HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 10:17 PM

Raleigh North from perimeter to Knowles Ave

A family member recently bought a house close to the corner of Knowles and Raleigh. He was told that they are to close Raleigh south, yet Raleigh North will remain open from the perimeter to Knowles Ave. Why didn't they close all of Raleigh? What purpose will it serve to leave this section of Raleigh open. I have to wonder if traffic will increase on Raleigh (north)? Will the people of Raleigh South use this street to access their area once the street is closed from Knowles Ave on? If anyone can answer I would appreciate knowing. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri&w View Post
A family member recently bought a house close to the corner of Knowles and Raleigh. He was told that they are to close Raleigh south, yet Raleigh North will remain open from the perimeter to Knowles Ave. Why didn't they close all of Raleigh? What purpose will it serve to leave this section of Raleigh open. I have to wonder if traffic will increase on Raleigh (north)? Will the people of Raleigh South use this street to access their area once the street is closed from Knowles Ave on? If anyone can answer I would appreciate knowing. Thanks.
Which city is this?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:49 AM

^ Winnipeg

Sorry I don't know that area well so I can't really comment

It might have to do with CPT extension work or the new interchange by the PTH

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 2:19 AM

Thank you and sorry, I should have been more specific, I am writing about the proposed closure on Raleigh St in North Kildonan area, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 2:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cheif peguis trail its the street with the rail line thats been turned into a trail

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 2:24 AM

I think some of the trail is already there, but Raleigh south still hasn't been closed. If they are planning to do so, why not close all of Raleigh instead of leaving a small section opened and running from the perimeter to Knowles?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 2:30 AM

ah so it is to do with the Peguis extention...

dorri&w, perhaps it might have to do with traffic flow? Again I don't know that area so I can't say why, but might it redirect traffic flow or make it better somehow?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 2:45 AM

My family member is concerned that it may increase traffic on the little open section of Raleigh. Could they be using that as a little detour from the perimeter to get on to Gateway? For instance if Raleigh will only go as far as Knowles, then drivers are going to have to make a turn either on Knowles or Gateway. Also heard they are supposed to install Trafic lights on one of those intersections?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 3:26 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Lots of info here:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...efPeguisTrail/

I've called City project managers before with concerns on other projects and have always has cordial, pleasant conversations.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 3:33 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

From what I can tell, the city for the long term, wanted to focus all traffic onto Gateway, rather than Raleigh. The ongoing CPT project makes sure that most traffic is focused on Gateway around that part of the area.

From time to time, I use that stretch of Raleigh from the perimeter, but with the CPT extension going on, it forces us motorists to go on Gateway, making Raleigh north of CPT nearly redundant, while trying to fill in an otherwise weak supplemental role towards Gateway. Ever since they removed the tracks, it was being like that, and both Raleigh and Gateway existed, BECAUSE of the rail line that was there before.

I understand where you're coming from though, and it is a bit annoying to "cross over" from one side to the other in order to continue onto where we need to go. However, I have a feeling that what used to be tracks may end up being a future LRT line. We'll have to wait and see.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 3:39 AM
Back from the dead

Take heart : The city and the province are working on closing all at-grade access to the Perimeter in the near future (not including arterials that intersect the Perimeter as those are for future interchanges of course) As far as I know they've targeted at least 6 points for now but they'll undoubtedly increase the number as traffic and cash allow . Don't know when or even if Raleigh has been selected for the near future but sooner or later it'll happen . I presume that as soon as the new interchange is complete at Lag and the Perimeter , Raleigh will be cut off .

Otherwise , I wouldn't worry about traffic . Actually , at the very least you can rest assured that traffic counts will go down considerably along Raleigh at the Perimeter . To my knowledge , traffic is already pretty low there anyway so now with the majority of traffic collection cut off at the new CPT , there'll be that much less .

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 4:41 AM

^ Really? That's great news

PTH needs some sprucing up and thats exactly where one would wanna start. At least 6 points eh?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 5:05 AM

Just a thought, but what will become of Raleigh once closed? Will it become a backlane for those who have properties with driveways facing Raleigh? At present the garbage is picked up at the front of the property? Also once closed what can the street area be used for, a future greenspace or is there enough room to put a strip of condo's facing Gateway?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 5:54 AM

Uh, Raleigh north of Knowles connects to De Vries. Yes, there is Perimeter Hwy access from De Vries but it is planned to close that access. The only section of Raleigh planned for closure right now is from Donwood to Gilmore.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:30 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
^ Really? That's great news

PTH needs some sprucing up and thats exactly where one would wanna start. At least 6 points eh?
Yeah , that's what I recall in a hazy , fuzzy , not-sure-how-many-T3s-the-doctor-said-I-was-supposed-to-limit-myself-to kinda way but I could be wrong .

Definitely read that they're working on it anyway . I may be off on the number they set for the near future but either way it's in the works .
Bear in mind though that these six points I vaguely recall reading about are not necessarily bisecting streets but our super-cheap-out version of access ramps . A lot of them may only connect to the service roads that occasionally line 100/101. Better than nothing and it does indicate that the province is actually trying to make the highway safer by turning it into a true limited access corridor .

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Uh, Raleigh north of Knowles connects to De Vries. Yes, there is Perimeter Hwy access from De Vries but it is planned to close that access. The only section of Raleigh planned for closure right now is from Donwood to Gilmore.
Raleigh will be closed from Algonquin Ave (just north of McIvor) to Knowles. The idea is that as mentioned above, Gateway will be the main thoroughfare. They are going to try and save some money by utilizing the roadbed from Raleigh as the new extension of the Northeast Pioneers Greenway (walkway). That way they don't need to pave a new walkway to Knowles. By eliminating Raleigh they finally get rid of a couple of those stupid double intersections of Raleigh/Gateway and the cross streets.

There shouldn't be any more traffic on Raleigh north of Knowles because (as mentioned they are closing the access of DeVries to the Perimeter in the near future) and there is no reason for traffic to increase there anyways. Why would it. All traffic in that stretch will be unaffected. Instead of having two streets funnel onto that stretch of Raleigh now you will only have one.

The only downside that i can see is that you will have to switch over to Gateway once at Knowles.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Yeah , that's what I recall in a hazy , fuzzy , not-sure-how-many-T3s-the-doctor-said-I-was-supposed-to-limit-myself-to kinda way but I could be wrong .

Definitely read that they're working on it anyway . I may be off on the number they set for the near future but either way it's in the works .
Bear in mind though that these six points I vaguely recall reading about are not necessarily bisecting streets but our super-cheap-out version of access ramps . A lot of them may only connect to the service roads that occasionally line 100/101. Better than nothing and it does indicate that the province is actually trying to make the highway safer by turning it into a true limited access corridor .

Haha..still good to know spocket, thanks. A true limited access corridor is miles better than what we currently have, and yes much safer

Side Q - how do u always know so much about Winnipeg for someone living in China?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Raleigh will be closed from Algonquin Ave (just north of McIvor) to Knowles. The idea is that as mentioned above, Gateway will be the main thoroughfare. They are going to try and save some money by utilizing the roadbed from Raleigh as the new extension of the Northeast Pioneers Greenway (walkway). That way they don't need to pave a new walkway to Knowles. By eliminating Raleigh they finally get rid of a couple of those stupid double intersections of Raleigh/Gateway and the cross streets.
I thought I'd read that somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 6:24 PM
What could go wrong?

The signs are up now mentioning the closure.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:06 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Haha..still good to know spocket, thanks. A true limited access corridor is miles better than what we currently have, and yes much safer

Side Q - how do u always know so much about Winnipeg for someone living in China?
The ghost of Steven Juba speaks to me through messages in my fortune cookies . It's even stranger considering the Chinese have no clue what a fortune cookie is or where you could buy one anyway .

Honestly though , I just try to keep up with what's going on . It's in the news , comes up here , and from time to time I check out the minutes from council meetings .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan