HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Website Manager

What I find odd about the twin tower design for Skye is that one side of both towers will be looking directly over to the other tower, and those units won't have very good views. Considering the size of the development is it smart to have so many units which will have undesirable views? Who would want an apartment on the 40th floor that looks right over to the other tower?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:00 PM

I can't say I really like the design of this building, but from looking at the renderings when placed in with existing buildings I think a development of this magnitude would look great in downtown Halifax. Plus 150m - that'd be a landmark for the entire Atlantic region!

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
What I find odd about the twin tower design for Skye is that one side of both towers will be looking directly over to the other tower, and those units won't have very good views. Considering the size of the development is it smart to have so many units which will have undesirable views? Who would want an apartment on the 40th floor that looks right over to the other tower?
There are horrible views from many units in the Paramount.

I think the 40th floor for all the units, including those facing the other tower, would be fantastic. The towers are slim enough that there will still be plenty of view, especially since the building's design includes large windows for all units.

Aside from having better views than what most units in the Paramount offer -- the rent in Skye will be cheaper. They are aiming for the university student market. And students are poor.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
It is a very constrained site on a small lot partly covered by a severe height restriction. Their options are somewhat limited.

I'm not really sure why they didn't go with a single tower though. The original proposal had one condo tower and one hotel tower. In the new version, both are condo.

I agree with others that it may not be that likely that these will be built, but nobody really knows at this point and it is interesting to watch the proposal play out. I think it's positive that people are debating the merits of a tower of this size. Halifax can be a conservative town and some people like to dismiss opportunities simply because they're new and different. I hope that in the future the city can move away from that and start to look at new development with an open mind.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:10 PM
Honored Member

I see that a wind study has been done for this proposal - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...Assessment.pdf

The case number for the Skye proposal is 17446 and it has a webpage on the halifax.ca site - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case17446Details.html

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:10 AM
we built this city

In 30-40 years those renderings will be the equivalent of the "future Halifax" ones from the 1970's.

These towers will never get built, not to those specs at least.

I wonder after the Waterton debacle if this company will still exist.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:01 AM
BANNED

Though I don't think United Gulf will commit to building Skye Halifax, I'm willing to bet that the proposal will get approved.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Though I don't think United Gulf will commit to building Skye Halifax, I'm willing to bet that the proposal will get approved.
If so, maybe they could sell the development rights? not sure how that works but I bet if it were approved and able to be sold alot of intrest over such a landmark development....

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:54 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I was born in London, England so I tend not to think of any place under 500,000 people as being a city even though the Canadian definition is quite a bit lower than that. When I first moved to Canada, I didn't consider anything under 3 million to be a city so I'm getting better! Halifax is great, but it doesn't have many of the trappings I associate with 'city': a subway system, a range of professional sports, major galleries and museums, outlets by the fashion houses: Louis Vuitton/Burberry/Prada, a stadium, zoo/aquarium, amusement parks, multi-national firms based in the city, etc.
Very true.

Although we don't have some of those things due to all these naysayers! We will eventually have some of those elements that make a city livable!

Just think, we didn't even have Starbucks a few years ago!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:12 PM

Having Starbucks is an improvement? Having two locations of Two if by Sea is what I would consider improvements.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Having Starbucks is an improvement? Having two locations of Two if by Sea is what I would consider improvements.
Well at least we have a Two if by sea located downtown Halifax now.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:16 PM

Here's hoping they flip the land...my opinion, based on the Waterton and this latest scandal. Are there developers in town who have worse reputations right now?

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...use-difficulty

"...In the documents, the couple said they only received $140,000 of the money awarded to them by the court after they applied for and received an execution order against Greater Homes’ assets...

...The applicants alleged that Greater Homes appears to have transferred business and goodwill to a similarly named corporate entity...

Greater Homes Inc., which lists Saeid Saberi as president and director, has the same 380 Bedford Hwy. address as Greater Homes Realty Inc., whose president and director is Saeid’s brother, Navid.

Navid Saberi is the president and director of United Gulf Developments Ltd., which is also located at 380 Bedford Hwy."

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
Here's hoping they flip the land...
Whatever happens I just want it to occur! This empty site, after so many years, is nauseating.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:39 PM

I saw on All NS the other day that there is yet another lawsuit against the Waterton Condo. This time by a couple named Jun Xi and Li Tian. I can only assume it is another breach of contract suit similar to all the others. Saberi lost the last one.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 1:54 AM

I just hope that the company doesn't go bankrupt before the second building is built. Would be a shame to have it sit half finished for a while...

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:27 PM

Greater Homes was forced into bankruptcy this afternoon. The company reportedly did not even send legal representatives to the hearing. Greater Homes' website advertises developments such as The Waterton, The Knolls, Voyageur Lakes, etc. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I would bet Skye Halifax is a no go. I don't care if the brothers say the companies are not related because everyone knows Greater Homes, United Gulf, Waterton, Skye, etc is all the same people.

Done like dinner.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:28 PM

No real surprise here, major disappointment though.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Is Greater Homes Inc. even related to Skye, aside from the fact that one of its owners (I guess) is the brother of Navid Saberi? This was always branded as a United Gulf proposal.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:08 PM

Read this: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...use-difficulty

Quote:
According to the Registry of Joint Stock Companies, Greater Homes Inc., which lists Saeid Saberi as president and director, has the same 380 Bedford Hwy. address as Greater Homes Realty Inc., whose president and director is Saeid’s brother, Navid.

Navid Saberi is the president and director of United Gulf Developments Ltd., which is also located at 380 Bedford Hwy.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Is it possible this could implicate new ownership for the Skye Halifax site, at the very least?

Assuming Skye is dead -- what now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth