HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya at some point Peguis will be 4 lanes if not 6 in the future. All the new residential back in that area will need access to their Costco, Wal-Mart, etc.

Seeing as how the new Shindico development on Reenders will be going ahead soon and the new residential behind Costco looks to be getting off the ground (topsoil was scraped and stockpiled in the fall), I would think something needs to be done with Peguis within the next year or two.
I don't know what the last 5 posts had to do with the Thomas COW yards, but to add to the confusion, I'll add this; Shindico's Kildonan Mile is just a brain fart in the mind of Sandy. as stated in a prior thread, there is a little known Jewish cemetery that is situated behind Almey Ave. that will put the kybosch on the whole deal and Sandy will end up with his pajoggon in the wringer with the Jewish ancestors.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=49.89979...04136&t=h&z=18

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
I don't know what the last 5 posts had to do with the Thomas COW yards, but to add to the confusion, I'll add this; Shindico's Kildonan Mile is just a brain fart in the mind of Sandy. as stated in a prior thread, there is a little known Jewish cemetery that is situated behind Almey Ave. that will put the kybosch on the whole deal and Sandy will end up with his pajoggon in the wringer with the Jewish ancestors.

Ya started on topic with ESP going through the current East yards site, but got off topic.

PS If you haven't noticed, I'm new to the site and haven't been up to speed on all the previous threads and probably never will as there's thousands of posts.. My apologies.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 1:47 PM

Drove by on Mission St. yesterday and got to see the size of the works yard from that view. I did not realize that it was going to be that big. I knew the building was going to be big but looking at the lot lighting they have a fair amount of land for parking / storage / etc.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 1:56 PM

Quote:

Looking at the images on Shindico's web page it looks like they are building around the cemetery. There is a small retail unit in front of a undeveloped area which looks like it matches up with the cemetery on the Google map.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:05 PM

Does anybody know if the City bridge yard is going to coming to the East yard when they move out of Transcona? There are piles of metal in there that is either going to have to be moved or send out to the scrap yard. Its parts of old bridges, guard rails and support posts etc.

There is (was) even 2 temporary rail bridges they bought for the CN mainline overpass upgrade when the Main St. bridge was built sitting in there.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Looking at the images on Shindico's web page it looks like they are building around the cemetery. There is a small retail unit in front of a undeveloped area which looks like it matches up with the cemetery on the Google map.
Ya makes perfect sense. Also there were Shindico "for lease" signs up at the site for a while. They are gone now. So either it's dead or its a go. And since they've updated the brochures with the "Kildonan Mile" name seems to lead that it's a go.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:23 PM

I am guessing that this yard must be starting to open as I was on Archibald a few days ago and see that the Park's dept yard next to the Bonvital pool is vacated. They were going to be one of the small yards moving into the new east yard.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 4:51 PM

For some reason this building is not being occupied the way it was intended. Departments seem reluctant to move in for one reason or other. Yard space seems to be at a premium, as well as, security of equipment and parts.

Apparently, this location has been on the back burner for development since the '90's. Kent Rd. was widen to almost twice a before and everyone wondered why. With Kent being the major roadway into the property and Keenlyside and Chester being the secondary roadways. Even the City has downfalls in their planning, someone forgot to put the required wiring in the pavement for the turning lanes on and off Nairn, consequently, we have a few more potholes.

The nice thing that I like about this property is the fact that there is a 14 acre wet cell and a 24 acre overload dry cell that controls the water that comes off of this property. All rainwater off the building roofs, parking lots and surface areas is directed into surface water retention ponds via a self-contained sewer system that empties to the west side of the property. As previously stated, the two ponds would make an excellent trout pond for senior's fishing or supervised fishing for kids. Anyone interested in getting behind a project?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 12:48 AM

I know nothing about fishing, but would there be water quality problems for stocking fish, with the runoff containing oils, etc, from the heavy equipment and the salt storage compound?

There are supposedly some soil contamination problems at the yard they will be selling on Plessis Rd. from the salt etc.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
I know nothing about fishing, but would there be water quality problems for stocking fish, with the runoff containing oils, etc, from the heavy equipment and the salt storage compound?

There are supposedly some soil contamination problems at the yard they will be selling on Plessis Rd. from the salt etc.
You would think that the City would learn from its past mistakes and put a diaper under there salt (potash) pile to prevent it leaching into the soil. The garage portion has grease and oil collection pits that keeps the oil out of the water.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 7:04 PM

Was down on Watt St. today and noticed that the Parks and Rec yard is now barren. They must have moved in the last week or so as I am sure I still saw equipment there in Oct.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 6:22 PM

I haven't noticed a rush of moving trucks backed up to the front doors as yet. They must be loosing some of the dead weight of old and out-dated equipment as well as seasonal employees. I would imagine this is going to be a slow move-in process.

Parking lot is sparse at the new building but then it could be the holiday.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:44 PM

Anyone know of an Official Opening date of the new service building? Would like to get inside and have a look around to see what the people's taxes paid for.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:24 PM

^Not sure. But I've driven down Ravelston by the old yard during the height of the recent snow clearing and didn't see ANY vehicles there. I think the fuel pumps are still being used, but the yard looked deserted. No personal vehicles or equipment. Maybe they've made the move?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:04 PM

they've deserted the Archibald site too

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:31 PM

http://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr...20140303.stm#2

City of Winnipeg officially opens East Yard complex

New facility enables more efficient and cost effective service delivery

Released: 10:32 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – In order to provide more efficient, green and cost effective services to Winnipeg citizens, Mayor Sam Katz and City Councillors Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan) and Thomas Steen (Elmwood-East Kildonan) officially opened the City’s new East Yard complex today. The new facility, located in the Elmwood area, combines the operations of several Public Works Department divisions and a new Winnipeg Fleet Management Agency facility into one location.

Completed on time and on budget, the East Yard complex now houses Streets Maintenance East Area, Parks & Open Space East Area, Parks & Open Space Centralized Services, Bridge Operations and will house Equipment Operator Training in the near future. A new Fleet Management Agency facility is also located within the 50 acre site in order to provide more localized fleet maintenance services on the East side of the city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 11:10 PM

If you notice almost every announcement about a construction project since the fire hall fiasco now stresses it was completed on time and on budget.

Will they be able to use that line for Plessis Rd underpass?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
If you notice almost every announcement about a construction project since the fire hall fiasco now stresses it was completed on time and on budget.

Will they be able to use that line for Plessis Rd underpass?
Of course they can. There is a footnote to all CoW contracts that reads, subject to additions and deletions as required by the Right Honorable Mayor of Incompetence and Skull-dugery, Slamming Sammy Katz.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Of course they can. There is a footnote to all CoW contracts that reads, subject to additions and deletions as required by the Right Honorable Mayor of Incompetence and Skull-dugery, Slamming Sammy Katz.
brutal comment, many competent and inteliigent folks leave (or visit less frequently) this forum because of comments like that.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Was there a snow dump in that yard before this year? There is a mighty big one there now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan