HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

309 Green Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Champaign Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 8:18 PM

rent

does anyone have a guess on what rent will be for these apartments?

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 8:42 PM

Just pro-development that will benefit the campustown...
Heard rents range from $650-850/ month...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 12:18 AM

I was just in Champaign, and I didn't get any pictures of it, sorry, but they were working on the foundation of the building. I saw rebar sticking up out of concrete foundations. It was all above streetlevel.

So I think this should be considered to be under construction.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 12:30 AM

One thing people have to realize about the campus area, is that there is a height limit around the center of the campus because no building can cast a shadow on Marrow Plots.

There will actually be a pretty nice little cluster of about 5 towers within a 4 block radius.

This new project on green street looks sweet though.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
City officials are calling it "the whopper."
I just realized how hilarious this statement is, considering the site on which the building is going up used to house a Burger King

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:28 AM

Is Campustown near the CBD ?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is Campustown near the CBD ?
The "central business district" of Champaign is a bunch of trinket shops and restaurants in 3 story buildings. The town of champaign lives off A. The University, B. The Kraft factory

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeathin2 View Post
The "central business district" of Champaign is a bunch of trinket shops and restaurants in 3 story buildings. The town of champaign lives off A. The University, B. The Kraft factory
Gotcha. Sounds even more university-oriented than my hometown of Gainesville, FL.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 6:53 PM

Over the last ten years or so Champaign has also become the service center for much of central Illinois as farm towns and industrial towns all around continue to decline. Champaign area has actually seen moderate growth through the decline of the rest of the region.

Also, in addition to Kraft, there are several other large employers including several factories and Wolfram Research, the maker of Mathematica.

The center of campustown is I would say (although I can't remember for sure) about a 15 minute walk from downtown Champaign. A planned development is in the works to urbanize the area in between.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 11:38 PM

One thing I would like to see done in champaign-urbana is to put brick structures around and surrounding the interstate through the town, that resemble the campus area. Driving through C-U, is uninspiring to say the least, and leaves you feeling like its a gross dirty town.

to give you an idea of what the campus mainly looks like...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:06 AM

hey - i was wondering if anyone knew if their was a website, email address or phone number you could call to find out information about the building or signing up for a lease??

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 8:44 AM

This, and the Burnham, are pretty cool to hear about. A proper grocery store has been needed on campus for sometime (grocery options to this point limited to Meijer, one of the *THREE* Super Wal-Marts on the fringe of C-U, or Schnuk's outside of downtown Urbana.

I just graduated from UofI in May, and I wish this stuff had been around when I first arrived on campus. In 2003, I believe the lane reduction of Green Street had just been completed, helping to improve the walkability of campustown. In the years since then until my graduation, commercial developments filled in/helped densify the stretch of Green Street from Wright to Third.

As the aerial photos show, the area west of Third is full of parking lots and strip malls. Hopefully projects like this will fill in a lot of those spaces and continue to improve the pedestrian friendliness of Green Street.

There's actually some interesting mixed-use stuff going on in the Urbana side of campus around the Krannert Center, too, but it's nowhere near as big as these developments(only 4 stories). It does, however, bring some much needed retail into that area.

I'm happy to see downtown Champaign, which as home to the Virginia Theatre, Boardman's Art Theatre, and Ebertfest is kind of one of the cultural hearts of the region (at least in my eyes) begin to connect with Campustown, too. It'll hopefully bring some more students into downtown champaign to help liven up the street life there. While downtown C-U has made great strides the past few years, foot traffic is kind of low.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:21 AM
Cleared for takeoff

As a recent grad, I've got to see this one! Just before I graduated, I missed one of my classes to go to burger king for lunch only to find that it was shut down for good. This now makes sense as to why...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:22 AM
Cleared for takeoff

In the mean time does anyone have pics?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 7:25 AM
Cleared for takeoff

Actually pics of this site along with the project on 6th and Gregory. Its great to see that the project on Goodwin and Gregory is near complete. When I came there as a freshman, that lot was a detour where the 26 Pack would cross through because of road construction. What other projects do they have going on down there?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:21 AM

There's mixed use going in around Krannert now? With honest to God first floor retail??
I lived in ISR in '94 and '95 and always wished something would fill up those vacant parkinglots. Sounds good.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 8:13 PM

www.309green.com is the site for now but there's not much on there.
Contact Roland Realty at 212 E. Green St or 217.351.8900 for leasing info.

Last edited by jjsmith02; Sep 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 8:15 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 3:07 AM

shouldn;t this be moved to Construction?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:48 AM

Under Construction

This is underconstruction, i've been past a couple times a week ago. Mod, could you please move it?

Also, is there some interest in a general UIUC construction info page?

There is the football stadium + expanded IMPE, the new ~5 floor mba facility, the 5 floor mixed use near krannert, the 18 floor burnham, 24 floor college corner, the ~9 floor illuminate center, the ~3 floor jewish center and a soon **hopefully** start on the new elec eng building.

A nice little uni boom..

Last edited by firstcranialnerve; Aug 7, 2007 at 6:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive