HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 3:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

Way Down South in Dixie: Arkansas

Well, this is part 2 of my northeastern Arkansas trip finally, now that I havent lived in the state for 2 months.

I left off in West Memphis, there in very few east central Arkansas, and went north from there. Southeastern Arkansas is primarily black, but once get a little north of West Memphis and into northeastern Arkansas its primarily white, its very strange the transition.

Memphis, along the Mississippi and it was flooding pretty good. This was way back in March.

The tiny crossroads of Clarkdale north of West Memphis in the cottonlands.

The tiny town of Tyronza.

A tiny Baptist church in Tyronza on Sunday morning.

Most small towns in Arkansas have mostly destroyed downtowns, especially in eastern Arkansas but I was surprised to see that the small town of Lepanto had an incredibly well preserved downtown.

Black Oak, which is the home of the semi famous 70s rock band Black Oak Arkansas which is kick ass, the town though, not so much.

Jonesboro, a very cool town, the only semi urban town in eastern Arkansas that is healthy due mostly to Arkansas State University which is located there. It was too bright so I decided to drive and see more small towns and I came back to Jonesboro later that day.

Bono, northwest of Jonesboro.

Walnut Ridge

Back in Jonesboro

More Jonesboro

This was crazy, a mosque in Jonesboro. The entire building was surrounded by barbed wire and the building even had bullet holes all over it from pissed off rednecks.

The imam or whatever they are called invited me in after he saw me taking photos and even payed me 60 bucks to take photos of the interior and exterior for their website, which was awesome.

Woke up the next morning and drove up to Paragould, one of the only towns in eastern Arkansas, along with Jonesboro that gained population in the past ten years.

The nothing town of Lafe on Crowleys Ridge, the only topographically diverse feature in the Mississippi Delta of eastern Arkansas.

Marmaduke

One of the only old buildings left in Greenway, just south of the MO border in extreme northeast Arkansas.

Abandoned house on the outskirts of St. Francis. Missouri is about 2 miles north of the house.

Crowleys Ridge looking out into the delta.

A lot of the architecture in northeast Arkansas looks as though it was influenced by St. Louis architecture, like this building in Coming.

Pocahantas on the edge of the delta region, where the Ozarks meet the delta.

The basically dead town of Black Rock, it looked like they were actively in the process of tearing down or getting ready to tear down all of these buildings.

An incredibly bridge in Black Rock that drops people down onto the delta from the Ozarks.

This incredible courthouse was amazing. I didnt know it was there and the lighting was perfect, I turned around a corner in the road and bam, there it was. The rest of the town is a ghost town but this courthouse remained and is now a state park apparently in the former town of Powhatan.

Strawberry in the eastern Ozark plateau.

The moon rising over a coal fired power plant near Newark.

Another incredible courthouse near Newark.

Newport back in the delta region.

This is where Sam Walton owned his first store a Ben Franklin Store, and look, today the downtown is destroyed and the Walmart on the edge of town is doing just fine.

More Newport destruction.

Newport Courthouse

Harrisburg, further out in the delta region.

This town was also actively tearing down its remaining historic buildings around the town square.

Wynne

Wynne

Augusta

Bald Knob

Midway

I dont remember where this was, somewhere around Searcy getting closer to Little Rock sort of.

Searcy, another rare example of a small eastern Arkansas town that has taken historic preservation to heart and is pretty nice.

Searcy

Searcy

Searcy

West Point, just east of Searcy

Georgetown, the second oldest town in Arkansas, founded in the late 1700s, today, its mostly abandoned.

McRae

Jacksonville, next town is Little Rock.

Back in Little Rock and chilled with the amazing band Little Tybee.

Ive got only 2 more threads left for Arkansas, than Im done with it, but I still need to finish my book, which is almost done.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 4:11 AM

Great pictures. I've noticed Crowley's Ridge on maps and wondered about it. Is it just a long hill that you go up and down, or is it fairly wide as well?

Is there anything commemorating the first Wal-Mart? I know that Sam Walton took over the struggling Ben Franklin 5 & 10 so it's not as cut-and-dry as just starting one store and going from there, but there has to be a beginning to his entrepreneurial journey.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 4:25 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
He moved to Newport from somewhere, I dont remember the exact history but something tells me he moved to there from Tulsa for some strange reason. The Ben Franklin was the first store he ever owned in Newport, he then moved to northwest Arkansas and eventually started Walmart.

Crowleys Ridge is a long linear geologic feature thats mainly composed of sand and what not. Basically what happened is that the Mississippi and other rivers of the region somehow missed Crowleys Ridge and didnt erode it away so therefor its still hilly. Its what the entire region basically looked like before the Mississippi eroded the hills away and deposited the delta sediments. Crowleys Ridge I believe is composed of previous river deposits that subsequently were eroded and thats why its hilly.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 2:53 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Very impressive.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
He moved to Newport from somewhere, I dont remember the exact history but something tells me he moved to there from Tulsa for some strange reason. The Ben Franklin was the first store he ever owned in Newport, he then moved to northwest Arkansas and eventually started Walmart.

Crowleys Ridge is a long linear geologic feature thats mainly composed of sand and what not. Basically what happened is that the Mississippi and other rivers of the region somehow missed Crowleys Ridge and didnt erode it away so therefor its still hilly. Its what the entire region basically looked like before the Mississippi eroded the hills away and deposited the delta sediments. Crowleys Ridge I believe is composed of previous river deposits that subsequently were eroded and thats why its hilly.
Ben Franklin was a small chain of 5 & 10s in northern Arkansas, southwest Missouri, northeast Oklahoma, and a couple in Kansas. I can't remember where the first one was but the chain was struggling when he bought it. He personally flew to each one over and over again in his own little plane and brought each store back from the dead.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:20 PM

The haves/have-nots dynamic in Arkansas is very interesting to me. The small town rural eastern and southern parts of the state are about as dilapidated of a region as I have seen, while northwest Arkansas is booming growing by 33% last decade.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post

Searcy, another rare example of a small eastern Arkansas town that has taken historic preservation to heart and is pretty nice.
Searcy, like Jonesboro, is a college town. Searcy isn't as large as Jonesboro and Harding University isn't as large as Arkansas State University, but there is still that similarity.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Can't witness West Memphis without apprising people of this shocking miscarriage of justice- these young men have been rotting in prison for 17 years now.

www.wm3.org

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 7:49 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Great photos as always. I've been through some of these towns cutting over to I-55 S from the Ozarks...which brings me to the observation that I-55 in Arkansas is one of the strangest, sketchiest, crappiest stretches of interstate i've ever been on - in so far as seeing car fires, massive agricultural fires blackening out the sun, and random objects on the roadway (including pieces of the roadway itself and exposed rebar blowing out peoples tires in front of me).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 8:30 PM

Another great thread. That courthouse shot is awesome. I've never been to Arkansas so I appreciate the work you've put in to show it to the rest of us. A bit sad to see places with character decay while the vanilla 'burbs thrive.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 8:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Arkansas does have the 3rd worst roads in the nation.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 9:17 PM

I really enjoyed this extended Arkansas series. A nice, in-depth look at one of our nations' less-celebrated states.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 9:28 PM
on the south side

Great job Photolitherland.............love these tours.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 12:45 AM

Fascinating mix of southern culture, architecture, grit, and urban decay. Great job!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 1:01 AM

Love this thread. It's nice to see places that seem to want to compete with my town for the oscar in the biggest pothole category. Also, isnt the town of Bald Knob somewhere Bill Clinton would retire to, after rekindling a relationship with Monica? Love the fear of God in that there billboard.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:22 AM
Ex Houstonian

I hated living in Arkansas, I really did, but now that Im back in Houston I kinda miss it strangely enough, not Russellville which sucked massively but I miss driving around the state and seeing all these small towns and the amazing scenery of the state. I would love to live in Little Rock someday. A biggish city in a beautiful but very backward state.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:50 PM
zzzzzzzz

what an amazing set. I definitely appreciate the documentary style you get when you put these shots together. Your book is gonna be pretty impressive to look at.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 11:29 PM

There is a palpable feel to this collection. Great photos, thanks!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 1:02 AM

GREAT thread! I live one block from that Mosque.. Ive come to know the Imam and he is just great, very inviting.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:35 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Really, thats crazy that you live one block from there and I happen upon it and then post it here lol. But yeah, that guy was super nice and he gave me a free dinner imported from Saudi Arabia. Its a shame they have to ensnare the mosque with barbed wire though, but still, I loved Jonesboro from what I saw for the short few hours I was there. It for sure had the most intact downtown and surrounding hoods from any eastern and southern Arkansas town that I had seen, and Ive seen most of em.

Do you go to school there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos