HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I don't think it will. He is a very humble person. He is as honest a man as you will ever find. The good news is we can rest soundly knowing that there will be no backdoor deals or anything negative happening behind doors.

This may not mean anything to a lot of people, but he is a devout Christian, in that he follows the principles of Christianity very strongly. To the point where he and a few other officers have a prayer group within the service. They have all committed to praying in a group before each shift.

Like I said, it may not mean anything to some, but just be rest assured that his faith is what allows him to be such an honest, outstanding citizen. A better chief could not have been found.
I'm sorry Chris, but this is a load of crap. Anyone who blindly follows Canada's archaic prohibition laws is nowhere near an "honest, outstanding" citizen.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:24 PM
the first stamp is free

The Christian stuff about the new Chief is pretty meh to me. I mean good for him, but that's not how I live my life.

An honest person is honest, period. They don't need to hide behind religion or any else for that matter.

I consider myself to be fair and honest, and I obviously hope the same for our new Chief. The fact he is a devout Christian or has prayer circles doesn't make him any better in my eyes. If anything, it would make me a little more suspicious. Everything in moderation, as they say...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:32 PM
BANNED

and the lord said "ban this plant so big pharma can continue to rake in billions of profit on addictive and damaging drugs like oxycontin"

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I'm sorry Chris, but this is a load of crap. Anyone who blindly follows Canada's archaic prohibition laws is nowhere near an "honest, outstanding" citizen.
Prohibition?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Prohibition?
drug laws.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Christian stuff about the new Chief is pretty meh to me. I mean good for him, but that's not how I live my life.
That is what I figured for most people. And that is how it should be. I am not trying to push anything on people, but there are a few forumers out there who I know for a fact are Christians, and they would be comforted by this.

I am not trying to start a Religious debate here, I just figured that for those who are Christians this would be comforting. As it is for me, I know him as an outstanding Christian individual.

His being a Christian is comforting to me as a Christian. If he was Islamic, Jewish, or Atheist and still an outstanding citizen I wouldn't look at him as any different. Why? Because people of all races and religions share the same morals, or at least they should. However, because of his beliefs I simply understand why it is he does the things he does, or why he thinks the way he thinks. That is all.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
drug laws.
Lol, I am still confused though. Christians aren't necessarily against or for any drug laws. There is only one global definition for a Christian that fits the bill. That is someone who believes in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

There is no pre-requisite saying that you have to believe in prohibition. In fact some Christians are Hardened Criminals who deal drugs. I for one am for the legalization of marijuana. I understand that society would be much better if certain substances - which have a negative impact from the streets - were transferred to the shelves of stores, and distributed with the same guidelines that we distribute alcohol and cigarettes.

I don't do drugs, but I will never judge someone who does.

It is statements like the one above, or the video above that make me say that I am not religious at all. I just believe something.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:51 PM
BANNED

how is it moral to help imprison thousands of poor and sick people and give them things like mandatory minimums and criminal records (both extremely detrimental to any hope they may have to live positive, healthy lives) for possessing a plant?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
how is it moral to help imprison thousands of poor and sick people and give them things like mandatory minimums and criminal records (both extremely detrimental to any hope they may have to live positive, healthy lives) for possessing a plant?
Who has done that? I am confused by what you are saying. I just said that I am not against legalizing marijuana, and Devon Klunis isn't necessarily against it either. In fact I don't know where he stands on that matter. Prohibition has nothing to do with being a Christian.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Who has done that? I am confused by what you are saying. I just said that I am not against legalizing marijuana, and Devon Klunis isn't necessarily against it either. In fact I don't know where he stands on that matter. Prohibition has nothing to do with being a Christian.
I'm not talking about Christianity, I'm talking about Devon Klunis. you just mentioned that he was an honest, outstanding citizen with morals which, based on what he does, I don't think is true. Someone who is honest with the public and themselves about the negative effects of drug prohibition would have made a much better chief, imo. I don't think that person exists within the police force unfortunately. If there is, iwouls love for them to speak up.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about Christianity, I'm talking about Devon Klunis. you just mentioned that he was an honest, outstanding citizen with morals which, based on what he does, I don't think is true. Someone who is honest with the public and themselves about the negative effects of drug prohibition would have made a much better chief, imo. I don't think that person exists within the police force unfortunately. If there is, iwouls love for them to speak up.
I am so confused by what you're saying.

The bolded part outlines that no one really knows where Devon stands with his policy yet. He himself has declared that he hasn't created a firm outline for the force yet. He said he will only do so once talking to the public and his front liners. And I believe he will do so.

I have yet to hear him make a stance or even bring up prohibition in any statement he has made. Or is this you saying that you are against the police force and "authority" in general.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I take you like the herb a little bit.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I am so confused by what you're saying.

The bolded part outlines that no one really knows where Devon stands with his policy yet. He himself has declared that he hasn't created a firm outline for the force yet. He said he will only do so once talking to the public and his front liners. And I believe he will do so.

I have yet to hear him make a stance or even bring up prohibition in any statement he has made. Or is this you saying that you are against the police force and "authority" in general.
I disagree with any authority that continues to enforce immoral and regressive laws. Klunis hasn't had the courage to speak out against them (if he is even agaisnt them), I don't really expect him to start now.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 9:19 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
This may not mean anything to a lot of people, but he is a devout Christian, in that he follows the principles of Christianity very strongly. To the point where he and a few other officers have a prayer group within the service. They have all committed to praying in a group before each shift.
Well this isn't a selling point to me. I find people who are very religious to be very difficult to reason with rationally, and potentially annoying. He, like everyone else is entitled to religious freedom under the charter, but I hope we don't see him years down the line running for the Conservatives and trying to outlaw abortions and acting all mental like many religious people do.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 10:55 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
His being a Christian is comforting to me as a Christian. If he was Islamic, Jewish, or Atheist and still an outstanding citizen I wouldn't look at him as any different.
But you just singled out that you look at him differently as a Christian. You wouldn't have said his religious beliefs are comforting if he didn't share yours. You would still consider him outstanding, and by your description he sounds admirable, but would the idea of him comfort you if he believed in a different religion or no religion at all?

Quote:
What are his opinions on the legalization of marijuana?

Many officers support it. Does he?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
I disagree with any authority that continues to enforce immoral and regressive laws. Klunis hasn't had the courage to speak out against them (if he is even agaisnt them), I don't really expect him to start now.
I can honestly say I don't agree with your stance on drugs, but there's no point in us arguing about that because I know that we'll just argue until the cows come home and neither of us will change our opinion.

But you have to understand that the police are the police, not the law makers. Police are there to enforce the law that's already in place, not make or change laws themselves. I understand what you're saying, but change like that isn't made through the police service, it's made through politics. As we all know, Winnipeg is a violent city. Future-Chief Clunis will have a lot on his plate as it is, and political activist isn't part of his job description.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:34 PM

As long as he does a good job

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
As long as he does a good job
I am extremely positive that he will do a great job. He is a wonderful man in many ways.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
I can honestly say I don't agree with your stance on drugs, but there's no point in us arguing about that because I know that we'll just argue until the cows come home and neither of us will change our opinion.

But you have to understand that the police are the police, not the law makers. Police are there to enforce the law that's already in place, not make or change laws themselves. I understand what you're saying, but change like that isn't made through the police service, it's made through politics. As we all know, Winnipeg is a violent city. Future-Chief Clunis will have a lot on his plate as it is, and political activist isn't part of his job description.
There is nothing wrong with a police officer advocating for something that will make their job easier, especially when it is a law that they see, first hand, is not working as intended. There is a reason so many police officers oppose marijuana laws.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan