HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

International Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Hong Kong Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Hong Kong Forum   • Hong Kong Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
When is it expected for the core to reach the top? I'll be in HK next year in the beginning of September and I hope to see it topped-out. Is that realistic?
I'd say... no, but I hope that it'll have reached at least level 80.
I was in HK last may, and the core had about 6 or 7 floors, so the current rate would be close to 30 floors every six months.

But we never know if the construction will be steady.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 4:27 PM

Dec 9

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
Unidentified

by Itarilde
Dec 16

The facade is coming...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 10:04 AM
Unidentified

Dec 18

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
Unidentified

In Asian real-estate market, Hong Kong has edge
Office market booms as firms seek space near Chinese cities

By Maura Webber Sadovi
13 December 2006
The Wall Street Journal Asia

Hong Kong's commercial real-estate market is booming again. Glittering modern office towers command dramatic Victoria Harbor views and among the world's richest rents. Some developers are expanding the boundaries of the area's traditional office market and adding new icons to the growing skyline.

Despite increasing competition from Shanghai, many U.S. and multinational companies and financial firms still favor locating their Asian headquarters in Hong Kong, attracted by the cosmopolitan English-speaking region that is home to some seven million people just southeast of mainland China. As investor interest in China has intensified, Hong Kong has drawn many bankers, lawyers, accountants and other businesspeople because of its proximity to China and a hospitable living environment offering amenities such as international schools.

"Hong Kong is a leaping-off point for China," says Andrew Ness, executive director of research for CB Richard Ellis Group Inc. in Asia. "It's a good place to marshal your forces."

One large project under way: Hong Kong-based Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd.'s 118-story tower, to be called the International Commerce Centre, in Kowloon, across the harbor from Hong Kong's core central-business district. The tower will include both office and hotel space.

For now at least, the strength of Hong Kong's real-estate market appears to put to rest a long-simmering question -- whether Hong Kong will be overshadowed by other cities in Asia. Many analysts say the region's legacy, as a former British colony that became a special administrative region of China in 1997, still gives Hong Kong an edge as a center of commerce.

The good times come just three years after the region's economy was in the doldrums after being battered by the Asian financial crisis of the late 1990s, the tech bust and the severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreak in 2003, according to Moody's Economy.com. Since 2004, employment levels have been on the rise and insatiable investor interest in Asia has helped the Hong Kong region's economy come roaring back, sending the Hang Seng Index to records in November.

New office supply is expected to provide some relief to tenants who have seen stiff increases recently in prime rents. After dropping out of the list of the 10 most expensive office-space markets from mid-2002 to mid-2005, as ranked by CB Richard Ellis, Hong Kong was the fifth most-expensive out of 176 markets in major cities world-wide, according to a survey released in November. London's West End and Tokyo's Inner Central area were the first and second priciest, respectively. The estimated cost to occupy prime space in Hong Kong was US$116.25 per square foot annually, a figure that includes rent, local taxes and service charges.

Still, the region's high prices put off some investors. Hong Kong was ranked 15 out of 19 Asian-Pacific cities in terms of prospects for commercial real-estate development and investment, based on a survey conducted between June and August of 175 real-estate experts including lenders, investors and developers by the Urban Land Institute and accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers. While Hong Kong is a favorite target for first-time investors in Asian-Pacific real estate, the ranking could reflect concern that the market is overpriced, says Stephen Blank, a senior resident at the Urban Land Institute.

Indeed, Hong Kong's share of the growing direct commercial investments flowing into the Asian-Pacific region shrank to 10% in the first half of 2006 from 17% in the year-earlier period, according to a recent study by real-estate services firm Jones Lang LaSalle.

Still, Guy Hollis, international director in the Asian-Pacific region with Jones Lang LaSalle's International Capital Group, believes Hong Kong will continue to be a go-to city in Asia, just as the U.S. boasts gateway cities such as Chicago and New York. Mr. Hollis says investor demand for property there will remain strong, though Hong Kong's transaction levels are constrained because many of its building owners are long-term holders of property. "If I had a couple buildings to sell in Hong Kong," he says, "I could sell them."

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 10:48 AM

Dec 24

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 7:20 PM

And to think what it would have been if the very original proposals would have been built... What a great silver bullet Kowloon has dodged.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
And to think what it would have been if the very original proposals would have been built... What a great silver bullet Kowloon has dodged.
You mean the angular design by SOM ?
It was not feasible according to some rumours.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
You mean the angular design by SOM ?
It was not feasible according to some rumours.
No, the original 80's indiscriminate 400' or so boxes.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 9:14 AM

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:51 AM

Dec 31.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 10:46 PM
fried white rice

Has anyone got an idea about when the core will reach its full height? I'll be in HK in August/September and hope to see this beauty in full height. Am I expecting too much or not? :|

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Has anyone got an idea about when the core will reach its full height? I'll be in HK in August/September and hope to see this beauty in full height. Am I expecting too much or not? :|
I think that was answered after your last post

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:49 PM
fried white rice

Oh yeah, sorry for asking same question again, I'm so excited about this building

I was doing some calculations and it seems it will be really hard to expect what I want. Anyway it will be somewhere not too far.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:54 AM

I heard that this building will be completed in phases with the first phase completing towards the end of this year. How does this work? Can tenants really occupy the lower floors while there is construction directly above and around the site?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propertyman View Post
I heard that this building will be completed in phases with the first phase completing towards the end of this year. How does this work? Can tenants really occupy the lower floors while there is construction directly above and around the site?
I think it's been done before (Eureka in Melbourne, to name one, was occupied before the tower was topped out).
I guess that phasing the construction makes it substantially slower.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 10:36 AM

Or are you talking about this building as Phase 7 of the Union Square project?
If so, then you're right - in fact, some of the phases are already complete (and occupied?) - namely The Sorrento, The Harbourside and The Arch.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:19 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Why is it taking so long?

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 2:32 AM

I was referring to the phased completion of the large office tower (Phase 7? ICC?). Would any company actually move into the lower floors of the incomplete tower given the higher risks from falling objects, fire, water, etc. from above. Not to mention the disruption from the construction traffic all around.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 7:49 AM

Jan 4

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive