HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
they want an urban campus....which i read as, NOT the Domain....

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ard-urban.html

Does anyone have the list of locations Austin submitted? I can't find it.
99 percent sure that the list was undisclosed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
99 percent sure that the list was undisclosed.
Yes, but somebody has the list.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, but somebody has the list.
Sure, but if one of us has it, that person probably also made a pretty firm commitment to not do something like post it on a message board.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:

The Broadmoor development, especially if they get the rezoning and train stop they're applying for, is most definitely urban in form. Significantly more so (denser, more transit focused) than the Domain.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:12 AM

http://www.roi-nj.com/2018/01/22/rea...se-no-talking/

Interesting takeaways from Newark’s conference call with Amazon. Next stage is much quieter, much more detailed, includes a site visit. Getting down to brass tacks with the finalists.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

Interesting takeaways from Newark’s conference call with Amazon. Next stage is much quieter, much more detailed, includes a site visit. Getting down to brass tacks with the finalists.
I thought I saw Adler tweet something similar.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:42 AM

Amazon didn't say whether there would be a second cutdown, and a final decision would be by the end of the year. I kind of wish they would whittle their selection at least a few more times, say final ten, then final four. That way we could get a few more updates and interesting debates instead of waiting 10 or more months for word of progress. Maybe they will at least announce the early eliminations, one by one so those cities can get on with their lives and perhaps focus on a different endeavor, like Apple. From what I've been reading, many of the 'lost' cities pinned some pretty high hopes on landing Amazon. It will be tougher when 19 of the final 20 gets the bad news. They should at least get a set of Ginzu knives, and a year of free Prime membership. Its hard to believe Hotel Za Za will almost be halfway to topping out by the time we know who won.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:45 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Amazon didn't say whether there would be a second cutdown, and a final decision would be by the end of the year. I kind of wish they would whittle their selection at least a few more times, say final ten, then final four. That way we could get a few more updates and interesting debates instead of waiting 10 or more months for word of progress. Maybe they will at least announce the early eliminations, one by one so those cities can get on with their lives and perhaps focus on a different endeavor, like Apple. From what I've been reading, many of the 'lost' cities pinned some pretty high hopes on landing Amazon. It will be tougher when 19 of the final 20 gets the bad news. They should at least get a set of Ginzu knives, and a year of free Prime membership. Its hard to believe Hotel Za Za will almost be halfway to topping out by the time we know who won.
Don't get your hopes up.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

I love how after being told to keep it quiet, the first thing they do is leak everything

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
I love how after being told to keep it quiet, the first thing they do is leak everything
Totally. Though . . . Amazon opened pandora's box with their first tier process which was so completely public and gossipy and click-baity. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle for the finalists, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:

I think the best example in Austin of what they would ideally want would be the land from the old Austin Greenwater Treatment Plant in west downtown. Under developed continuous land in the heart of the city. Austin has already redeveloped their inner city utilities and warehouse area. They are redeveloping their old train yard. The problem is Austin wasn't already a big city that went through a boom and bust so there isn't much in old buildings and infrastructure that is prime for redevelopment.

In terms of other sites, the owner of the statesman could have partnered with the owners of the neighboring lots but that is still not a lot of land to build onto to get to 8 million sq feet of office space.

There is the Riverside and Pleasant Valley site but that is a project with a lot of red tape especially since it gets rid of housing. It's also a very residential corridor. Not really what they are ideally going for.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:06 PM

pretty funny SNL skit on Amazon HQ2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Xop8ug07KS8

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:08 PM

They could build something unique by combining Statesman site, surrounding properties and the property across the river slated for 4 highrises... should be able to get close to 8M with the right build out. Would be a unique campus connected by bridge across the river.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:26 PM

In conversation yesterday with a guy I met at a bar, a great point was brought up I had not thought of. This guy is a pretty distinguished business man in DFW. (a local Chamber of Commerce Board member) He seemed to think that HQ2 was a long term play to downsize out of Seattle and eventually move the entire company to Dallas. He said Seattle shits all over Amazon, and Dallas has a major long term plan in place for the entire city (including their burbs) that encourages new companies.

He used Toyota as an example of this hypothesis. I haven't researched this, but he sounded pretty sure of himself.....he has homes in D and Austin, for what that is worth.

Very interesting, I had not thought of that, but anecdotally, I have heard from friends who live in the Lake Union area of Seattle, that the city/citizens indeed disrespect the hand that feeds.

Regardless, he felt like it was a Texas move all the way...with Dallas first, Austin second.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
They could build something unique by combining Statesman site, surrounding properties and the property across the river slated for 4 highrises... should be able to get close to 8M with the right build out. Would be a unique campus connected by bridge across the river.
They could include housing for their employees in that mix at the Statesman, ala Oracle on Riverside.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
The only thing I worry about is the NIMBY's. If they can, they WILL fuck this up.

Anyone know if South Shore entitlements are solidified? Can the NIMBY's get a say so on this? If so, forget it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:20 PM

delete

Last edited by freerover; Jan 24, 2018 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
This has been my dream scenario all along (and I've posted it about 5 times in this thread).

Amazon HQ2 + Delta Hub + MLS Downtown

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
This has been my dream scenario all along (and I've posted it about 5 times in this thread).

Amazon HQ2 + Delta Hub + MLS Downtown
Yes you have... its a good idea.

Amazon HQ2 + Delta Hub + MLS Downtown would advance this city by decades... quite forcefully. ...IMO it's a needed shock to the political ecosystem here. Total dream scenario.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yes you have... its a good idea.

Amazon HQ2 + Delta Hub + MLS Downtown would advance this city by decades... quite forcefully. ...IMO it's a needed shock to the political ecosystem here. Total dream scenario.
Can we add a light rail decision from Project Connect to that dream scenario?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin