HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 3:09 PM
Moran supreme

What you've been sold versus what you get

So recently I moved into a third career in a trade and for the past two months I've been doing contracted piece work in a smaller development just under a kilometer south of downtown.

Now we've lived ion our current 1955 bungalow for just over 19 years and it's been at least 30+ years since I've live in any sort of multi-unit building and in fact I haven't lived in anything that was newer than 40 years for those 30+ years as well.

That said, when one goes about purchasing a new home, I am wondering what leeway there is with respect to what the sales brochure/people sold you on versus what you will get in real life. I know there are some considerable differences between the marketing materials for the place I'm working in versus what buyers will really be getting - for the most part, it's all cosmetic but to me it would be a bit of an issue when what I think I'm getting and what I walk into are two different things.

Should you, as a new home buyer, expect to have straight walls or level floors? Do you have any recourse if these deficiencies exist or are they deficiencies or are there allowable limits? What about something as simple as light switch placement - one unit I was working in had the bathroom light switch located almost 20 inches back behind the opened bathroom door - seemed quite dumb to me that one would have to open the bathroom door and reach quite a ways behind it to switch on the lights or fan.

Does the new home warranty address stuff like this or are you SOL? Please note that I just do not know because I have lived in older places for quite a while now and am just curious as to what the real deal might be with respect to what I've identified above. To me, the huge amount of little things I see in this development would possibly all be deal breakers but then again, maybe there's a lot of leeway when it comes to purchasing a new home that I am just not aware of.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 3:26 AM
Moran supreme

Same place, people start moving in Saturday even though units haven't been finished on 3 of the 4 floors. Building still hasn't passed inspection, main floor still doesn't have flooring down in common areas and at the end of today, electrical and fire alarm issues were still being chased.

That said, are there cases where limited occupancy is allowed even though numerous tradespeople are still on site in other unfinished units? Even the units that ar supposed to be move into on Saturday are still not ready, drywall, paint, electrical issues and possibly still some code issues.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates