HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I wish I could "like" comments on this forum without having to actually type several words to say that I liked the comment!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They are ripping all that up again? who the hell is in charge of infrastructure / utility upgrades in this damn city? why go through all the trouble of renovating shit if they are going to rip it all up again the next year.
Just to clarify, this years work is north of Sifton, they aren't ripping up all the work they did south of the river over the past 2 years. Though they are ripping up along the fairly recently built sidewalks along the river (which are more then 3 years old but not much). At least ATCO decided to do their upgrades in this area before the city starts tearing it up this time.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:46 PM
Closed account

There is a lot of storm sewer replacement work going on right now on Crowchild in Lakeview. Luckily whoever coordinates this stuff is getting the new bike lane changes (south of 66th ave) implemented at the same time as they put the road back, so that's something, I guess.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 9:09 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I don't get why they can't do it all in one go. Why spend 3 years ripping it all up and re-paving the whole road to come back again the next year and rip it all up again, seems horribly inefficient.
Because if they did it all right away, they would most likely have to redo it in a few years anyway. If you completely shut down a road, rebuilt it all at once, then you might be able to avoid it - other than putting a finish coat of asphalt on a few years later. However, when they have to keep roads open, that means that they have to do work in little pieces, which means that different sections will be compacted to slightly different levels, and will settle differently. The only solution then is to redo it all once all of the other stuff is complete (and then still put on the final layer of asphalt a couple of years later).

The roadway on top of the new LRT tunnel under 64th Ave for the new LRT extension has now been redone 4 times, at least. The ground just keeps settling. Immediately on top of the tunnel, the depth of backfill is quite little, but the depth of backfill just beside the tunnel is the depth of the whole tunnel. I know they have filled the holes a couple of times, and also have taken everything out down to a metre or two below the top and then redone it a couple of times too. The final asphalt layer won't go on until it stops settling.

Either way, it's the contractors spending the money. If it were cheaper to do it all at once, I'm sure they would do it that way.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Because if they did it all right away, they would most likely have to redo it in a few years anyway. If you completely shut down a road, rebuilt it all at once, then you might be able to avoid it - other than putting a finish coat of asphalt on a few years later. However, when they have to keep roads open, that means that they have to do work in little pieces, which means that different sections will be compacted to slightly different levels, and will settle differently. The only solution then is to redo it all once all of the other stuff is complete (and then still put on the final layer of asphalt a couple of years later).

The roadway on top of the new LRT tunnel under 64th Ave for the new LRT extension has now been redone 4 times, at least. The ground just keeps settling. Immediately on top of the tunnel, the depth of backfill is quite little, but the depth of backfill just beside the tunnel is the depth of the whole tunnel. I know they have filled the holes a couple of times, and also have taken everything out down to a metre or two below the top and then redone it a couple of times too. The final asphalt layer won't go on until it stops settling.

Either way, it's the contractors spending the money. If it were cheaper to do it all at once, I'm sure they would do it that way.
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression they were doing the part between 45th and Sifton again, glad to hear they are continuing with what they already did, not re-doing it. It's just a pain in the ass having Elbow as a construction site year after year, but I do see the necessity.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 10:28 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Why would some of the sections between poured sections be left unpoured at this stage (specifically, sections 16, 18 36)?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
Why would some of the sections between poured sections be left unpoured at this stage (specifically, sections 16, 18 36)?
My guess would be that they require something special (vent or access shaft perhaps) that they don't want to or can't use a typical form for.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:16 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
It's a pattern that has been happening the whole time, and it is so that they can have four crews working on sections at the same time, and still have repeatable forming rigs. Two crews - one on each side - working on the leading section, and another crew on each side to fill in the gaps. If you formed them side by side (together) instead, the forms for one would get in the way of the other one, and one might be delayed while waiting for the other one to finish. Doing sections twice as wide instead would probably mean that the concrete pours would be too big for one day of pouring.

I wondered the same thing when I first saw that pattern. But it makes a lot of sense.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:54 AM

Quote:
I wondered the same thing when I first saw that pattern. But it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for explaining - that does makes sense!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:18 PM

Yeah that makes way more sense that what I was speculating...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:56 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
You know you spend too much time on the internet when you can see a dong in one of those aerial pictures...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I just got caught up in that mess trying to get from NB Deerfoot onto WB Glenmore. No signage whatsover until you got to Heritage Drive and the road was blocked off. The City might want to put up some signage to give some advance notice.
They closed it at 1PM. I imagine it took them some time to set up signage for detours. You just happened to be there shortly after they closed it. Hard to give advance notice for something that changed quickly.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:38 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They closed it at 1PM. I imagine it took them some time to set up signage for detours. You just happened to be there shortly after they closed it. Hard to give advance notice for something that changed quickly.
Good point. It was about 1:15 that I came through so obviously very soon after the road was closed. However by that time traffic was backed up almost all the way to Deerfoot.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 2:48 AM
Near Generational

Made the horrific mistake of trying to tour around Stoney Trail on my way home from work.

When did they close 84th ST SW to 22x?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 3:44 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Made the horrific mistake of trying to tour around Stoney Trail on my way home from work.

When did they close 84th ST SW to 22x?
About a month ago. The detour is pretty simple. 104st and 146 ave back to 84th.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 7:06 PM
Closed account

City of Calgary is about ready to show off preliminary concepts for McLeod Trail, 25th ave to Anderson.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...irect=/macleod

Open Houses:

• June 14, 2012 at Chinook Centre – Centre Court (6455 Macleod Trail S.W.), 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

• June 19, 2012 at Southcentre Mall – Centre Court (100 Anderson Road S.E.), 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:20 AM

Calgary city council mulls Metis Trail makeover
CBC News Posted: Jun 20, 2012 9:31 PM MT Last Updated: Jun 20, 2012 9:29 PM MT

Calgary city council is debating whether to add traffic lights to Metis Trail in order to save some cash down the road.

Metis Trail is currently designated as a skeletal road, meaning, like Glenmore Trail, it has interchanges and few traffic lights to move heavy volumes of traffic.

Aldermen were asked Wednesday to drop Metis to an arterial in a move that would save $250 million in future interchanges.

It would also would mean more traffic lights on the road that ferries thousands of transport trucks around the Calgary airport.

Alderman Jim Stevenson said he believes adding lights to Metis Trail would be a big mistake.

Read More:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...c.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
IMHO

Google Streetview in Calgary again

Yesterday I encountered a Google Streetview car for the second time in a week. I was going down Deerfoot NB onto Airport Trail with him following me from the merge of 64th NB onto Deerfoot. Judging by the bare cameras, he likely was photographing at the time. The cars are bright green and yellow - easy to spot now.

While I think it's about the right time to do a Streetview update in Calgary, the satellite view is in dire need of an update, it's older than the first Streetview at this point.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 6:48 PM

The City of Calgary has some great quality aerial photography from late 2011 they should send off to Google. I don't know if that's how they get their imagery though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure