HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Interesting though counties in the US are generally smaller than counties here. Windsor is missing from your list but I presume it would only be Essex County as part of the 'MSA' ( ~ 375,000).
Yep, Chatham Kent has a commuting interchange of 12.1, it would have to be 15 to become part of Windsor's CSA.

Winnipeg's MSA is surprisingly expansive, including areas like St Laurent whose closest boundary to Winnipeg is 80km. The CSA would combine the Winnipeg MSA and Selkirk micropolitan area.

I'm kind of reluctant to do Vancouver since the "counties" are so huge.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:01 AM
ARTchitecture

I feel like this should have been done a long time ago Very interesting topic. Should be moved to Canadian section. Please?

And by the way, what's Calgary's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I agree.

I agree.

Let's get this over here. Mods?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:11 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay's MSA would be 146,057. It would be nearly as big as the Maritimes. There will be no CSA.

Kenora's micropolitan statistical area would cover an area larger than Newfoundland, and all but 3 US states. The largest one would be Yukon; it would involve the entire territory of Yukon. (Northwest Territories has been split into 6 census divisions; Nunavut doesn't have a community with over 10,000 people.)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay's MSA would be 146,057. It would be nearly as big as the Maritimes. There will be no CSA.

Kenora's micropolitan statistical area would cover an area larger than Newfoundland, and all but 3 US states. The largest one would be Yukon; it would involve the entire territory of Yukon. (Northwest Territories has been split into 6 census divisions; Nunavut doesn't have a community with over 10,000 people.)
I actually used "combined subdivisions" for Winnipeg. Basically take a rural subdivision and add to it any towns/cities/villages contained within it. Southern Ontario's census subdivisions are not too big and Southern Quebec's census subdivisions are mostly small, but it gets a bit out of hand out west.

For instance Hanover = Hanover Rural Municipality + Steinbach + Ninerville.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:02 AM
I am a typical

We can't do that in Northern Ontario. There are no municipalities bordering Kenora; it is an enclave within the 400,000sqkm Unorganized Territory of Kenora.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 1:00 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Should be moved to Canadian section. Please?

I agree.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I dispute the idea that Burlington is more connected to Toronto than Hamilton. People watch Hamilton media there, and are ticats fans and much of Hamilton's elite lives in Burlington.

Why would Hamilton lose Grimsby and Burlington? People fail to understand that most people who live in the current Hamilton CMA also work in the Hamilton CMA. A lot of the jobs happen to be in Burlington though, as this has been where most of the industrial and office development has been for the past 30 years (prime land along the QEW). A lot more Hamiltonians work in Burlington than vice versa. But more Burlington residents work in Burlington+Hamilton than in the Toronto CMA. If anything, Burlington is part of the western GTA rather than Toronto itself. Very close ties with Oakville and Mississauga.

Really? On the city of Burlington website, it advertises itself as the best city in the Toronto region. More people in Burlington work in Toronto and Oakville then Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 1:00 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
Really? On the city of Burlington website, it advertises itself as the best city in the Toronto region. More people in Burlington work in Toronto and Oakville then Hamilton.
Commuting patterns have changed since the Hamilton CMA was first defined, but they probably keep Burlington within it based on the "Historical comparability rule" (see here). But also note that the rules discuss commuting to the "delineation core", so the main comparison is commuting to City of Hamilton vs. the City of Toronto, not the rest of Halton or to Peel.

Following MSA rules, maybe it does belong with Toronto.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 1:07 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Do Hamilton's elite live mostly in Aldershot? The Eastern part of Burlington and Bronte seem to be the area where the Toronto/Sauga and Hamilton spheres overlap.
I think they're distributed in various areas - along the north shore of the harbour, along the Lake Ontario shoreline, and also in north Burlington along/above the escarpment. There is a big overlap with those who come from Toronto these days though.

Within Hamilton, Ancaster is home to many of the "elite", also pockets in Flamborough (near Hwy 8 south of Hwy 5)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Commuting patterns have changed since the Hamilton CMA was first defined, but they probably keep Burlington within it based on the "Historical comparability rule" (see here). But also note that the rules discuss commuting to the "delineation core", so the main comparison is commuting to City of Hamilton vs. the City of Toronto, not the rest of Halton or to Peel.

Following MSA rules, maybe it does belong with Toronto.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

It shocks me that Canada never changes it's CMA's

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 4:50 AM
I am a typical

We add to them, but we can't take away from them, and they can't be merged into another CMA.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Re: CMA designation. It is merely an artifact of a past statistical endeavour, so who cares either way? It does not make a city larger. For all intents and purposes, the city is the same size, regardless of how it is arbitrarily counted. just a silly counting rule, like the rest of them.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 1:21 PM

Burlington would remain in Hamilton cma because 1) most people living in Burlington work in Burlington. 2) nearly half the jobs in Burlington are occupied by people who live in Hamilton.

Hence, as a cma, Most of the people who live in the Hamilton/Burlington cma also work within the cma.

We forget most of the job growth for Hamilton cma has been in Burlington along the QEW the past 30 years. It's not a residential suburb.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 11:41 PM

I can't help but wonder how big our "counties" would be if we were part of the United States, especially in areas like Northern Ontario. The county I live in (Frontenac, in Ontario) is an oblong shape extending over 100km north of Kingston but less than 40km in width from west to east, and the North Frontenac area has little in common with Kingston and nearby areas. Adjacent Lennox & Addington County is even narrower.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 2:55 AM

I thought I read earlier in this thread that Ottawa's CMA would be 1.5 million..I also read a figure of 1.4 million which was bandied around many months ago.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 4:35 AM

.... delete....

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 9:57 PM
ARTchitecture

So no calculation for Calgary or any of the prairie cities? Booo!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 2:54 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So no calculation for Calgary or any of the prairie cities? Booo!
This is the Ontario section.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see this moved to the Canada section.

My Simcity Stuff

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario