HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 9:40 PM

New Downtown Huntsville Parking Garage

New City Parking Garage Downtown Huntsville.

Here is the article:

https://cityblog.huntsvilleal.gov/ci...e-street-deck/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 10:38 PM

Improvements coming to Church Street and Pratt Avenue

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 10:44 PM

Five Points / Old Town Streetscape improvements

Here is the link / info from Huntsville City Website:

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/roadwor...scape-project/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 10:54 PM

South Huntsville: Haysland Road Extension Phase II plans

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 2:52 PM
Burming Hammer

nice to see a parking garage with retail on the bottom.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:33 PM

New Aldi at Drake Avenue SW and Memorial Parkway.

New Aldi next to the new Walmart and publix on WINCHESTER Road.

Any other new grocery stores being built that we haven't talked about on here?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 12:58 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Coming downtown at the Avenue
According to a news release, Melt, a Birmingham-based restaurant, will open in the development on Jefferson Street in March 2019.
Melt’s owners describe the menu as specializing in classic comfort food with a modern twist. It features sandwiches, salads, unique appetizers and vegan and glutan-free options. Melt will be serving local beers, wine, and liquor at the Huntsville location.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 5:18 PM

Has this thread moved to a new location?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_L View Post
Has this thread moved to a new location?
I was wondering if it had just died. I was about to delete it out of my favorites after several years.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 1:12 AM

Lots of new construction going on in Huntsville/Madison county. It would be nice to see a map that displays all the site under work.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_L View Post
Lots of new construction going on in Huntsville/Madison county. It would be nice to see a map that displays all the site under work.
i will try to put one together this weekend..

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 1:36 AM

Autograph Collection Downtown

Looks like a new Autograph Collection hotel will be built across from VBC on current parking deck site. That makes 4 new downtown hotels near completion or about to begin construction.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/03/new-...deck-site.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Looks like a new Autograph Collection hotel will be built across from VBC on current parking deck site. That makes 4 new downtown hotels near completion or about to begin construction.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/03/new-...deck-site.html
this is a good addition to the area. i do wish they would put some for-sale condos downtown again. i know that 301 east was a bust at the time it was built but this is a different time. the apartment downtown fill up so fast. i was hoping condos would be built on this site. It would be awesome to wake up to park view in the morning.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 9:51 AM

I ended up on a plane to Atlanta with Scott McLain. I obviously did not approach him with question on constellation. Does anyone here have any updates or rumor?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhsvguy View Post
this is a good addition to the area. i do wish they would put some for-sale condos downtown again. i know that 301 east was a bust at the time it was built but this is a different time. the apartment downtown fill up so fast. i was hoping condos would be built on this site. It would be awesome to wake up to park view in the morning.
i didn't get to it this weekend but i will try this coming up weekend..

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Great news on the hotel for downtown, especially so near the VBC. Wish it could be taller, but since the rock supporting downtown is essentially Swiss cheese, I won't complain too much. The city still needs to push HARD for more hotel rooms in downtown to reach that 1,000 mark. Huntsville is such a great town for conventions, and its economy could use some further diversyfication.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 8:19 AM

Hello guys, I am new to the forum. However I have been reading through more of the recent posts. I came across this article. A little old it seems; has this project gained any traction since or has it fallen through the cracks?

Huntsville may get new tallest building, proposal summary says
Posted Aug 31, 2017

By Paul Gattis | pgattis@al.com

The proposed downtown "iconic building," as described by Mayor Tommy Battle, may evolve into two of the tallest buildings in Huntsville.

According to a summary of the letter of intent between the city of Huntsville and Triad Properties and Crunkleton & Associates, one building could be as tall as 17 stories while a neighboring building could be as tall as 11 stories.

Currently, Huntsville's tallest building is the 11-story Regions Bank building at Clinton Avenue and Church Street, which stands at 188 feet.

AL.com obtained a copy of the summary of the letter of intent this week.

The letter of intent is non-binding between the city and Triad/Crunkleton. The letter also establishes a Dec. 31 deadline for the city and developers to approve and execute a purchase-and-sale agreement as well as a development agreement. That purchase-and-sale agreement would include a "fair market value" price for the property that the city would sell to the developers, according to the summary.

The project has emerged as a dramatic early step of a downtown master plan approved by the city council earlier this year. The city is also in the process of planning bike lanes on Spragins Avenue in downtown Huntsville.

The tallest building will be at least 10 stories floors and as many as 17. The secondary building will have be at least four stories and as many as 11 stories, according to the letter of intent summary.

Other tall buildings in Huntsville include The Times Building at Holmes Avenue and Greene Street and the Russel Erskine Hotel at Clinton Avenue and Spragins Avenue, both of which are 12 stories. Even though the Regions building is 11 stories, it still stands as the tallest building in Huntsville.

Battle described the maximum 17-story building as an "iconic building" in July in presenting to the city council the idea of the non-binding letter of intent.

"It has that element of, when you look at it, you go 'Wow!'" Battle told AL.com following the July 30 council meeting.

The Rocket City's skyline would figure to have a definitive new look with the potential dominating high rises should both buildings be erected to their maximum heights.

The buildings would be located at the site of the current city hall and the mothballed city hall annex next door and provide a southern framework to Big Spring Park East. The letter of intent said the buildings will "architecturally connect."

The buildings would "form a corner of the project by fronting both Church Street and Big Spring Park East," the summary of the letter of intent said.

The buildings, the developers and the city agreed, must include retail, hospitality and multi-family residencies and possibly office space and other general commercial and residential uses. The buildings must cumulatively consist of at least 200,000 square feet.

A second phase of the project would include a third building that would front Big Spring Park East. That building would connect with the potential 17-story building. It would be between four and six stories and would not include office space.

A structured parking facility is also a part of the project.

The letter of intent also stipulates that the developers will use renderings by Urban Design Associates - the Pittsburgh-based group that put together the new downtown master plan - as guidance for the projects.

The developers, according to the summary, intend for the first floor of the potential 17-story building to have retail space that will front Church Street. There will also be first-floor retail space in the second phase fronting Big Spring Park East.

The master plan also calls for a new city hall to be built at the southwest corner of the Madison County Courthouse where the city hall parking deck currently stands.

"Part of the development agreement is that (the developers) will bring in a scale model, something to look at, to make sure we don't overpower the park or underpower the park," Battle said. "We will have renderings that will tell us what this will look like in context to the city parks and the city buildings around it.

"It will also tie in portions of what city hall has because city hall needs to tie into that so we can have a continuity of process that we come through so we have continuity from one building to the other building to the other building."

Battle said there will be public presentations of the plans as the project advances.

"We started this process over a year ago," he said. "Now we are coming down to some actually actionable items."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 1:11 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Sadly, yea, we've already discussed that proposal... But, the likelihood of a true signature building that's noticeably taller than the Regions building is low.

More regular Huntsville forumers should be able to explain this better than I since I left North Alabama 8 years ago. From what I remember, the city is planning on a new complex, but I'm unsure of its progress. Yes, a new signature tower was supposed to be a part of that, but I haven't read anything new about that in years. Either way, downtown Huntsville's substructure (the bedrock needed to build a foundation upon) is so unforgiving that any new tall building would be pretty limited in height. I assume it's possible that it could be a new tallest in town, but not by much...

Downtown Decatur has a similar issue. When Calhoun was building its arts campus, columns had to be constructed below ground, in the bedrock, because there were some pretty large open spaces below ground that wouldn't support the building's 3 floors.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:59 PM

He's dead Jim!

This forum

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
This forum
It seems to be... there is a lot of things going on in Huntsville, development wise.. it shouldn't be this dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast