HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:01 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
That building is basically Fort Garry Place redux. A hodgepodge of styles, badly mixed, all at the wrong scale.

Building doesn't say "Upper East Side" to me... Jersey, maybe?
It's the tall skinny counterpart of Castle on the Seine's short squatness. It's as if Winnipeg discovered the two aesthetic antitheses of the Golden Section simultaneously. One Wellington wins the race for Most Appalling Building in Winnipeg, admittedly by just a nose over the almost equally inspirational Fort Garry Place Podium.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
One Wellington wins the race for Most Appalling Building in Winnipeg, admittedly by just a nose over the almost equally inspirational Fort Garry Place Podium.
We may have to take this one to a photo-finish. For sheer garishness, I didn't think that the FGP podium could be topped.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:20 PM

This is what I love about discussing architectural renderings, styles, completed projects, comparisons to other buildings both past and present.

Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. It's so subjective and personal that everyone will likely have a different take on the appearance of a structure.

It's like art. Some people will love Picasso and others will gravitate to Rembrandt. Some hate art?

It creates debate and discussion, which is what it's intended to do.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:34 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We may have to take this one to a photo-finish. For sheer garishness, I didn't think that the FGP podium could be topped.
I didn't mean to question your Upper East Side comparison, as when you are actually there and look at New York City buildings individually, many of them turn out to be quite hideous. I don't doubt that One Wellington would fare somewhat better in that company.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I really can't decide which one is worse, they are both so bad. I can't imagine why someone who can afford to live at One Wellington would live at One Wellington. However, it's important to keep in mind that even a failed experiment has something to teach us. Let them both stand forever as a warning to other architects.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM

Does anyone have any new information about this project? From what I've seen from a distance, there seems to be construction workers/contractors standing along the edge of the property line on a daily basis. However, I haven't gone close enough to see the work they're doing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:36 PM

^ Foundation work is currently underway.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ Foundation work is currently underway.
According to the Sandhu Developments Inc. Facebook page, the sod turning ceremony was on July 30. And on August 19 (the last update) they posted a couple photos of foundation work, but nothing since then.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandh...07578775936766

I walked by today and it really doesn't look like much of anything is happening. I included the photos below. Perhaps someone who knows more about construction could shed some light on what's going on here, because it looks like a whole lot of nothing to the untrained eye, haha. Shouldn't there be a hole in the ground or piles or something to indicate progress after three months?

PS - Cyro, liking the new avatar!

Last edited by pegger87; Nov 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegger87 View Post
According to the Sandhu Developments Inc. Facebook page, the sod turning ceremony was on July 30. And on August 19 (the last update) they posted a couple photos of foundation work, but nothing since then.

I walked by today and it really doesn't look like much of anything is happening. I included the photos below (hopefully it works, I've never posted a photo on here). Perhaps someone who knows more about construction could shed some light on what's going on here, because it looks like a whole lot of nothing to the untrained eye, haha. Shouldn't there be a hole in the ground or piles or something to indicate progress?

PS - Cyro, liking the new avatar!
Thx. Pegger. Haven't driven by the site personally since before the sod turning, just going by posts already made earlier in the thread...etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I drove by on Friday evening, looked to me like they were drilling for poured caissons as opposed to driven piles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 11:10 PM

They're still working. They start at seven each morning and make an incredible amount of noise but don't seem to accomplish much.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
They're still working. They start at seven each morning and make an incredible amount of noise but don't seem to accomplish much.
You seem to be familiar or close to the site. What have they accomplished so far, besides the caisson we discussed earlier.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 12:13 AM

It seems like they're still working on the caissons. They've worked their way to the front of the property now. There is some chance we'll see something cool soon.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 12:42 AM

Thx. for the update.I don't envy those renters to the left of the d Condo site when the wall appears. Rent reduction perhaps? nah. Urban Density, yes.

Unrelated Historical Note: Today marks the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:00 PM

Murray McNeill - the man who never saw a project he didn't love - noted in his article today that the foundation work is nearly complete. There was also a remark that a crane would be brought in with a 'few months'. not really sure why it takes that sort of time, but this lines up with everything I know on the project which is that sales are slow. I don't doubt it'll be more than a few months before work in earnest begins...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Murray McNeill - the man who never saw a project he didn't love - noted in his article today that the foundation work is nearly complete. There was also a remark that a crane would be brought in with a 'few months'. not really sure why it takes that sort of time, but this lines up with everything I know on the project which is that sales are slow. I don't doubt it'll be more than a few months before work in earnest begins...
lol, That describes him to a tee.

"All of the piles are in and we're now gearing up to begin the above-ground foundation and concrete work and preparing for the (overhead) crane (to arrive)," Sandhu Developments Inc. president Karampaul Sandhu said.

Hopefully it will be soon -- within a couple of months."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You did say earlier sales had slowed, seems like there will be a delay as predicted.
Some good news though. Now we wait.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...ce=d-more-news

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:30 PM

^ He clearly gets some of his material from here but he never stops in to say hi... I feel slighted

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:32 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
They are probably not in a great hurry to start pouring concrete going into a (already very cold) winter season. Depending on how tight the budget is, they may hold off till spring.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
They are probably not in a great hurry to start pouring concrete going into a (already very cold) winter season. Depending on how tight the budget is, they may hold off till spring.
Oh, yeah, I'm not convinced they're even able to be financed at this point, to be honest. I was just riffing on the article. My personal opinion is that spring is probably incredibly wishful thinking.

Their recent commitment to other projects tells you what they really believe about their timeline.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
^ He clearly gets some of his material from here but he never stops in to say hi... I feel slighted
I just like the dichotomy between McNeill and Kives working for the same paper. One writes a comprehensive takedown of the developer currently slogging through the Ft. Rouge yards at a glacial place and only a week later, McNeill's back at 'er with a puff piece on Streetside and their 10-townhouse commitment to an area that might be charitably considered ripe for development. Just look at the render in that piece. I'm nearly certain Qualico is going to be driving those units to the site...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:24 AM

They took down the temporary "no parking" signs from Assiniboine ave today (right in front of the lot) and I also saw a very confused porta-potty delivery guy drive up to the site to find it closed this morning. I guess it will be a while before it starts back up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan