HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 4:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The London Fog

While surfing the net looking for photos of dying London-area malls, I came across this pessimistic blog/website on the alleged mismanagement of London, Ontario:

http://thelondonfog.blogspot.com/

Ever read or posted on this site?

some funny snipes, but overall quite a disorganized mess.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jun 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:31 PM
User Registered

Hmm, interesting.

I was at Westmount not long ago and it was a sad scene. Only 1 store is open on the second floor.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Hmm, interesting.

I was at Westmount not long ago and it was a sad scene. Only 1 store is open on the second floor.
Yep, it's very sad to see, as I live in that area and I use to go to the mall practically everyday. They even have sections blocked off. And in my opinion, although small, it was one of the best malls. So was Galleria.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 12:58 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper09 View Post
Yep, it's very sad to see, as I live in that area and I use to go to the mall practically everyday. They even have sections blocked off. And in my opinion, although small, it was one of the best malls. So was Galleria.
You live in that area? I'm near Andover and Viscount. The mall's like a 15 min walk away, but I hardly ever go there anymore.

One third of the mall is blocked off. I think it is going to be demolished. The only part that will remain is the area that has the underground structure under it. The Metro and 2 stores near it will be a separate building, sort of like the way the new theaters are isolated now. A Shoeless Joe's and another resturant will be near the Wonerland/Viscount intersection.

I remember back in the day the mall had 2 toy stores, 2 crafts stores, a pet store, the beer store and the LCBO. People had to go there for these things. Nowadays everything moved to where the old Wonderland Mall was (Now the Athletic Club) for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^my first year in London, I lived across the street from Westmount Shopping Centre. I agree, physically the most attractive and best laid out mall in the city. It was still mostly full (even 2nd floor) when we moved in (2005), but already the exodus was underway, as first the BMO and Shopper's drug mart closed, followed by Yogen Fruz and a bunch of shops near the 2nd-floor entrance of Zellers, etc. I think that mgmt there is just throwing jello at the wall to see if it would stick (they have no strategy)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:13 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^my first year in London, I lived across the street from Westmount Shopping Centre. I agree, physically the most attractive and best laid out mall in the city. It was still mostly full (even 2nd floor) when we moved in (2005), but already the exodus was underway, as first the BMO and Shopper's drug mart closed, followed by Yogen Fruz and a bunch of shops near the 2nd-floor entrance of Zellers, etc. I think that mgmt there is just throwing jello at the wall to see if it would stick (they have no strategy)
Apparently the mall management and owners have made a ton of money, so they really don't care what happens to it, as long as the cash keeps flowing.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Always seemed like a decent place. I think the Wonderland/Southdale development killed that place, just like I think the Hyde Park/Fanshawe "smart-centre" will eventually kill Masonville too.

Kinda sad. the malls killed downtown, and now the smart-centres killed the malls. Wonder when It'll come full-circle?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 6:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If downtown were to kill the power centres, I would be delighted

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Always seemed like a decent place. I think the Wonderland/Southdale development killed that place, just like I think the Hyde Park/Fanshawe "smart-centre" will eventually kill Masonville too.

Kinda sad. the malls killed downtown, and now the smart-centres killed the malls. Wonder when It'll come full-circle?
Masonville is not going to be dead anytime soon.

Mall, Restaurants, Stores (Ex. BestBuy,Chapters,etc)

most of these stores are not at Hyde Park
(inside the mall)

Masonville also has stores that people go to that mall for a reason.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 10:50 PM

So did Westmount. The cycle of business will continue until the city finally takes control of big box development.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 1:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Masonville is being reduced to a collection of Women's fashion boutiques and Women's shoe stores. With a (crummy) foodcourt.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Masonville is being reduced to a collection of Women's fashion boutiques and Women's shoe stores. With a (crummy) foodcourt.
Perfect for the stay at home moms who live in NORTH LONDON.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Masonville still has a better food court than some malls, such as Frederick Mall in Kitchener. Masonville at least has A&W, my favourite burger joint ever.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
While surfing the net looking for photos of dying London-area malls, I came across this pessimistic blog/website on the alleged mismanagement of London, Ontario:

http://thelondonfog.blogspot.com/

Ever read or posted on this site?

some funny snipes, but overall quite a disorganized mess.
This website used to be a lot better, back around 2006. There is very little London-related content posted on there anymore - most of the recent posts are things like Marc Emery or the G20 summit, things not particularly relevant to London.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 1:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
Perfect for the stay at home moms who live in NORTH LONDON.
and boring as melba toast for EVERYONE ELSE.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jul 1, 2010 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
You live in that area? I'm near Andover and Viscount. The mall's like a 15 min walk away, but I hardly ever go there anymore.
I practically live under the TV Tower

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy