HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
BANNED

17th Avenue S.E. (1A) Twinning?

Does the province have any plans to twin 17th Ave SE, between Calgary and Chestermere? I've noticed it's insane at rush hour, to commute from Chestermere and back. With the Stony Trail/17th Ave SE interchange under construction, I would hope they would twin this commuting route ASAP.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 12:39 AM
power to the people!

I think the city will be annexing 2/3 of that route soon, so I'm sure the province has no interest in ponying up the money at his time.

I'm sure the the city is in no rush either as it doesn't collect taxes from Chestermere residents.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:27 AM
Laura Palmer

The area between Chestermere and Calgary was annexed by Calgary in 2007. Currently there is a plan to buil a neighbor called Belvedere. To my understanding the section of 17th ave between Calgary and Chestermere will be a "Parkway" and "Urban Boulevard". Below is a link to the draft asp.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Pages...ture-Plan.aspx

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:44 AM

I could see 17 Ave SE eventually loosing its "Hwy 1A" status, there's only about 1 mile of highway that's not in either Calgary or Chestermere.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:04 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
The area between Chestermere and Calgary was annexed by Calgary in 2007. Currently there is a plan to buil a neighbor called Belvedere. To my understanding the section of 17th ave between Calgary and Chestermere will be a "Parkway" and "Urban Boulevard". Below is a link to the draft asp.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Pages...ture-Plan.aspx
Fascinating. I see that the East Hills site (linked in the construction thread), the regional retail on the west end of 17th at Stoney is actually intended to have a BRT station, and is partially within the TOD area. The part that is in the TOD area is mostly the loading docks of a Walmart, and the parking lot of a Walmart.

Boy, I'm sure glad people spend a lot of effort on these plans. If only they ever did anything at all to affect land use.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:53 PM

East Hills was approved for Land Use before the Belvedere Area Structure Plan began. ASP's usually do have a major influence/direction on land use.

Keep in mind that the type of development at East Hills is really not that different from the type of development around many of our C-Train stations. The parts of the city, when first built, do not have the market demand for high density urban villages that a TOD calls for. But the good news is, after some time, they can easily be redeveloped (see Brentwood, Westbrook, etc..).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I could see 17 Ave SE eventually loosing its "Hwy 1A" status, there's only about 1 mile of highway that's not in either Calgary or Chestermere.
They've been slowly phasing out all references to "To 1A" in the City at least, but I believe Stoney Trail will show it as 1A.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 10:33 AM
BANNED

Chestermere has exploded, population wise, in the last few years. It must be approaching 20,000 people. I would hate to commute to and from Calgary, on 17th Ave.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:11 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Actually pretty curious what that rush hour commute is like.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:19 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Chestermere has exploded, population wise, in the last few years. It must be approaching 20,000 people. I would hate to commute to and from Calgary, on 17th Ave.
15,352 as of last civic census.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They've been slowly phasing out all references to "To 1A" in the City at least, but I believe Stoney Trail will show it as 1A.
In light of the city slowly phasing out 1A references, I'm surprised that the new overhead approach signs for 17 Ave SE on Deerfoot show "To 1A East".

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
In light of the city slowly phasing out 1A references, I'm surprised that the new overhead approach signs for 17 Ave SE on Deerfoot show "To 1A East".
I believe that is for consistency with Stoney Trail showing 1A, and how they show "To 1 East" and "To 1 West" on the 16th Avenue exits at Deerfoot as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:15 PM

Bumping an old thread. In light of Stoney Trail SE opening up, does anyone know if Hwy 1A is ending at Stoney Trail (Hwy 201) or Deerfoot Trail (Hwy 2)? I'm wondering if Hwy 1A now ends at Stoney Trail as the new signs indicate that Hwy 1A only applies east of Stoney (17 Ave SE westbound has no 1A shield) - sorry I don't have any pictures.

Compare that with the Stoney Trail/Crowchild Trail interchange were most of the signage indicates that Hwy 1A is on all of Crowchild Trail, see http://goo.gl/maps/eJJNn and http://goo.gl/maps/6s4su.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure