HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 7:34 PM
Fourth and Main

Matt's Thanksgiving Day Adventure

After two years, I finally made a trip back to Winston-Salem to get an update on everything and find some Moravian Cookies! Unfortunately, I was there on Thanksgiving Day, so everyone took the day-off, closing a lot of the places I wanted to go. Including the Moravian bakery, where the cookies I wanted are made. This is a long tour, so get ready and this tour has the largest photos of any tour I’ve posted. This is not for 56k modems.

I worked my way south, looking for Moravian Cookies on a holiday. As you already know, I wasted my time looking for them, since everyone closed for Thanksgiving.

248 South Main is proposed as a 9-storey mixed-use tower with a good view of downtown. The lower floors will be offices and upper floors will be condos. They are a little too expensive for me though.

Lower Downtown:

The concrete building on the left is The Downtown Middle School. How would you like to go to school in a neighborhood like this?

The Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem is an interesting subject of its own, from the outdoor chairs to the mix of modern and historic design of the building it's in.

The old Coffee Pot, made in 1858 , was once surrounded by Victorian Rowhouses and storefronts on South Main Street, but was moved to its present location in the 1950's, due to highway construction.

Now we are entering the Old Salem National Landmark District. A landmark district is different from an historic district. These buildings date back to the founding of this country in the mid-1700's. Winston-Salem is fortunate to have multiple neighborhoods with houses from the 1700's. Winston-Salem also has a hotel George Washington stayed at and it's in this neighborhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Washington
Salem is a small but neat village, and like all the rest of the Moravian settlements, is governed by an excellent police, having within itself all kind of artisans.

George Washington arrived in Winston-Salem on May 31, 1791 and left on June 2, 1791. He met with North Carolina Governor Alexander Martin.

On June 1, 1791 at Salem Tavern, George Washington said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Washington
After all, good people, I am but a citizen of our free country, like you all. I thank you for the honor shown me
If you visit Winston-Salem's Old Salem District, you can see where George Washington stayed and eat at the Salem Tavern Restaurant where he ate. Both were closed on Thanksgiving Day. Sorry.

Winston-Salem's Cedar Street: was once a tourist attraction for its infill Victorian rowhouses and beautiful mansions dating back to 1802! It was featured in a number of old postcards 100 years ago.

Cedar Hyrst Castle was designed by New York City residential architect Max Schroff. It was the home of Nathaniel Siewers and his wife Eleanor. It was built of rough hewn Indiana Limestone and featured a castellated porte cochere, Gothic arched entrance porch and inscriptions noting the date and architect with the phrase "Firmly built, Having trusted in God." Nathaniel was a world traveler and wanted his home to be like those he saw in Europe.

A look inside! The home features the best in wood craftsmanship from the Fogle Brothers Construction Company.

God's Acre:
An interesting place to go on Thanksgiving Day. This is the major historic graveyard in North Carolina. It was also featured on countless postcards years ago and is a tourist attraction. All the stones look the same to symbolize the equality of death. There is a section in the back where you'll find decorative headstones though.

You can see some of the buildings downtown in the background. Easter Sunrise Service is held here every year. The first Easter Sunrise Service at this graveyard was in 1773.

John Birkhead was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England in 1739 and moved to Winston-Salem in 1766. He died on June 7, 1771 and was the first person buried in God's Acre.

Usually this place would be filled with tourists and you would see so many cars along the street, you couldn't get a good photo. Since it's a holiday, it's easy to get a good photo of the houses.

She shouldn't be surprised to see someone photographing her house. Living in this district, you have international tour groups, school children and travelers from everywhere.

A narrow cobblestone street.

The building (picture above) on the right was built in 1800 and is where the Moravian Cookies are made! It was closed, as you can see. They still use the same 206 year old oven to make their cookies and sugar cake!

12 structures are used as tour buildings. You must buy a ticket to see them.

Looking north towards the skyline. You can get some fun contrasts (past - present).

Salem Square is the oldest park in Winston-Salem, built in 1766. The rowhouses above are from 1785 and are being restored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

You can see the famous Home Moravian Church to the far left. The first stone for the church was set in 1798. It's only the second oldest Moravian Church in Winston-Salem, but it's the most well known.

Signs along the sidewalk say the streets are at different elevations from the sidewalks due to the electric streetcar system installed in the 1800's.

This store (above) also sells Moravian Cookies, but was closed for Thanksgiving Day.

This house was built in 1768!

Salem College and Victorian rowhouses

Salem College is the nation's oldest women's college, the first college in the south, the first college in North Carolina and one of the first 15 colleges in the United States. The college was founded while Winston-Salem was under British rule in the Carolina Colony, so it is older than the United States.

Cesar Pelli's Wachovia Center is Winston-Salem's tallest building. It's also currently the tallest in the Carolinas outside Charlotte. It stands 34 storeys tall and was designed in Winston-Salem's signature Moravian Revival architectural style.

This marker is across the street from the Wachovia Center. First Street was the dividing line between Salem and Winston before both cities merged to form today's Winston-Salem. The merged city was North Carolina's largest city for a number of years. Today Winston-Salem is a city of around 238,000 people in a metro of half-a-million people.

8 West Third Street is the oldest standing skyscraper in North Carolina. It was originally the headquarters for Wachovia National Bank. The 4th largest bank today.

Winston-Salem's City Hall North was built as the largest municipal building in North Carolina when Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest city in the 1920's.

The H. Ward United States Federal Building (above) is the tallest federal building in North Carolina.

The 15-storey Calibre Wealth Management Center was built in 2002.

The Hitchcock Building (pictured above) was built in 1849. It has six floors, according to this directory, but you have to walk up steps to get to the first floor, so it could have seven floors? The building was expanded in 1896, expanded again in 1926 and expanded again in 1959.

I wish I had a fisheye lens...

The building above was originally proposed as a 28-storey high-rise in the 1920's. It was the first art deco office building in North Carolina.

Civic Plaza Construction Site:

Work is currently underway to build two skyscrapers along Fourth Street. One is a 10-storey condo tower called One Park Vista and the other is a mixed use tower with offices and retail on the lower floors and apartments on the upper floors, called 100 West Fourth Street. Between these two buildings will be a city park with fountains and a concert shell.

One Park Vista (above) has the most expensive condos in the metro area. Dan Marino received info on buying one of these recently.

100 West Fourth Street and Civic Plaza Park (above).

Current progress on the site for these two buildings and city park.

Elevated walkway on the Pedestrian Walkway System.

The handrail on this walkway is actually famous.

Skateboarders and extreme sports fans from around North America will stop in Winston-Salem to grind that rail and not get caught by the police. The police station is next door.

Many of them have signed and spray-painted this part of the walkway system with their names and locations, from Canada to Atlanta.

This park will be renovated as part of the Civic Plaza development.

Efirds Department Store (above). The building is around 100 years old. Most of the buildings along this street are from the 1800's.

The Memory Wall of Peace and love was made by Chicago sculptor Mr. Imagination, using items donated for the project.

Since it was Thanksgiving Day, only regional and national buses were running at the Transit Center.

Inside the Transit Center (pictured above) an etched glass wall tells the history of mass-transit in Winston-Salem. This is a reverse negative image, so you can read it. I took the photo from the waiting area, while those waiting on buses looked-on.

It was a good time to walk the dog or ride a bike after eating. Of course I was planning to eat-out at a restaurant after these pictures.

ISP Broadcast Studios and Luxury Condos

Construction at ISP Sports headquarters and broadcast center. The lower floors are offices and the upper floors are luxury condos. ISP Sports will have live 24/7 interviews you can view through the windows as you walk-by their street-level broadcast studios. ISP Sports is the country’s largest multimedia rightsholder. ISP's Radio Network has more than 800 radio affiliates and broadcasts sports programing to over 100 TV outlets.

ISP partner schools include Akron, Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, BYU, Cal, Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Kent State, Marshall, Miami (Fla.), Ohio, Pittsburgh, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Mississippi, Syracuse, TCU, Troy, Tulane, UAB, UCF, UCLA, UTEP, Vanderbilt, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Washington.

Current partnerships on the conference level include the ACC, Big East and MAC. ISP also has agreements with the Emerald Bowl, FedEx Orange Bowl and Meineke Car Care Bowl.

The skyscraper on the left was once the tallest residential building in the Carolinas. It was built in the 1960's.

The art deco ReynoldsAmerican Tower was the tallest in the Carolinas from 1928-1965. Winston Tower was tallest in the Carolinas from 1965-1971.

Liberty Street is the big development street in Winston-Salem, with two proposed residential developments, new art galleries and a new Visual Arts Center planned. There are also several existing residential and arts developments there, as well as a bike store with bike storage, showers and lockers for bicycle commuters.

Here's one of the new proposed condo developments (pictured above). It's called Liberty Place condominiums. Living in Downtown Winston-Salem isn't affordable. It's a joke to read that on their banner.

Liberty Street has a lot of character too and I hope it's preserved as the street changes. I've heard Liberty Street described as a barbershop row, with a variety of hair related businesses.

Work is finishing-up at Artists on Liberty. A new art gallery on Liberty Street.

I wish I had my skateboard! I would join them.

Nissen Building was tallest in the Carolinas from 1926-1928.

The Nissen Building was the first skyscraper with 20 or more floors in the Carolinas. It was originally bank offices with ground-level retail and a miniature golf course in the basement. Today it's a luxury apartment tower with ground-level retail. Winston-Salem held the titles of best skyline and tallest skyscraper in the Carolinas until the 1970's. You'll see a large number of older buildings in downtown Winston-Salem.

If you look closely, you can still see the words Montaldo's on this building. It was once an upscale department store chain.

The Carolina Apartments and Theatre was the first downtown residential high-rise in North Carolina. Part of a planned skyscraper row white way along Fourth Street in the 1920's. Today it's a performing arts center with arts offices.

I wanted to visit the Mellow Mushroom Pizza Restaurant, but it was closed for Thanksgiving.

Beer and music go well together.

Original 1920's downtown apartments.

New downtown condos under construction with ground-level retail.

Looking between two historic 1920's apartment buildings, I saw this excellent view!

Exploring West End Village:

West End Village is one of the latest developments by well-known urban architect David Furman and Boulevard Centro.

Fourth and Green is the latest proposed condo development in West End Village. It's set to break ground very soon. A 9-10 storey condo tower will also start presales soon! Notice the real 100-year old rowhouses in the background. There are real historic rowhouses and apartments all-around West End Village.

As I said, the view is excellent!

More historic rowhouses. These (above) are also over 100 years old.

And these fake rowhouses (above) are under construction near-by. I don't care much for their design or materials.

These are extremely well-built and well-designed new construction rowhouses on Second Street.

They look great with the historic architecture of the neighborhood.

Only two are still on the market, so if you want one of these, buy it now!

A new performance center under construction for both FPC and the Sawtooth Arts Center.

BB&T is one of the nation's top ten largest banks and this is their headquarters.

The new Tengion corporate headquarters. Tengion is a Biotechnology company in PTRP. The building was just finished this year.

The Gallery Lofts will feature an art gallery and 80 condos.

A new residential building under construction across the street. This building is known as Goler Manor.

Bonus:
Forsyth Medical Center and Sara Lee Women's Health Center construction.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving this year. I spent mine at K&W Restaurant in Winston-Salem, after taking photos all day. It was fun and worth it though! Let me know if you enjoyed these.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 2:20 AM
Bah!

That is a lot of pictures.
Beautiful architecture. Thanks for the great tour.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:24 AM

Awesome pics!...the old Town looks so much like parts of New England...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 4:55 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Winston-Salem -- beautiful as always. Thanks for the tour!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 2:49 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the nice comments.

I always enjoy visiting Winston-Salem. It is a very beautiful place and I too like the variety of architecture there. It has a very unique identity and so many fun and exciting places to explore throughout the city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:14 AM

Nice tour

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 4:25 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Excellent tour of a city I have yet to visit!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 2:08 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you again everyone for the replies. I wish I could visit more often.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:00 AM

Quote:
that is almost literally the street corner of - give me Liberty or Give Me Death

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 2:10 AM
Fourth and Main

There are also several good sized houses on that street with a view of the cemetery, including a large Carpenter Gothic house, some rowhouses and a large old home from the 1840's. I would love to know what these houses sell for?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 2:26 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
There are also several good sized houses on that street with a view of the cemetery, including a large Carpenter Gothic house, some rowhouses and a large old home from the 1840's. I would love to know what these houses sell for?
A house on Cemetery St. would rock. These really are great photos... It's a shame this thread is slipping by the wayside.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 1:57 PM
Fourth and Main

The homes on Cemetery Street have a view of the Cemetery from the front of the house and a view of the skyline at the back of the house. At one time, the city was growing so fast, they could develop almost any property you could think of and it would sell, as long as the terrain wasn't too rough. It is the same cemetery where I photographed the headstones from the 1700's.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:31 PM
Red October standing by

great tour of the real big city of North Carolina.

Beer and music go well together.

hell yeah.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:42 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Gorgeous photos, Matthew! I've gotta get out to W-S one of these days... If only I ever had a solid week in the Carolinas to not only visit my dad, but also get the $5 guided tours of Asheville (by hhnc), Columbia (by LSyd), Charleston (not sure who), Charlotte (probably Style), and now Winston Salem!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 9:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Gorgeous photos, Matthew! I've gotta get out to W-S one of these days... If only I ever had a solid week in the Carolinas to not only visit my dad, but also get the $5 guided tours of Asheville (by hhnc), Columbia (by LSyd), Charleston (not sure who), Charlotte (probably Style), and now Winston Salem!

Aaron (Glowrock)
$10, otherwise you get directed into oncoming traffic again.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 7:42 PM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the replies!

If I'm there, the tour is free. I can show you how to save money on the trip. Save your money for the foot-long hotdogs or BBQ. The food is one of the best parts of the trip.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos