HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 6:41 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, the 3D stuff came out on April 1st. A lot of the more recent imagery has it. Good old red/blue glasses to the rescue!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 6:59 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, the 3D stuff came out on April 1st. A lot of the more recent imagery has it. Good old red/blue glasses to the rescue!
I noticed that on some shots from around Calgary. Tried the glasses that I kept from the local theatre and they didn't make any difference, but they are not the red/blue type. Or maybe mu computer just wasn't up to the task.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 9:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I noticed that on some shots from around Calgary. Tried the glasses that I kept from the local theatre and they didn't make any difference, but they are not the red/blue type. Or maybe mu computer just wasn't up to the task.
Theatre glasses (modern ones, anyway) work based on polarization of the lenses, which separates the left/right images.

Streetview 3D (at least when I looked at it) works based on the oldschool red/blue filtering to separate the images.

Neither is compatible in any way.

Back in the day I played with PC-based 3D that uses shutters to achieve the same effect, if you don't mind the splitting headache from the flickering. Also incompatible with the 2 methods above - plus, you needed special glasses that plugged into your video card (to provide power and control timing). And software support for it.

I don't even know if you can have 3D come out of your computer that works on the polarization trick. I thought you had to have 2 separate projectors for this to work.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Best google street view shot ever!!!

thats one horny satellite. haha

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:55 AM
IMHO

Updated Streetview now available for Calgary

I just happened to check Streetview this evening in Sunalta, and see this shiny new LRT station sitting there all of a sudden - that can mean only one thing - the new images for Calgary are live! Now, if only they could update the aerial images, I'd be a happy camper!

Sunalta Streetview by ferreth, on Flickr (Source, Google)

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:12 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Great find! they got my house right after our bushes were trimmed back in April

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:00 PM
Great White Norf

The resolution of Google Streetview has improved dramatically! Thanks for the update. I'm going to have many hours of fun in the future travelling virtually around the city

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:26 PM

Whilst I'm glad that there's an update, I'm kind of sad that I no longer appear in Street View. I now know how Marty McFly felt when he started to vanish from his family portrait.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:38 AM

Google Maps was recently revamped, including integration between "satellite view" and "Earth view" (now integrated into one). Earth View now includes everything in 3d, it's really cool. If you have the new Google Maps enabled, check this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04808.../data=!3m1!1e3. Based on how Google Maps/Earth has advanced in the past 5 years, I can only imagine how this will improve in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Whilst I'm glad that there's an update, I'm kind of sad that I no longer appear in Street View. I now know how Marty McFly felt when he started to vanish from his family portrait.
Street View now lets you look at all previous Street View images. See http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2014/0...reet-view.html

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 1:45 PM

I saw the street view car downtown last week, so expect updated images in the next few months.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:57 PM
IMHO

While I love all of these upgrades, I really wish Google would finally get high resolution imagery of our National Parks, especially Banff/Jasper. I've bugged Google about it from the POV of getting all of the world's Heritage Sites covered in high rez.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Google Maps was recently revamped, including integration between "satellite view" and "Earth view" (now integrated into one). Earth View now includes everything in 3d, it's really cool. If you have the new Google Maps enabled, check this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04808.../data=!3m1!1e3. Based on how Google Maps/Earth has advanced in the past 5 years, I can only imagine how this will improve in the future.

Street View now lets you look at all previous Street View images. See http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2014/0...reet-view.html
Thanks for the reminder, I saw that earlier, but forgot to check it out. Went to see if I'm back from the dead and I have. Kind of strange though, the one section where I am has reverted back to 2009, but the piece before or after is 2012. I can't change my section from 2009 to 2012.

Obviously some type of glitch in the matrix.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos