HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Does anyone know when 5th Street (I believe) through the Railyards is going to open?
The property is in the midst of being sold which has prevented the street from being opened. The sale is supposed to close during Q1 of this year, so stay tuned. Should be open soon-ish... hopefully.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Does anyone know when 5th Street (I believe) through the Railyards is going to open?
5th street, 6th street and railways blvd connecting ot 7th street all finished striped and signals on flash!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Elk Grove and density in the same paragraph?
Did you look at the map?! For a suburb that is so large already, to have 3600 ppsm already (before any rail transit) is a huge deal!!! Here in the twin cities, they're building extensions (basically new lines) to light rail to suburbs that are 2900 and less than 1900 ppsm. You folks in CA don't know how good you have it as far as density goes! Elk Grove could really densify even more with the extension (not a very long one) to serve the city of Elk Grove! I think, in parts, it already has the density to substantiate this! Over 10,000ppsm in parts is massive for a suburb (in America, at least).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Did you look at the map?! For a suburb that is so large already, to have 3600 ppsm already (before any rail transit) is a huge deal!!! Here in the twin cities, they're building extensions (basically new lines) to light rail to suburbs that are 2900 and less than 1900 ppsm. You folks in CA don't know how good you have it as far as density goes! Elk Grove could really densify even more with the extension (not a very long one) to serve the city of Elk Grove! I think, in parts, it already has the density to substantiate this! Over 10,000ppsm in parts is massive for a suburb (in America, at least).
Why the extension to Cosumnes River College wasn't built before the "Green Line" stub that goes nowhere has always been a disappointment.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
5th street, 6th street and railways blvd connecting ot 7th street all finished striped and signals on flash!
Does anyone have a plan map of what the roads will ultimately look like?

And will there be -- at last -- a long over due bridge connection to Truxel Road and Natomas?

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Why the extension to Cosumnes River College wasn't built before the "Green Line" stub that goes nowhere has always been a disappointment.
Future planning...its a helluva lot easier to build something before hardly anyone lives along the route in anticipation of future residents (Township 9, The River District, etc) than it is to extend a line through a mostly residential area which could lead to additional issues/delays in the EIR.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:40 PM

Engineering work beginning for Capital Southeast Connector project

Quote:
The first work is underway for the Capitol SouthEast Connector -- though paving and grading is well in the future.
Dokken Engineering will do preliminary engineering and environmental documentation for one segment, 5.5 miles between Prairie City Road in Folsom to Latrobe Road in El Dorado Hills.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...southeast.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:59 AM
Hindrance to Development

Elk Grove opted out of RT years ago, essentially saying "thanks but no thanks" to light rail. Laguna West was designed as a "pedestrian pocket" that was supposed to have a light rail line from the outset, the lack of transit in that supposedly "transit-oriented" development made it a national joke in planning circles--at least until North Natomas became an even bigger joke. I don't know if EG has any proactive plans for light rail or streetcar, BRT or other intra-city transit.

Elk Grove is advocating for an Amtrak station so San Joaquin commuter trains can stop there, providing at least some limited heavy-rail commuter service between Elk Grove and downtown Sacramento.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have a plan map of what the roads will ultimately look like?

And will there be -- at last -- a long over due bridge connection to Truxel Road and Natomas?

Thanks.
This is the railyards. I think the Bee has had ooodles of drawings showing these main roads.

Truxel/river crossing is more like Township 9 etc many blocks away and there hasnt been a peep about the bridge needed in a long long time.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
This is the railyards. I think the Bee has had ooodles of drawings showing these main roads.

Truxel/river crossing is more like Township 9 etc many blocks away and there hasnt been a peep about the bridge needed in a long long time.
I tried to google anything I could find about a Truxel bridge... almost nothing. Being able to take like rail to the stadium will be nice, but not having to spend $50 on a cab or parking for the airport would be amazing.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:

If the railyards doesn't have decent road connections to the rest of the grid, and the rest of the city for that matter, it will not work out well at all.

As for the Truxel Bridge, do you really think it makes sense for vehicles (including buses) to have to get on a freeway just to go to the neighborhood across the river?

Q: What are freeways really for? A: thru traffic.

Something is dreadfully wrong with a city when to get to the immediately adjacent neighborhood, you have to get on a freeway. The American River isn't like the San Francisco Bay.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 7:58 PM

Quote:
If the railyards doesn't have decent road connections to the rest of the grid, and the rest of the city for that matter, it will not work out well at all.

As for the Truxel Bridge, do you really think it makes sense for vehicles (including buses) to have to get on a freeway just to go to the neighborhood across the river?

Q: What are freeways really for? A: thru traffic.

Something is dreadfully wrong with a city when to get to the immediately adjacent neighborhood, you have to get on a freeway. The American River isn't like the San Francisco Bay.
Someone will have to confirm this. But, there are 2 new roads in the Railyards that are not accessible from the grid currently. But, as development occurs, they are going to open them up to traffic. I'm sure there won't be any issues with accessing the Railyards from the grid.

As for the American River, no, it's not the San Francisco Bay. But, why does there HAVE to be a bridge connecting Truxel with an industrial area? Where would you put the bridge now that there are a ton of buildings/hotels/restaurants on the other side of the river. This makes no sense at all and is completely cost prohibitive. There WILL be a light rail bridge over the American River once the DNA (Green) line is complete. But, I see no need for a bridge over the American River there at all. I-5 is .6 miles from the intersection of Truxel and Garden Hwy.

Where I WOULD see the need for (more than any other bridge in the metro) would be a bridge over the American River between Watt and Sunrise. That will NEVER happen. But, THAT is the single most necessary bridge in the region!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Where I WOULD see the need for (more than any other bridge in the metro) would be a bridge over the American River between Watt and Sunrise. That will NEVER happen. But, THAT is the single most necessary bridge in the region!
No disagreement there!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:24 PM

Quote:
As for the American River, no, it's not the San Francisco Bay. But, why does there HAVE to be a bridge connecting Truxel with an industrial area? Where would you put the bridge now that there are a ton of buildings/hotels/restaurants on the other side of the river. This makes no sense at all and is completely cost prohibitive. There WILL be a light rail bridge over the American River once the DNA (Green) line is complete. But, I see no need for a bridge over the American River there at all. I-5 is .6 miles from the intersection of Truxel and Garden Hwy.
NickB1967 is right though, it's ridiculous to have local traffic clogging up 1-5 if someone is simply trying to get from North Sac to Downtown. It's the same reason a new bridge is planned to connect from West Sac to Broadway: it doesn't make sense to have people get on Bus. 80 just to get across the river. Like NickB1967 said, freeways should be for through traffic. I-5 is already enough of a cluster-fuck coming through Downtown, we shouldn't keep forcing every single person coming into the grid to crowd onto it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclearColt View Post
NickB1967 is right though, it's ridiculous to have local traffic clogging up 1-5 if someone is simply trying to get from North Sac to Downtown. It's the same reason a new bridge is planned to connect from West Sac to Broadway: it doesn't make sense to have people get on Bus. 80 just to get across the river. Like NickB1967 said, freeways should be for through traffic. I-5 is already enough of a cluster-fuck coming through Downtown, we shouldn't keep forcing every single person coming into the grid to crowd onto it.
While I agree with the sentiment, would you have them displace all the businesses and residences on the south side of the river for this?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:54 PM

There are conceptual plans for a Truxel bridge.

The view east (upstream) on the north side of the bridge. The Garden Highway runs along the top of the levee. The model shows the approximate height (to scale) of the bridge, but doesn't show the height of the trees in the parkway, which are slightly taller than the bridge in some places.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:11 PM

I think it is ok if it can work. But, as I stated, the bridge drops you off right onto an industrial building. So, either they will have to spend a ton more to elevate the bridge over the buildings (and lower it who knows where?) or it won't logistically work. Same reason they can't build a bridge across the American River from Bradshaw...or Mayhew.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I think it is ok if it can work. But, as I stated, the bridge drops you off right onto an industrial building. So, either they will have to spend a ton more to elevate the bridge over the buildings (and lower it who knows where?) or it won't logistically work. Same reason they can't build a bridge across the American River from Bradshaw...or Mayhew.
The real questions is "Why are there industrial buildings that close to the American River? Shouldn't that be super prime real estate, high end condos, parks, and civic buildings?" People complain about I5 cutting off downtown from the waterfront.. and here we have downtown Sacramento with an unobstructed waterfront.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofFrost View Post
The real questions is "Why are there industrial buildings that close to the American River? Shouldn't that be super prime real estate, high end condos, parks, and civic buildings?" People complain about I5 cutting off downtown from the waterfront.. and here we have downtown Sacramento with an unobstructed waterfront.
Agreed...BUT, that's the reality! Those places probably aren't going anywhere. Will the city try to take them by eminent domain? NO! That's silly!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:53 AM

Quote:
While I agree with the sentiment, would you have them displace all the businesses and residences on the south side of the river for this?
The area where they are planning to connect to on the south side (IIRC, around N. 3rd St./Sequioa Pacific Blvd.) to my knowledge doesn't have any residences and I don't really think the current industry and businesses will fit with future development in the area anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area