HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:53 PM

I've only walked by and never actually stuck my head in, but Shelf Life Books (4th St and 13th Ave) seems to carry a relatively conventional selection.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
So does that leave any 'mainstream' bookstore in the beltline?
Not mainstream, but Shelf Life books on 4th (by Boxwood) is an exceptional book store. Great selection and they do lots to support the literary community with readings and what not. Highly recommended!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:21 PM

Unfortunately not many people read these days. And with the e-reader phenomenon, actual paper books are becoming relatively obsolete.

Always meant to check out shelf life, looks like a cool store.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Unfortunately not many people read these days. And with the e-reader phenomenon, actual paper books are becoming relatively obsolete.

Always meant to check out shelf life, looks like a cool store.
This is true. And the decline/closing of independent book stores is all too common. I was quite surprised when Shelf Life opened. Don't see these types of book stores opening, they're usually shutting doors.

Interestingly though, Pages in Kensington is flourishing. A couple months ago, CBC had a little news piece on the few book stores that are still alive across Canada and Pages is apparently doing very well. They also are very community based with readings and events. Hope they stick around for many years to come.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:36 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I think it is just another case of "Adapt or Die." Stores like Pages are probably flourishing because they adapted to a changing market. E-books are going to be cheaper, more convenient and less bulky than regular books and conventional book sales are going to hurt, so you have to do something different and make yourself unique (make the store an experience/place of connection and not just a place to buy books). The same thing happened to video rental shops and NetFlix. It is simply part of a changing world.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I think it is just another case of "Adapt or Die." Stores like Pages are probably flourishing because they adapted to a changing market. E-books are going to be cheaper, more convenient and less bulky than regular books and conventional book sales are going to hurt, so you have to do something different and make yourself unique (make the store an experience/place of connection and not just a place to buy books). The same thing happened to video rental shops and NetFlix. It is simply part of a changing world.
Also: Music stores. On top of that, I was sad, but not especially surprised, to find that the once sizable music section of Indigo is now relegated to a 2'x5' shelf.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Jesus. That's horrible.
Normally I'd agree, but it was a shitty bookstore.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
I never said I cared about shopping there enough to personally know how to spell it.

Still, a city that has internationally recognized stores like that actually gets alot of recognition itself by having those retailers. Often when I look for a specific retailer here in Calgary I find out on their website that we do not in fact have one, but Vancouver, Toronto, they do.

Our high end shopping experience in this city is pretty limited. This X-Mas I actually was looking for alot of higher end stuff and so was a friend of mine and it sort of sucked. Holt had a limited amount of Gucci belts in a smattering of useless sizes sitting in a white painted particle board hanging belt storage unit that looked like it belonged in Walmart. Half of the belts had fallen and were all over the bottom of the thing. The only part of Holt that actually takes care to keep presentation of the products top end and have alot of stock are the brand retail areas around the perimeter of the store.

For Gucci, noone else in the entire of Calgary carries it, so you are left with that dismal shopping experience in the non-brand area of Holt where they probably don't have your size of belt unless you are a dwarf.

There are few cities in North America that have as many people making as much money as they are as Calgary. We have an economy that could support alot of those types of retailers, in fact this city is almost starving for them, we might be smaller then alot of the cities that have those outlets, but we have as much money as some of those cities that already do.
Not wanting to interrupt the book store convo, but this is all plain wrong.

The Holt Renfrew store in Calgary is BY FAR the nicest department store I've ever been in and that includes the BH and 5th Ave Saks stores, Harrods and many others. I can't imagine a "particle board storage unit" there. The selection is a little limited, but I've yet to find them unable to order in an item I wanted. My guess is that you waited to the last minute before Xmas, when it would be obviously picked through and didn't bother to ask any employee about the belts. I left one gift to the last minute and they were able to overnight it from another store for me to arrive on the 23rd! The service is phenomenal and completely refreshing in Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I can't imagine a "particle board storage unit" there.
Go up to the top/mens floor. Go to the south side of that floor where they keep the main selection of belts. Look at the thing those belts are stored in.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 8:37 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Can anyone recommend places to buy mens casual shoes (think leather, but not 'dress shoes'), which are a good mix of quality and price? I am constantly worried in Calgary that I am paying top dollar for bottom quality, and not just for shoes.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 9:59 PM

Believe it or not, Campers Village has a decent selection of men's casual shoes.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Can anyone recommend places to buy mens casual shoes (think leather, but not 'dress shoes'), which are a good mix of quality and price? I am constantly worried in Calgary that I am paying top dollar for bottom quality, and not just for shoes.
SAS across from Chinook (in the mall where BMO is) is where I've been buying shoes recently. The current pair I have from there has lasted almost a year and no sign of wear really aside from the sole, leather is still in quite good condition. The old guy who runs the store knows what he's doing and the shoes are top quality (most are all handmade, all made in the US). I think the ones I have were about $150 and aren't overly dressy. I'm planning on getting a pair of sneakers from there this summer, I was going to earlier but I've completely stopped wearing my sneakers as these other shoes are too comfortable and fit far better.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 12:29 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Thanks for the tips. Basically, not that I would buy shoes from Walmart, but if I pay $150 for a pair I'd like them to wear substantially better than some $25 pair from Walmart, but that said I'm fine with paying $150 if they're worth it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Basically, not that I would buy shoes from Walmart, but if I pay $150 for a pair I'd like them to wear substantially better than some $25 pair from Walmart, but that said I'm fine with paying $150 if they're worth it.
I would say they are. Between me and my wife we've bought I think 4 pairs in the past 2 years and we're still wearing all of them.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:08 PM
Realtor

True Religion Brand Jeans opened today at CrossIron Mills. I had a chance to speak with two of the staff brought out from California to launch this store, and it is very much an outlet. They sound excited to be here sans the snow.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:15 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
True Religion Brand Jeans opened today at CrossIron Mills. I had a chance to speak with two of the staff brought out from California to launch this store, and it is very much an outlet. They sound excited to be here sans the snow.
That's good news! Perfect jeans to match Ed Hardy and Affliction t-shirts!

DOUCHEBAG!

I own a pair of TRB jeans

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
power to the people!

I'm actually quite impressed that this brand is still growing. I've known about them for about eight years and find their aesthetic tacky.

Hey, good for them.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:06 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I see the Forest Lawn No Frills is well underway, in fact the main store appears to be fully built as far as the structure itself, and two smaller buildings adjacent to 17th ave appear to be having their exterior cladding applied.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
I'm actually quite impressed that this brand is still growing. I've known about them for about eight years and find their aesthetic tacky.

Hey, good for them.
Some of it is tacky, but I actually find their Joey cut to be one of the few "flared-bootleg" jeans to actually look decent and masculine.

I definitely don't have the patience nor the desire to buy a pair of raw denim and sleep & shower in it & wear it 24/7 and never wash it and wait for personal creases and fading to appear haha.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
Some of it is tacky, but I actually find their Joey cut to be one of the few "flared-bootleg" jeans to actually look decent and masculine.

I definitely don't have the patience nor the desire to buy a pair of raw denim and sleep & shower in it & wear it 24/7 and never wash it and wait for personal creases and fading to appear haha.
Espy in Inglewood has a great selection of non-douchebag jeans. I'm kind of partial to their Fidelity and some brand that starts with the letter M. Too busy too google it. I used to be a Lee/Levi guy now I just buy all my jeans there.
But they also do a groupon fairly often that's a great deal and the service is amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy