HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 4:27 AM
Hammer'd

Oh geez, what a freaking joke.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 4:49 PM

^Do you really think so? Because, I think it's a great way to bring people out to areas & buildings they wouldn't normally get to see in an organized fashion.

A few weeks ago we took the Downtown Hamilton Ghost Walk and based on that tour, I have nothing but good things to say about the tour and the organizers.

IMO, Hamilton needs more people/organizations like this that allow people to engage both downtown sites & neighbourhoods. If a 'hook' (i.e. haunted) needs to employed so be it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:56 PM

I can appreciate the opportunities this might give people to see some interesting history and architecture.

I'm more saddened by the incredulous nature of Haunted Hamilton and the other related ghost walk groups and T.V. shows. The bar for evidence of the paranormal with these groups is about ankle high.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:31 AM
Hammer'd

I'm all for exposure to Hamilton's architectural and cultural gems too but I also stand by what I said.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:23 PM

I have been to a Haunted Hamilton event.. They aren't over the top and don't take themselves terribly seriously. Has anyone else who commented in this thread been to one of their events?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
^Do you really think so? Because, I think it's a great way to bring people out to areas & buildings they wouldn't normally get to see in an organized fashion.

A few weeks ago we took the Downtown Hamilton Ghost Walk and based on that tour, I have nothing but good things to say about the tour and the organizers.

IMO, Hamilton needs more people/organizations like this that allow people to engage both downtown sites & neighbourhoods. If a 'hook' (i.e. haunted) needs to employed so be it.
IMO, Doors Open Hamilton is the ideal opportunity to see these kinds of buildings, without employing a 'hook' - or a fee. You get free access to a whole slate of historical sites and heritage buildings without having to endure cheesy ghost stories.

A couple years back I did a haunted tour of Stoney Creek Battlefield Park. While it was neat to see the buildings by torchlight at night, I was really embarassed for the 'guides' who had to share some really lame tales of alleged haunts on the site. I was really distracted by one guide telling the group about some criminal who was "hung". Proper grammar requires one to say that people are hanged, not hung - assuming of course that the guide was indeed describing a method of execution...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:34 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

hung when it should be hanged bugs me too.

Here's another, is it a sawn-off or a sawed-off shotgun?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
IMO, Doors Open Hamilton is the ideal opportunity to see these kinds of buildings, without employing a 'hook' - or a fee. You get free access to a whole slate of historical sites and heritage buildings without having to endure cheesy ghost stories.
That's okay, you don't need to like it. I just think bring large groups (20+) of people who are spending money into the downtown area at night is a good thing. I guess that's just me.

Also, there certainly wasn't a 'whole slate' of historical sites at Doors Open 2009.

Looking at the downtown area most were churches (5 of 8 locations) that are generally open to the public (i.e. Religious Services), then Whitehern (a public museum), AGH (another public building), and finally the Player's Guild played on a ghost story, A murder in 1876... the killer's hanging two months later. Rumours of a ghost in the costume room... Funny that.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 6:30 PM

Quote:
That's okay, you don't need to like it. I just think bring large groups (20+) of people who are spending money into the downtown area at night is a good thing. I guess that's just me.
While I'll applaud the sentiment, taking a group on a ghost hunt at Stinson School isn't exactly what I'd consider a downtown nightime spending spree.

Quote:
Also, there certainly wasn't a 'whole slate' of historical sites at Doors Open 2009.

Looking at the downtown area most were churches (5 of 8 locations) that are generally open to the public (i.e. Religious Services), then Whitehern (a public museum), AGH (another public building), and finally the Player's Guild played on a ghost story, A murder in 1876... the killer's hanging two months later. Rumours of a ghost in the costume room... Funny that.
As you know from viewing their website, there were 22 sites made available across the city in last year's Doors Open Hamilton. While funding cutbacks required them to halve the amount of available sites, in my books they still provided a pretty full slate of interesting sites of historical significance. And, for the record, the Player's Guild tour did not involve a ghost hunt. At least not when I was there.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 9:46 PM
Hammer'd

I'm simply against charging people a fee to hear a bunch of bullshit stories about old and abandoned buildings. My friend actually got kicked off the tour because he debunked one of their haunting stories about the Connaught (no documented history of anybody ever dying there, no documented stories of hauntings, never seen anything in there since the place was abandoned). The tour guide was a complete jerk about it. They seem to have an idiotic story about someone dying or getting hanged in every old or beaten up building downtown. It's beyond ridiculous and it's teaching people a flawed history of our downtown.

As Mark said, Doors Open and other architecture walks/tours that don't even charge a fee at all are much more respectable, at least to me.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 5:35 AM

Haunted Hamilton puts on events that are meant to be entertaining and fun. I don't think they ever claimed to be a definitive historical source of information. If you want to learn about the history of Hamilton, there is the library or perhaps a historical society? Many people enjoy their events. It is certainly a lot more fulfilling than another night sitting in front of the TV, isn't it?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Ghost hunters scour Stinson School
Last chance before it becomes condo complex

August 17, 2009
Dana Brown
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/619419

They were searching for spirits long rumoured to be wandering in the nooks and crevices of Stinson Street School.

At times during their hunt, pendulums swung, spirit boards brought communications, and sensitive bodies felt the presence of spirits.

At other times, not so much.

Armed with a cache of ghost-seeking tools they could take turns using, about 140 people took part in Haunted Hamilton's ghost hunt at the old school Saturday night.

It was the last chance for curious spirit seekers to explore the building before it's turned into trendy new lofts by developer Harry Stinson.

Stinson himself stayed out of the spirit debate but said he has been told by lots of people about the building's hauntings.

"Are there strange noises?" Stinson asks. "Well, this is 60,000 square feet of space, all wood construction -- of course there's noises."

But neither noises nor the disturbed bats that began flying overhead on more than one floor could faze the spirit seekers.

Ghost hunters, many with cameras in hand, wandered off in small groups to explore the century-old building, much of which had been plunged into darkness for the event.

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience," said Hamiltonian Lynda Head, 56.

"We're not going to get in here again."

Head brought one of her own pendulums, which apparently swings to detect the presence of a spirit, to explore the building.

She said she detected a spirit in the attic and in the office of the headmistress.

Some believe the building is occupied by several spirits, including a janitor who putters around the boiler room, a librarian and the headmistress.

Some of the tools people could use included electromagnetic-field detectors, parabolic microphones to amplify hearing, and compasses and thermometers.

Kate Kingston, resident psychic with Haunted Hamilton, said people's interests have been reawakened with a changing world energy and so much uncertainty.

"It's reopened an interest in the paranormal," she said.

In the attic, one of the Haunted Hamilton team felt like she was hit in the back in the neck and several others felt different sensations during their walk-through.

The building remains the perfect picture of an aging school. Some windows are boarded-up outside, and inside the acrid stench of layers of dirt and grime cooked over the years cling to the attic and basement, making every breath heavy.

Classrooms appear eerie and isolated in the dark, some strewn with props and other materials. It's a child's nightmare of a classroom gone wrong.

During the search, a couple of ghost hunters announced they had succeeded in communicating through a spirit board, commonly called a Ouija board.

But Haunted Hamilton investigators' attempt to try to connect with a spirit in the former kindergarten classroom was not apparently successful, although a few came up with a similar name for a possible spirit they said was present.

The digital recording of the effort could still turn up something.

Before the attempt, Kingston said they could not get sound or voices during the search because there was too much movement in the building, along with additional energy.

A seance in the library at the end of the night also apparently failed to communicate with spirits.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:36 AM
It's Hammer Time

I would like to invite you to the official Preview Reception for the Stinson School Lofts, on Thursday September 17th, from 6 to 9 p.m. at 200 Stinson Street (Hamilton). At this time, we will be unveiling the comprehensive development plans for this significant, full-block site, as well as the unique features and amenities of the building. Every suite in the Stinson School Lofts is distinctive, and no other project can offer the extraordinary combination of century-old architecture, geographic drama, and hands-on, passionate attention to detail by the development team.

Public Sales will commence on Sunday, September 20th, with a ‘by-invitation’ opportunity to select suites on Saturday, September 19th.

You are welcome to bring guests on September 17th, (but we would greatly appreciate an RSVP, by e-mail or by phone to 289-389-1022, to Adam Schumacher)

We look forward to seeing you on the 17th!

Regards,
Harry Stinson

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 7:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

After setbacks, Harry Stinson sets his sights 97 storeys lower

Posted: September 14, 2009, 2:59 PM
by Rob Roberts
By Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...eys-lower.aspx

Harry Stinson has taken over the teachers' lounge at the Stinson School and hung up renderings of his projects that succeeded or failed: One King West (succeeded, but he lost control) Sapphire Tower on Toronto's Temperance Street (failed), High Park Lofts (succeeded) Hamilton Grand Hotel (failed).

But the development to which Mr. Stinson, 56, compares his latest venture is the one not on the wall: the Candy Factory Lofts, a four-storey factory conversion in the 1990s that arguably launched Toronto's West Queen West as a destination. Today Mr. Stinson, a developer with 50-, 80-and 100-storey ambitions, has come back to earth.

"Perhaps the 100-storey tower was a little flamboyant, but here, people say, 'If you get it together, I'll take one,' '' says Mr. Stinson of his latest project.

Mr. Stinson moved from Toronto to Hamilton in January 2008, after the creditors pushed him out of his job running One King West, a condo hotel anchored in a restored bank. He still owes creditors $17-million to $18-million, which he is working to repay, he says, and is fighting his former partner David Mirvish, the impressario, who is suing Mr. Stinson.

Mr. Stinson's first foray into Hamilton real estate -- a plan to reopen the shuttered Connaught Hotel in the city's decrepit downtown, adding a 100-storey tower --collapsed in the past year when he could not arrange financing.

His latest fixer-upper is his first-ever project with his name on it -- quite by chance. Ebenezer Stinson, a grain and flour merchant in the 1830s, had a Hamilton street named after him. In 1894 on Stinson Street, workers erected the Stinson School, a proud three-storey edifice in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. With its red Credit Valley sandstone, peaked slate roofs and an entrance archway leading to grand wood doors, it looks like a smaller version of Toronto's Old City Hall, and won historical designation in 1989.

At March Break 2009, the Hamilton/Wentworth School Board moved students to a new school nearby; Mr. Stinson, raising $1-million from "friends and family," bought the pile in June. Mr. Stinson's crew has since ripped down the drop ceilings in the entranceway to reveal the full 4.5-metre heights.

Mr. Stinson, dressed in shiny new Brooks running shoes and a black T-shirt from One King West, stopped some workers as we entered the school to speak about spots where the plaster has fallen, revealing the lath on the ceiling.

"Just patch them with pieces of plywood," he says. "We'll just paint it out, because we're running out of time."

A sign on the front lawn here promises, "Lofts from $199,900. Soon to be Hamilton's best address." This Thursday, Mr. Stinson's team plans an open house to show off, and hopefully sell, the 70 suites of this building, including a row of townhouses alongside the school. He has hired some workers from nearby rooming houses, and notes that battered five-bedroom homes here sell for under $200,000, but insists that people will pay over $400,000 for two-bedroom units with walkout gardens.

Mr. Stinson runs hot and cold on Hamilton; the other day he was disgusted to learn that the owners of the Connaught, the hotel he tried to revive, are seeking $18-million from governments to retool the place as affordable housing.

"Everything here depends on government grants," he says. "It's like Newfoundland in Ontario." This slur does a disservice to Newfoundland and perhaps even to Steeltown. With the possibility of an NHL franchise in the air, and crews busy on a dramatic, invasive restoration of the city's modernist jewel of a City Hall, Hamilton has some wind in its sails.

"It is a very family-friendly city," says Drew Hauser, a principal at Stanford Downey architects, who moved his family to Hamilton from Toronto three years ago (and is thrilled that, with Mr. Stinson working here, he has a job near his home). "My wife is a therapist, in two months she was fully booked out. You're a short trip to the vineyard; instead of going to the LCBO you can go to a wine-tasting."

As we are chatting Fred Voytek, a property manager with Effort Trust -- the biggest landlord in Hamilton -- walks in.

"I'm just a curious potential customer," he says. "We have a big house in Burlington. The kids have gone and left." He grew up in Hamilton, and is considering a return. He is encouraged by this project. "Hamilton has suffered from a lack of leadership for so long," he says. "There's no vision."

Hamilton, though on hard times, is a sleeper, full of spectacular architecture. Like many in Hamilton, Mr. Voytek is thrilled that someone sees the potential of his home town. Mr. Stinson is eager to oblige.

"I got nothing to lose," Mr. Stinson says. "So what the hell. I'll give it a shot."

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:52 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
He has hired some workers from nearby rooming houses...
Given the context of the paragraph, I'm sure that was intended as a put-down, but that makes me like Stinson even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
"Hamilton has suffered from a lack of leadership for so long," he says. "There's no vision."
That's pretty much the entire problem with this city. If there's no vision... things die.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:59 AM

It sounds like this project is being held together by bubble gum and chicken wire. The idea that people would pay $400K for condo units in that area also seems quite far-fetched --- putting it mildly, the neighbourhood is not all that great a place in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 11:39 AM

Have you ever entered this neighbourhood? Myself, being a resident of the Stinson neighbourhood, would have to disagree with your opinion. The community, while admitedly still has a few pockets of sketchiness, is generally a well maintained neighbourhood of homes with owners that take genuine interest in the upkeep of their homes and the community as a whole. I would liken it to Cabbagetown in Toronto. While I think the price point is high for these units, this is an extremely attractive building and the units look to be well proportioned.

The Stinson community has been invited by Harry Stinson to have a sneak preview of the model condo and sales office this evening at 7. I hope to make it there and will report back here. The sales office officially opens to the public this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Have you ever entered this neighbourhood?
I have.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I have.
Please expand. When and where was your visit to our neighbourhood and what was the nature of your visit? Were you just driving through, visiting someone else, or did your live there? How recent was your visit? What experiences did you have that makes you say "putting it mildly, the neighbourhood is not all that great a place".

Frankly, since purchasing my home here I have watched the neighbourhood improve significantly and it is much greater a place than one could notice by 'just passing through'. My home's property value in the six years that have passed has increased by over 50%. Not very many neighbourhoods can boast such an increase in that short a period of time. And, despite your obvious negative bias towards Harry Stinson, he has always been bang on in identifying the up and coming neighbourhoods in a city.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:52 PM

I was there last night as a friend lives across from the school. All the lights were on and there seemed to be alot of activity in there. I might check it out tonight, just for interests sake.

Stinson is a nice neighbourhood. Of the several houses I've been into in the area all were in fine shape and surprisingly well appointed, easily on par with the average Durand house.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton