HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 6:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhsv View Post
Ok.... well, now I'm confused. Back in May, the Times reported that McLain had changed the hotel brand to Residence Inn from Courtyard, and that he was going to build a 160-unit apartment building due to a "perceived demand." Hmmm... either the developers need to make up their minds, or the newspaper needs to get their facts straight.

Hard to keep up with the changes

After work starts on the hotels, the site's condominiums should break ground, with retail to follow soon, he said. Among other stores, McLain said he hopes to recruit a "green grocer." (I guess that means they still have not)

"I think the residents of Twickenham and Old Town would like that," he said.

McLain said he expects Constellation to take about three years to complete.

That's a blip for the Huntsville developer, who said Friday that he's on plan 29 for the project.
That's how many iterations Constellation has gone through - so far. And, McLain noted, the project continues to evolve.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 8:24 PM

Some around the town observations:
Construction of the next section of Valley Bend/Jones Valley Target has begun. I think I read that a Dicks Sporting Goods was going in there.

There is some activity going on at the old Tweeter location of 72 Target. Anybody heard any rumors on that? (Maybe some activity at CompUSA too)

Does anybody know of any projects going into the old carpet warehouse on University? It is being slowly demolished.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 10:54 PM

Huntsville's Mayoral Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Huntsville has reached a plateau, what will be the next thing to get us off of it and go higher? The city is in a lull it seems, anyone have other thoughts?
The issue's which the next Mayor needs to urgently address are:
1. Repopulating the city. There are too many city schools which are sitting half empty and the enrollment figures overall are not increasing. To address this there needs to be an all out effort to specifically bolster and improve the Lee and Columbia districts (Huntsville High and Grissom are at capacity) by encouraging quality residential developments and if possible free the School System from the 1970 Desegregation suit.
Presently the HSV City Limits are larger than those of Atlanta, Baltimore and numerous other large cities. Just to maintain the infrastructure, more population and commercial property are essential. Quality schools are critical in that effort.
2. Go ahead and buy the land for the next Research Park. In the early 1980's the decision was made to buy the Bradford Farm which is now CRP West and what a wise decision and investment that was. At the present time it will be difficulty to assemble 1,000 undeveloped acres to accomodate such a park - they might even have to go into Limestone County near the sight for the VW plant to get that much acreage. Otherwise, growth will be stifled.
3. University Drive near UAH is an eyesore and a major embarrasment. The city should implement a zoning overlay district (with stricter restrictions, no pole signs, only monument signs, etc.) Also, the powerful members of the Committee of 100 should be encouraged to pool their resources and buy out the run down businesses and redevelop the area to have more student friendly businesses. For a student without a car there are few dining options.
4. Revitilization of older retail centers (e.g. Madison Square and its environs) is urgent as 55% of the city's budget is derived from the sales tax. Without this new schools won't be possible.
5. Completing the Parkway Overpasses as well as completing AL 255 (Res. Pk. Blvd.) so it continues to N. mem. Pkwy, Hwy 72 East and then on to Hampton Cove. (The long term plan).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:08 PM
America's Mars Rocket

A good deal of activity now downtown at the Constellation site. Temporary gravel road being put in , this will be the main thoroughfare through the site.
Dirt has been brought in and compacted, raising the site above flood levels
I assume. All this in anticipation of hotel groundbreaking Wednesday.
Hopefully things will move along quicker than expected.
Hopefully we will also see the latest plan of the developemnt this week.

I hope voters go with Tommy Battle for mayor. Any other time Mayor Spencer would be a solid pick but I just feel the city needs to take a new direction now.
Things won't be terrible with Spencer but they could be better with Battle.

David1502 has good ideas, the city is growing just not in some areas hence the
school discrepancies, I expect Lee to grow with the new high school set for construction, Columbia is picking up a lot of the new growth in west Huntsville. The school consolidation plan the board came up with a month or so ago has some good ideas. Why certain areas of University, North Parkway, Governors Dr etc have to all look like parts of Detroit is a mystery.
To the Mayor's credit they are in the process of assembling a plan to purchase land to expand or develop a new research park. Areas downtown
(north of Holmes ) should be looked at (developed) as being an area for high tech companies.
Revitalization I guess is so tied to the economy it's hard to move when things are stuck. CBL could really make Mad Square a showplace, Parkway Place a great example.
Downtown I still think is the key, Constellation should/could be that catalyst
that creates something special (spinoff development).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:00 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Huntsville Hospital continues expansion, hints at other projects
WHNT TV
When Decatur OB-GYN Associates announced they'd be leaving Decatur General Hospital, they said they would be making deliveries at Huntsville Hospital. According to Huntsville Hospital, their Women and Children's Hospital already makes the most deliveries in the state. So are they ready to take on five more doctors' patients and their babies?

The Women and Children's Hospital is undergoing some major renovations to get prepared for the Decatur OB-GYN Associates. C.E.O. David Spillers says it's been in the works for quite a while.

"We're going to add four more labor and delivery rooms, another mother and baby unit and a well-baby nursery. So it's a fairly large expansion to the Women's and Children's campus," said Spillers.
The reason Decatur OB-GYN Associates is leaving Decatur General Hospital is because of uninsured patients not paying their bills.

Right now, Huntsville Hospital for Women and Children has 16 delivery rooms. By October, they'll be up to 20. With the new doctors, it means about 90 more deliveries a month.
The hospital also has a larger renovation plan they are working on that will take over the next 5 to 7 years.

Spillers says once the Madison hospital is built, the Decatur doctors plan to do their deliveries there. However, construction hasn't started yet.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:24 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Publix Super Markets will open a 45,600-square-foot store Wednesday in Harvest Square shopping center at 5850 Alabama 53 in Harvest.

This will give the Lakeland, Fla.-based grocery store chain nine stores in the Huntsville market.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 6:13 PM
America's Mars Rocket

At Bridge Street, Sakaro(sp) Japanese Grill will replace Biscuits and Blues,
Cajun Grill open soon, construction ongoing at The Gap.
Old Navy should be open soon as well replacing the University Drive location.
No sign of construction on the second phase across the street which needs serious reconsideration before they build basically a strip center.
The 6 story office building is nearing completion. Melting Pot, Wine Loft, and Rare 120 all up for completion before the end of the year.
Another hotel is desperately needed to complement the Westin. Aloft would be a good fit. I'm surprised a large monument sign (lots of neon!) hasn't been put up on the island alongside Research Park Blvd. Maybe current sign ordiances won't allow it but I expect some type of sign in the near future. The signs at Bridge Street are very nice but a bit subdued. The main entrance ones are easily overlooked.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:20 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised a large monument sign (lots of neon!) hasn't been put up on the island alongside Research Park Blvd. Maybe current sign ordiances won't allow it but I expect some type of sign in the near future. The signs at Bridge Street are very nice but a bit subdued. The main entrance ones are easily overlooked.
You're probably right about the sign ordinance. About 6 years ago, when the redeveloped Parkway Place was nearing completion, the developers wanted to put a big sign on the Parkway (probably like the one at Cool Springs in Franklin, TN). The city rejected their request. And I doubt their opinions have changed since then. But I am surprised that Lamar Outdoor got away with putting those "digital" billboards around the city... must be some loophole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger
I hope voters go with Tommy Battle for mayor. Any other time Mayor Spencer would be a solid pick but I just feel the city needs to take a new direction now.
Things won't be terrible with Spencer but they could be better with Battle.
I think almost everyone on here agrees with you, Tiger. But here's the problem-- there's too many naive people in this city who, on election day, will look at the numbers-- all the new jobs, the growing population-- and think that everything here is "fine and dandy." But what they don't realize is that the city hasn't done anything to plan for the future. Our leaders are so stuck in keeping things the way they are. I'm afraid that when people here realize that we need to act like a city our size, it'll be too late. Tommy Battle for mayor.

Oh yeah, I thought this was funny... a comment posted on Battle's website by a reader:

"Tommy, What is your plan for keeping and enlarging green space in Huntsville? I think Mayor Spencer has done an outstanding job in ensuring we dont OVER develop our once very beautiful city. Today it is still pretty, but the mountainside development and several other over developed areas is beginning to ruin this great southern town. "

Like I said, too many naive people. Don't people realize that Spencer lives on that mountain? Didn't she vote "yes" for the infamous Summit building, which took away 600 square feet of "precious" parkland? And hasn't most of that development happened on Spencer's watch? She has been mayor for 12 years now, you know.

There was an even better comment about height limits, along the lines of... "Why are you going to build an UGLY 16-story building that will overshadow the Saturn IV (sic) and our beautiful mountains and destroy the historical character of our city?" but it was deleted.

Last edited by jmanhsv; Aug 19, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The issue's which the next Mayor needs to urgently address are:
1. Repopulating the city. There are too many city schools which are sitting half empty and the enrollment figures overall are not increasing. To address this there needs to be an all out effort to specifically bolster and improve the Lee and Columbia districts (Huntsville High and Grissom are at capacity) by encouraging quality residential developments and if possible free the School System from the 1970 Desegregation suit.
Presently the HSV City Limits are larger than those of Atlanta, Baltimore and numerous other large cities. Just to maintain the infrastructure, more population and commercial property are essential. Quality schools are critical in that effort.
2. Go ahead and buy the land for the next Research Park. In the early 1980's the decision was made to buy the Bradford Farm which is now CRP West and what a wise decision and investment that was. At the present time it will be difficulty to assemble 1,000 undeveloped acres to accomodate such a park - they might even have to go into Limestone County near the sight for the VW plant to get that much acreage. Otherwise, growth will be stifled.
3. University Drive near UAH is an eyesore and a major embarrasment. The city should implement a zoning overlay district (with stricter restrictions, no pole signs, only monument signs, etc.) Also, the powerful members of the Committee of 100 should be encouraged to pool their resources and buy out the run down businesses and redevelop the area to have more student friendly businesses. For a student without a car there are few dining options.
4. Revitilization of older retail centers (e.g. Madison Square and its environs) is urgent as 55% of the city's budget is derived from the sales tax. Without this new schools won't be possible.
5. Completing the Parkway Overpasses as well as completing AL 255 (Res. Pk. Blvd.) so it continues to N. mem. Pkwy, Hwy 72 East and then on to Hampton Cove. (The long term plan).

It never cease to amaze me of how people here love government. You want to regulate the kind of sign someone has for their business? Ever heard of something called "Freedom?" Leave people alone. A great city is a free city, where people are allowed to do what they want with their property, not fascist-style top-down planned city. If you don't like someone's sign, don't look at it.

www.bobbarr2008.com

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 1:11 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
At Bridge Street, Sakaro(sp) Japanese Grill will replace Biscuits and Blues,
Cajun Grill open soon, construction ongoing at The Gap.
Old Navy should be open soon as well replacing the University Drive location.
No sign of construction on the second phase across the street which needs serious reconsideration before they build basically a strip center.
The 6 story office building is nearing completion. Melting Pot, Wine Loft, and Rare 120 all up for completion before the end of the year.
Another hotel is desperately needed to complement the Westin. Aloft would be a good fit. I'm surprised a large monument sign (lots of neon!) hasn't been put up on the island alongside Research Park Blvd. Maybe current sign ordiances won't allow it but I expect some type of sign in the near future. The signs at Bridge Street are very nice but a bit subdued. The main entrance ones are easily overlooked.
A bit more on Biscuits and Blues, restaurants close for two reasons, bad food, bad management, this one seems to have had both.
from WHNT TV
http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=8867728

A Bridge Street Town Centre restaurant has closed its doors. When Biscuits and Blues Cafe shut down they left several employees angry. The reason is pretty simple workers say they didn't get paid before Ron and Ava Banks closed down Biscuit and Blues Cafe.

"I do know they had been experiencing some difficulty with staffing and things like that, but we had several of our tenants that loved absolutely loved them and loved going there. And we also had some service complaints, but I think you have that with every store especially when you're newer and still getting things running," said Director of Bridge Street Marketing Niki Hogan. "I think it was just a point of management and that he just decided to move on do other things."
It's not the last time we'll be hearing from the Banks family. Their next business venture will be at Madison Square Mall. They're expected to open Jax's Barbeque at the first of September in the food court.

As for the space left at Bridge Street a Japanese restaurant is going in there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 3:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Similar to the new hotel planned downtown at Constellation?
This Springhill Suites is near Chicago. It will be interesting to see
how distinctive it will be since it will be part of a mixed use development
and not just standing out by itself. Sometimes these properties are a disaster in stuccco
but I anticipate this one to be much nicer in appearance. Let's hope it will make downtown proud.

Most Residence Inns which has been announced as planned next door to the Springhill Suites are 2-3 floors but the Huntsville property will
be 6 floors and may be similar to this new design of one in Houston.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Aug 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknah View Post
It never cease to amaze me of how people here love government. You want to regulate the kind of sign someone has for their business? Ever heard of something called "Freedom?" Leave people alone. A great city is a free city, where people are allowed to do what they want with their property, not fascist-style top-down planned city. If you don't like someone's sign, don't look at it.

www.bobbarr2008.com
In response to "Ever heard of something called "Freedom?", my response is, "Have you ever heard of a thing called ZONING?" Investors are reluctant to build quality projects when a double wide trailer, tattoo shop, used car lot or check cashing place might go in next door. This is not Jackson County where the County Commission was unsuccessful in prohibiting junk on property because the residents would rather live with visible junk instead of having any restrictions. What I'm talking about would not force any existing pole sign to go down - those are already "grandfathered in." What I am promoting has been successfully implemented in the Atlanta suburbs where the City Council will say any new businesses built have to conform to the overlay district restrictions. Overtime, when old businesses are torn down and new higher quality structures with monument signs are built, the remaining businesses which don't conform stand out like "sore thumbs" and the owners often "conform" to "keep up with the Jones's."
Getting back to my original point about University Dr., what parent from outside the area would want their College age child to live in a dorm at UAH when University Dr. looks like "Detroit"? (as HSV Tiger said) The City needs to start somewhere and the status quo isn't cutting it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:53 PM

Zoning restrictions work great up until they force an undue financial hardship on small businesses. When I was considering building a new building, my first concern was to be outside the Huntsville City limits in order to avoid some of the requirements placed on new construction. The additional requirements would have added about 15% to the cost, and provide nothing of value other than the perceived aesthetic improvement. I find it kind of depressing that everywhere there is new construction, whether Atlanta, Nashville, etc, it all looks the same with the cut up parking and fake greenspace. Buildings that have character and give a city the sense of permanence are mashed down to build another hotel, which you can find pictures of just a few posts earlier. I find the Embassy hotel downtown to be quite ugly.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 8:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The website for the billion dollar development at County Line Rd and I-565,
now called WaterStone
http://www.trinityrcf.com/project_fl...spitality.html
Huntsville International airport is due south with most of this project in the
flight paths of the runways, so that could be an issue and has already been mentioned by the airport board.
Looks great on the web but this 7-10 year project will change.
good look at the design of the new new interchange planned. This may actually happen sooner than later.

http://www.trinityrcf.com/project_fl...affic_flow.pdf

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 9:19 PM

TVA Rate Hike

TVA hikes power rates 20 percent
Posted by Associated Press August 20, 2008 11:34 AM
Categories: News
KNOXVILLE -- The Tennessee Valley Authority has approved its largest electric rate increase in more than 30 years.

The 20 percent hike will affect millions of customers across the TVA's seven-state region. The change will raise monthly bills between $15.80 and $19.80 for the average residential customer beginning Oct. 1.

TVA directors meeting in Knoxville, Tenn., on Wednesday blamed most of the increase on rising costs of coal and natural gas.

A smaller portion of the increase is part of the base rate hike taking effect under the new $12.6 billion budget.

This is the largest increase at TVA since a 20.2 percent increase in 1974.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Some around the town observations:
Construction of the next section of Valley Bend/Jones Valley Target has begun. I think I read that a Dicks Sporting Goods was going in there.

There is some activity going on at the old Tweeter location of 72 Target. Anybody heard any rumors on that? (Maybe some activity at CompUSA too)

Does anybody know of any projects going into the old carpet warehouse on University? It is being slowly demolished.
Yea i heard Dicks sporting goods too and they also said some smaller stores also. They said only thing left to develop is a few outparcels that would be resturants.

The old carper place it looks like the are expanding the building with new steel in the back of the building but i haven't seen any releases on the old carpet building or tweeter or carpet usa.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:38 PM

I went to the Governor's Luncheon yesterday. Economic diversification was the theme. That was welcome to my ears, but it was just acknowledgement that diversification is going to be important to Huntsville. I thought it was funny that Bob Riley was kissing up to Boeing at the luncheon. Boeing isn't going to build an air force tanker plant in Mobile. He's kissing the wrong rear end. He needs to be kissing Northrup Grumman considering they plan on building three or five more buildings in Research Park and bringing more ops to Huntsville.... not to mention their name is on that tanker contract...

There just was not a whole lot said. It was all 'feel good' talking. You heard the 'last hand at the auction' spiel on VW, and you heard some talk about toll roads, and you heard absolutely NOTHING about education except that Alabama is on the cusp of 'academic greatness.' Well I must've been educated in Missouri, because all I have to say is: "show me."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:33 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Construction started Wednesday on the SpringHill Suites at the Constellation development. A sign went up as well indicating as much along Memorial Parkway. Curbs are being poured along the main road through the project.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post
I went to the Governor's Luncheon yesterday. Economic diversification was the theme. That was welcome to my ears, but it was just acknowledgement that diversification is going to be important to Huntsville. I thought it was funny that Bob Riley was kissing up to Boeing at the luncheon. Boeing isn't going to build an air force tanker plant in Mobile. He's kissing the wrong rear end. He needs to be kissing Northrup Grumman considering they plan on building three or five more buildings in Research Park and bringing more ops to Huntsville.... not to mention their name is on that tanker contract...

There just was not a whole lot said. It was all 'feel good' talking. You heard the 'last hand at the auction' spiel on VW, and you heard some talk about toll roads, and you heard absolutely NOTHING about education except that Alabama is on the cusp of 'academic greatness.' Well I must've been educated in Missouri, because all I have to say is: "show me."
Well Boeing already has more employees in Huntsville than they would ever have in Mobile, so I guess he wants to protect what's already here.
About VW, wish he would say that the state was being used and really never had a chance for the plant, but he doesn't want to burn any bridges,

"Asked after his speech about Volkswagen's selection last month of Chattanooga over Huntsville for a $1 billion assembly plant that's expected to create 2,000 jobs, Riley first congratulated Tennessee.

"You have to look at every individual project and determine if it's the best deal" when considering the investment, Riley said. "I said, 'We can go so far and no further.' "

Alabama officials earlier valued their incentives package for VW at close to $400 million. Tennessee has yet to detail its incentives package, saying it depends on the plant's design and infrastructure needs.

The German automaker's preferred site in Alabama was farmland in eastern Limestone County, north of Greenbrier Road, that Huntsville annexed this year."

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 12:41 AM

Its pretty sad when ATMORE,AL is going to have a building and future buildings taller than the ones in Huntsville. By the way this hotel there builing is going to be 17 floors!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast