HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm assuming the new station, if it's in the same location would have driveways on either side

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I'm assuming the new station, if it's in the same location would have driveways on either side
The Irving station, a temporary arrangement, will be open Tuesday, Sept. 2 at 6am. Access will be from Goudey Drive, just past the current station. The current Petro-Canada site will be remediated, as tanks, etc. are removed.

The permanent site for the new station will be in the same general area.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 4:44 PM

This postcard shows the original garage location. It was a “White Rose” station and located roughly where you now make the left-turn onto the arrivals roadway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:38 PM

An Airbus A380 Air France Flight 006 from CDG to YFK diverted to Halifax Stanfield today.

This is the first time the massive A380 had landed and departed Halifax Stanfield.

Source

Source

Here are some more nice shots taken by twitter user ‏@vy2hf:

Source

Source

Last edited by q12; Sep 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:31 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
An Airbus A380 Air France Flight 006 from CDG to YFK diverted to Halifax Stanfield today.

This is the first time the massive A380 had landed and departed Halifax Stanfield.
Very interesting, thanks for posting this. I didn't know that Stanfield could handle an Airbus A380. I wonder if it would be possible to unload passengers through any of the jet bridges at the terminal?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting this. I didn't know that Stanfield could handle an Airbus A380. I wonder if it would be possible to unload passengers through any of the jet bridges at the terminal?
Stanfield can (well could) land the Space Shuttle, and was named an East Coast Abort Landing Site if the trajectory supported it.

Not wishing any more tragedy, but I'd always secretly hoped one of the shuttles would have landed in Halifax.

Not sure if the Astronauts would unload through a jet bridge or not

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
It looks like the mobile stair could barely handle it.

As I understand these require special bridges to load efficiently, a double-deck arrangement. I doubt ours would work since many aircraft still require passengers to cross the tarmac to get to the terminal - unbelievable for a "world-class" airport.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:11 PM
life in the present

FYI, the flight was diverted because a 58 year old man died on the flight, passengers remained on the plane, it arrived at 3:59pm and departed at 5:31pm for New York according to CBC, rather sad news, more here :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ifax-1.2778086

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It looks like the mobile stair could barely handle it.

As I understand these require special bridges to load efficiently, a double-deck arrangement. I doubt ours would work since many aircraft still require passengers to cross the tarmac to get to the terminal - unbelievable for a "world-class" airport.
Ouch about the death - that's quite sad.

I don't believe any of the gates at YHZ meet the classifications to handle an A380 because of Wing Tip Clearance. Each gate has a classification; so the red box that the plane ends up can ensure that no wing tip clearance issues.

The biggest gate (clearance wise) at YHZ is 24 as that was where the A330 and B777-300 park (A330 was a summer time upgauge of the London Heathrow flight about 5-8 years ago by AC; the 777-300ER typically shows up during winter months when storms cancel flights - they might add one to clear out a huge chunk of backlogged passengers).

Found this presentation about the preparations of Miami airport for the A380 service they have. Quite interesting to see how technical it is in terms of wing clearance issues and always having the runway inspected after an A380 takes off for foreign debris.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 12:35 AM

Apparently a JAL 777 is arriving at YHZ on Saturday with 250 tourists. Not sure what's up with that but a 777 is a pretty rare sight here. Guess it'll be at gate 24.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Apparently a JAL 777 is arriving at YHZ on Saturday with 250 tourists. Not sure what's up with that but a 777 is a pretty rare sight here. Guess it'll be at gate 24.
Looks like Gate 28. This is pretty cool though a Japan Airlines scheduled passenger flight from Toyko to Halifax.

http://planefinder.net/flight/JL8804

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 1:52 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Looks like Gate 28. This is pretty cool though a Japan Airlines scheduled passenger flight from Toyko to Halifax.

http://i62.tinypic.com/33as0oo.jpg
Is this a charter flight or does Japan Airlines have seasonal flights to Halifax?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Is this a charter flight or does Japan Airlines have seasonal flights to Halifax?
Looks like its a charter. It may be a test to see how much demand their might be for seasonal flights.

Here it is on the gate in YHZ:

Source

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 12:11 AM

Further to that....

Japan Airlines lands first-ever flight at Halifax Stanfield International Airport as part of Atlantic Canada tour

http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local...-Canada-tour/1

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Looks like its a charter. It may be a test to see how much demand their might be for seasonal flights.

Source
How frigging cool is that A feather in the cap for Stanfield and the maritimes in general..

Hope it turns into something more. It'd be pretty cool to be able to hop on in Halifax and off in Japan. Even if a very limited or seasonal schedule.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 9:36 PM

It's a good addition; if only for the one time. I think gates 24 and 28 are where the 777's for AC typically park - so perhaps 28 is big enough for an A380? I think it may impact the regional gates though.

I was recently in Yellowknife and found out that Westjet's flight to YZF originates in Vancouver to ensure a prompt connection from a JAL flight from Tokyo. They love going up to see the northern lights and when I got on in Edmonton for the remainder of the flight, about 70% of the flight was Asian tourists. My hotel (the Explorer Hotel) was full of them - so obviously Yellowknife has a good tourist connection. I know the flights to Tokyo out of Calgary (run by AC) are doing very well.

Wasn't there a tourist connection of Japanese folks and Anne of Green Gables? If so - perhaps this was a test flight? Would be awesome to see a seasonal flight if there is enough support for it. Would help boost tourism through the Maritimes I'm sure!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:

Source
That's one hell of a long flight!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 11:19 PM

Here are some great shots posted on Halifax Stanfield's Facebook site:
https://www.facebook.com/hfxstanfield Credit: Mark Roberts Aviation Photography 2014

I would assume JL 8804 and JL 8017 will return next Saturday to Halifax to pick up the tourists.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:15 AM

Westjet announcing daily non-stop flights from Halifax to Glasgow start May 30 and will fly daily until October 24.

Europe Airpost flew direct to Glasgow this summer.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:55 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Westjet announcing daily non-stop flights from Halifax to Glasgow start May 30 and will fly daily until October 24.

Europe Airpost flew direct to Glasgow this summer.
This is exciting news. The flight will originate in Toronto and stop in Halifax to pick up passengers (I guess people from other cities will have the option of boarding in Toronto or Halifax). Based on the Westjet website it will depart Halifax at 10:45 PM (Atlantic time I believe) and land in Glasgow at 8 AM the next day. The flight number will be flight WS 0030 and will be a Boeing 737-700. Here is a write-up about it on the Westjet website - http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...asgow-20141003.

I think this has the potential to be a popular flight (since it starts in Toronto and can draw on a large pool of travellers) and hopefully will lead to other Westjet international flights originating in Toronto (or Calgary) and stopping in Halifax for fuel (I assume) and passengers. It could lead to more passengers making connections in Halifax. Here is an interesting article that provides information showing the fuel advantages of flying smaller, newer 737's versus wide body jets- http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB100...23261677748380. Westjet's orders for the future 737 MAX could make cross Atlantic 737 narrow-body jet travel even more attractive.

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 4, 2014 at 3:09 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure