10:10 PM

Thematic Images: Park Redesign

The City of Phoenix posted these thematic images of elements beings considereed in the Patriot's Square Park redesign. The final public input meeting is scheduled for February 8. The final design is set for presentation to the Parks & Rec Board February 22. I know we are all anxiously awaiting the outcome.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 1:49 AM

^Hm, that honestly makes me a bit nervous. It doesn't seem to stress enough just openness and grass, which is something I'm hoping for. Really, the current design has all those things, I guess the new design will just have them- but done better.

Also, a few years back, Phil Gordon talked about how Paris had the Eiffel tower, St Louis had the Arch, and Phoenix had Patriots Square Park and we needed to change that. I haven't heard anything recently about making the park a landmark type of thing. Perhaps they are hoping the CityScape towers will be the landmark themselves.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 2:17 AM

Openness might be there, but I doubt very much grass will be. I was hoping for a park with lots of trees and grass as well, but they made it clear that this will be an urban park with more hardscaping then landscaping.

It will probably be something like the center area of Desert Ridge or maybe Kierland Commons or Biltmore Fashion Square.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:04 PM

There just isn't enough space there to put any kind of grass, trees, etc. It would be great to have a downtown park with a real park-like feel, but there just isn't any space downtown. Mayor Gordon is smoking crack if he thinks there's any room to build something of landmark status.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:30 PM

I don't really think space is the problem. You don't need more space then that to make a nice little green park, I've been to many places around the country that have small parks in the center of a downtown area.

I think they don't want to go with the green because first of all this is the desert and having a lush green park, while possible, is hard to maintain and expensive. Second of all, it's Arizona and I think they want something a little more specific to the region...not something that you would find when visiting New York, Washingtion DC, or San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 8:07 PM

I'll be happy with pretty much any design they come up with, so long as they incorporate a bunch of shade trees, and I mean a bunch.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 12:18 AM

So I had this goofy idea late last night as I was trying to fall asleep. CityScape is going to be tearing down Patriots Square Park, which I'm all for. However, PSP has one nice feature, and thats the large unique shade structure. Just a few blocks up the road, the Phoenix Public Market is looking to build a permanent shade structure. Would it be at all possible to tear down the PSP structure and move it and install it for the market? It would allow Phoenix to preserve a bit of its "history" (even though the structure isn't very old, we need to do a better job at preserving anything we have), and could work for the market.

Its just a silly idea, its probably economically unfeasible...but I do think it would be neat.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 12:37 AM

The shade structure sucks, sorry but it does. Plus, is the Phoenix public market permanently there, or just temporarily? Who owns that land? I doubt whoever does will allow that shade thing to be put on their property.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The shade structure sucks, sorry but it does. Plus, is the Phoenix public market permanently there, or just temporarily? Who owns that land? I doubt whoever does will allow that shade thing to be put on their property.
I don't think it sucks, its unique looking and provides lots of shade- what else is a shade structure supposed to do? Cure cancer?

I'm not sure who owns that land, I know the market is looking for a permanent home, whether that be their current lot or somewhere else near by. I hope they keep their current location, just north of downtown proper and south of the neighborhoods, its a nice spot.

They recently received a large sum of money from an Indian tribe to build a shade structure, so they will be getting some sort of shade structure soon.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 2:33 AM
Skyriser

I'm not sure how easy it would be to move, altho the idea is pretty nice. The thing is bolted into the supports of the garage underneath, so to replicate that you'd have to likely dig pylons into the market's ground to support it.

Disassembling the five pieces might be difficult--perhaps you'd need one boom crane to hold the structure together and another to lift the steel beams onto a waiting truck. Tho, I wonder... if they could perhaps use some sort of slip-bolt, replacing the fixed ones that hold the thing together, so that at the push of a button it comes crashing down into soft earth relatively intact and salavagable.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I don't think it sucks, its unique looking and provides lots of shade- what else is a shade structure supposed to do? Cure cancer?

I'm not sure who owns that land, I know the market is looking for a permanent home, whether that be their current lot or somewhere else near by. I hope they keep their current location, just north of downtown proper and south of the neighborhoods, its a nice spot.

They recently received a large sum of money from an Indian tribe to build a shade structure, so they will be getting some sort of shade structure soon.

The market is in such a sad location, IMO. Check that, the location (between downtown and the neighborhood) is cool, but the market itself sucks. It's a nice organic type of activity pumping a little life into downtown, but being held in a crummy old parking lot sucks. They should move it somewhere else, like back in the alleys somewhere, where the merchants backs are up against the walls, and the alley is like a wide sidewalk. I'm imagining back alley/back neighborhood persian markets or asian markets where the "shops" line the narrow streets/alleys. Something about tents in a parking lot pisses me off and is unattractive, much like the parking lot "parties" the Mexican restaurants and bars put on for Cinco de Mayo, or the Irish bars put on for St. Patrick's Day. They're about as unauthentic as you can get, which is the feeling I get at the DT Phoenix public market.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 8:04 AM

Milwaukee has a nice farmers market just outside of its downtown. They are in the middle of a huge parking lot too, but all the merchants have their backs to each other so they sort of create an island (I'm assuming this isn't how it's set up here?). I don't mind it being out in the open either... cramming it into an alley seems too claustrophobic.

Last edited by PHX_PD; Aug 3, 2008 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 11:33 AM

I think cramming it into an alley would look cool, but not be very efficient. Also, it would scare off suburban folks like my mom who enjoy the open market as it is.

But like I said, they just recently got some money from an Indian Tribe and are going to be building some sort of permanent structure, which I'm sure will include replace the dirt lot with brick or concrete.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 3:38 PM

Yea, for downtown Phoenix's main public market, I'm not too keen on a collection of alleyways for it's home, no matter how extensive. If it's to grow into something truly major, I'd rather see something along the lines of a Pike Place in Seattle, or a Reading Terminal in Philadelphia (it's always nice to dream).

Maybe as the downtown area develops more and grows in population, some of the individual neighborhoods (Roosevelt, Garfield, etc.) could do something smaller like that on their own.

At any rate, the planned Jackson Street Entertainment District is supposed to also include a large public market. Maybe the current downtown market can eventually move in there?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 11:31 PM
-_-

Will the market be open all week, or is it just a weekend deal? Here in Iowa City they have a great farmer's market during the summer on Saturdays and Wednesday evenings. It takes place on the ground floor of a parking garage on the edge of downtown. This allows it to be shaded and cool in the heat of summer while using a space that would be nearly empty at the times the market is open. It also provides parking for those who drive to the market.

Also, about the idea of it being in an alley, yeah, it brings up romantic images of exotic locales, but really, those markets are situated like that because there is no other location, not because it is practical.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 9:29 PM
Skyriser

The new designs for Patriots Square Park (and I'm supposing CityScape) will be unveiled today at 6:00 PM in the Phoenix City Council Chambers ... the little round building at 251 W Washington St. I will be there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 9:52 PM

I'll be there as well. The developers really want people to attend the Feb. 22nd meeting, which is the final one, to show their support and help get the vote for yes on the redesign of the park. I have a feeling they could ask for the vote even earlier and it wouldn't be a problem...there is a lot of support for this to go forward.

PUBLIC INPUT MEETING:

WHEN: Thursday, February 8, 6 p.m.

WHERE: Phoenix City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson

WHAT: Third Public Input Meeting on Patriot’s Square

The meeting agenda will include a presentation on progress to date, presentation of the proposed conceptual master plan, a verbal public comment period, and the opportunity for residents and stakeholders to provide written input to the city and the development team on this crucial project for the future of downtown Phoenix.

PARKS BOARD MEETING:

WHEN: Thursday, February 22, 5 p.m.

WHERE: Phoenix City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson

WHAT: Parks Board Meeting - Patriot’s Square Agenda Item for approval

Based on the input from the 2/22 meeting, we anticipate the Parks Board will vote on the proposed conceptual master plan of the redesigned Patriot’s Park. More details to come.

If you can only attend one of these meetings, we suggest you plan to attend the meeting on Thursday, February 22 and show your support for the new plan in front of the Parks Board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest