HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Rouses Market proposes a grocery on Freret Street
https://www.nola.com/eat-drink/2018/...et-street.html
THIS IS BEST NEWS IN YEARS! Everything I-10 to river is crazy under-served with Grocery's. Broadmoor has no options, either drive all the way to the river, downtown or mid-city. This is going to be a huge success if neighborhood is all good with it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 6:45 AM

The new plan for Duncan Plaza looks great. Love that a dog park is included. Nice amenity for the many new residents living around there now.

Agreed on the parking garage, would love to see that space used for something else. Also surprised a hotel hasn't occupied the building on the downriver side of the park yet unless there are structural issues I don't know about.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 1:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The new plan for Duncan Plaza looks great. Love that a dog park is included. Nice amenity for the many new residents living around there now.

Agreed on the parking garage, would love to see that space used for something else. Also surprised a hotel hasn't occupied the building on the downriver side of the park yet unless there are structural issues I don't know about.
I have personally been trying to get the warwick hotel for five years.... the guy wont sell for a reasonabke price.. real shame

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
you hope it delays it?

well I think City Hall expansion and modification of existing space is best path forward and let civil court move to somewhere else completely and move council chambers to where civil court is currently or bull doze it and expand duncan plaza so it fronts poydras and connexts to champions square superdome.. ..they could also easily tear down that ugly garage on lasalle between the street and the park and build something new there
Bahaha not at all, as few delays as possible. My bad for the typo.

I am however for the preservation of the City Hall/Civil Court buildings as they are exemplary structures of Modernist architecture - not the interiors of course. Renovations and exterior maintenance are necessary.

And that's an interesting idea of demo'ing the garage(s) and connecting champoins square. Those kind of civic/place-making interventions are what we need more of in this city.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 7:05 PM

Thought some of you might enjoy this visualization of population density by Census tract. We have a lot of development in the CBD, Mid-City, Gentilly, 9th Ward, and Broadmoor that should make the core of the city more uniformly dense in the coming years.
https://www.socialexplorer.com/8fd6bf3bbe/view

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
I have personally been trying to get the warwick hotel for five years.... the guy wont sell for a reasonabke price.. real shame
That is a damn shame. I've never understood the philosophy of holding onto a property and paying taxes on it while it is generating zero income.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 2:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
That is a damn shame. I've never understood the philosophy of holding onto a property and paying taxes on it while it is generating zero income.
Its bizarre i agree

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 3:14 PM

Not being a developer myself, I wonder how New Orleans compares to most cities in that respect. Seems like there are a lot of property owners unwilling to sell or improve their property despite high demand for housing and hotel space. Maybe there needs to be a change in the way property taxes are calculated for unused space - if the tax is too low compared to improved property, that would encourage holding out. Perhaps if the state amendment to phase in property tax increases passes, that may encourage renovations.

That being said, anecdotally I am seeing a lot more rundown or unoccupied houses being renovated in what I'd call the moderate demand areas of town, like Midcity, Broadmoor, and Central city. Some of those I know had been cited for blight, so maybe the change in administration brought more enforcement on that front.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Not being a developer myself, I wonder how New Orleans compares to most cities in that respect. Seems like there are a lot of property owners unwilling to sell or improve their property despite high demand for housing and hotel space.
I live in a northern city after reluctantly leaving NO.

I think what you are questioning is a problem all over. There is a large building near me that has been vacant for years. The owner lives in California, and seems to have no issue with paying property taxes with no property income. What's more, the building is losing value, and has little prospect of gaining value in the future.

Some owners evidently have more money to waste than I do.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:01 PM
TL;DR

Developers are (mostly) rational actors. Maybe there was a time when historic buildings were just blindly assumed to be worthless, but that ain’t the case today. If you see an old building sitting empty, it’s often because
A) building and zoning codes make it too expensive or impossible to repurpose, and/or
B) the expected income from the building cannot support the cost of renovation.

At that point, you can either sell the property for a pittance to someone else, or sit on it and wait for better conditions while paying the carrying costs (taxes, security, maintenance). Most jurisdictions will reduce the tax rate if the owner can prove the property was vacant and unused.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 5:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I live in a northern city after reluctantly leaving NO.

I think what you are questioning is a problem all over. There is a large building near me that has been vacant for years. The owner lives in California, and seems to have no issue with paying property taxes with no property income. What's more, the building is losing value, and has little prospect of gaining value in the future.

Some owners evidently have more money to waste than I do.
well taking a loss on real estate and with depreciation expensing can be beneficial to some on their income taxes... last i heard the guy was looking for about 12 million for the warwick hotel... which is alot considering the awful condition its currently in.. the building would probably qualify for some tax credits like historic and tax abatement but still its pricey... and the bones of the building arent good (low ceilings and awkward layout) things not easy if at all to rectify.. so its all about price at that point ... also another very common reason for major to small buildings in prime locations to sit empty and derelict for a while are succession issues ,someone dies and getting all the heirs on the same page to sell is nearly impossible... ive been working on this one property for close to a year now having this very issue.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:34 PM
NOLA Razorback

WWII canopy

Just got home and saw they’re finally adding a new piece to the canopy!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Just got home and saw they’re finally adding a new piece to the canopy!
thanks for letting us know and i guess its good news it hasnt been taken down yet

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 30, 2018 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:50 PM
-

pic of some of the arrivals area

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 8:35 PM
-

12550 Old Gentilly Rd·New Construction · Ref Code: EE31CN
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Benjamin Chadwick
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/25/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Interior Build-out for for power producing plant in michoud. This application is in conjunction with the building shell and foundation permit #18-23813-NEWC Entery New Orleans Building Shell and Foundation Permits. The interior build out is a mixed us business/storage/Industrial use space.

2000 Tulane Ave·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA No. 18-62 · Ref Code: Q5276X
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
Lsu Health Science Center Foundation
Draft Application
Date Filed:
10/26/2018
Closed:
No
Description
The applicant is appealing partial renovation of an existing structure located on Tulane Ave. just outside of the Central Business District. The first floor of the existing structure is currently being used for parking, and the upper floors are offices.

1601 Tchoupitoulas St·New Construction · Ref Code: DT80VU
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Jared Ducote
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/26/2018
Closed:
No
Description
The Work consists of a new, 3-story, freestanding self-storage facility (containing approximately 141,483 SF conditioned space total), and associated site improvements.

djsnola
1226 S White St·New Construction · Ref Code: 42AYWS
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Joanne Close
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/30/2018
Closed:
No
Description
New Construction of a 1,900 sq/ft retail/bar establishment

djsnola
4557 N Rampart St·New Construction · Ref Code: DW2TYE
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Delaney Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/30/2018
Closed:
No
Description
We seek to place a 1400 square foot school house on our property adjacent to our sculpture park and venue the Music Box Village. It is a historic structure currently located on the Carolloton Court House property on Carolloton st. uptown. It will be delivered to our property in at least two if not more sections. We will then work with a shoring company to create new piers, replace sills and make any other structural repairs necessary. The interior of the structure will have a minor remodel. The exterior will be repaired in keeping with HDLC approved guidelines.

3507 Tchoupitoulas St·Design Review · Project #DR162-18 · Ref Code: GMT1TM
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Peter A Gendel
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
10/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Design review for a full renovation of a residence into a restaurant in an HU-MU District and an EC Design Overlay.

900 Valence St, 4637 Magazine St, 4639 Magazine St·Design Review · Project #DR165-18 · Ref Code: PSTZV1
Download (17) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Mark I Baum
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
10/26/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Design Review application for facade modifications and minor site work to include but not limited to dumpster relocation & striping of the parking lot for an existing commercial development in a HU-B1 District and a CPC Design Overlay District.

1001 Julia St, Suite 7·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: EW4S11
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Sabri Farouki
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/26/2018
Closed:
No
Description
THE PROJECT IS A RESTAURANT TENANT FIT-OUT IN AN EXISTING COMMERCIAL COLD DARK SHELL SPACE. THE PROJECT MAKES NO CHANGES TO THE EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING. THE PROJECT MAKES NO CHANGES TO THE EXISTING SHELL SPACE FIRE BARRIERS.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 30, 2018 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:31 PM
-

Canopy of Peace

Just an FYI heres the next steps in the construction of the Canopy of Peace:

STep 8 is just completed

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:42 PM
-

Quote:
Just an FYI heres the next steps in the construction of the Canopy of Peace:

STep 8 is just completed

Funny enough i was driving west on interstate in laplace just now and saw more canopy pieces headed towards nola

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:56 PM
-

Nice to see this eyesore block is finally being demolished and gutted:

2424 Tulane:

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:59 PM
-

Gravier Apartments

New Apartments going into old school on Gravier:

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:55 PM

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, but do we know what is going to replace this eyesore on Tulane? I live not even two blocks from it so I am dying to know!

[QUOTE=tennis1400;8364253]Nice to see this eyesore block is finally being demolished and gutted:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations