HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 10:14 PM
Closed account

nothing says 'classy city' more than going into city hall past hair salons with cardboard signs, empty storefronts and the worlds largest concentration of 'discount' stores.
friggin brutal.
plenty of companies would gladly bid in an effort to build us a new city hall...what the heck goes on behind the scenes in this mobster town where we TRY to give our business and money to idiots like the guy running the City Centre??
Are they scared that if we vacate it, he'll turn it into another one of his grow-ops??
brutal.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
Closed account

ok, spill the beans on the dude who owns the city centre. you've obviously heard some pretty interesting stories.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 11:23 PM

so city hall could quickly become just another so-called abandoned building in the downtown core like what's at the corner of John & King, and James & Prince William?

What a joke this city is if that's the case.

Oh, let's gut the city hall now, and then find out we should put the project on hold, leaving it fully inoperable, and likely unsafe to work or use. This city's management sucks then plain and simple. I was starting to like the city, or at least see it in a different light, but just leaving your city hall in the dust for who knows how many years can quickly make Hamilton the laughingstock of Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 12:31 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

How about vacating all of downtown Hamilton and razing everything.

This way Hamilton could start from scratch building an ultra 'futuristic' city center like Mississauga.

Honestly how far are things off from this now?

1. 1 Mall Superblock
2. 1000 hectares of surface parking
3. 0 rapid transit
4. almost free municipal parking

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:45 AM
On Guard For Thee

I'm not pleased to hear about this latest bout of dithering. If there is one thing I cannot stand--it's dithering. There are benefits to having municipal workers in Jackson Square--we always knew there would be--it was discussed ad nauseum when the original City Hall reno/demo debate was going on. As difficult as it was to make a decision and stick to it--it was done. City Hall is, after all, a bit of a masterpiece of modernist design, and although I would've supported building new--I was pleased in the end that Roscoe's well designed but poorly built City Hall was to survive. The truth of course is that it was too small before it even opened--and therefore, barring a demolition and rebuild, the bulk of municipal staff will continue to be spread around at various locations--much of it in and around Jackson Square.

That being said, I am saddened mostly by the degree to which Hamilton--as a city, not a government--is hated by people who describe themselves as the city's most ardent defenders. I know there are passionate opinions here--but your posts read as though you are nothing but embarassed by the city, ashamed by something you claim to love. You want the provincial government running your city? You want to completely lose your rights as a voter? You genuinely think the Province is well-run and efficient as a bureaucracy?

A P3 city hall is a definite option--always was--do you sincerely support this concept RTH? You may recall the P3 concept for a Regional Government building (Region Plaza) on the site now housing the Federal Building. Do you remember that private sector partner? Does the name Hi-Rise ring any bells? I can just imagine the tirade on this forum--P3 city hall project with Hi-Rise and LIUNA.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:41 AM
Closed account

fastcars, I'm an ardent supporter of Hamilton, not a defender for the idiotic, brainless crap that comes out of city hall.
Yes it's embarassing. Talking about having no city hall until "things are better".
what a dumb comment.

A P3 could be done properly here, but you're right - I want nothing to do with Hi-Rise. There are many other builders/developers around who could offer ideas for the back site of city hall.
Remember, Roscoe designed the place with foundations already in place for a new tower south of the current one.
Let's do it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 12:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Councillors revive debate about selling City Hall

Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 24, 2008)

Two city councillors want to sell off City Hall.

"Get rid of it," downtown Councillor Bob Bratina proclaimed yesterday.

He joined Councillor Terry Whitehead in suggesting the city cancel the $69-million renovation and stay at its temporary location at the City Centre.

"We need to take a serious look at creative ideas to get value for the taxpayer," said Whitehead.

The idea of selling City Hall, which has been debated several times over the decades, drew eye rolls and sighs from several other councillors. But Bratina and Whitehead argue the idea should be revived, given the city's financial outlook. Taxpayers are facing an 8.2 per cent increase this year.

"I think it's a concept worth revisiting," said Whitehead, noting the proposal could be paired with the Lister Block debate.

The suburbs' former town halls are also a target in budget deliberations. Councillor Brad Clark revived the debate yesterday about closing the municipal centres and renting out the space. Staff plan to report back.

The renovation of Hamilton City Hall is on hold while the city looks for a new architect.

Bratina said he fears the project's cost, which recently jumped from $60 million to $68.8 million, will only soar higher. He'd prefer to hand the land over to a university to create a downtown campus and wait to build a new municipal centre when the city is doing better and downtown has recovered.

Whitehead believes the prime land --which staff estimated would be worth about $2 million -- could be leveraged for a downtown development to generate taxes.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger said he'd want to see substantial council support for the idea before asking staff to develop a business case for the recycled proposal.

"I'm reluctant to get into the debate," he said, noting the renovation was hotly contested just a few months ago. Eisenberger led and lost a fight to tear down the heritage building and build a multipurpose civic centre.

"I'm still worried about the path we are on, but that said, that is the path we're on."

The City Hall renovation debate sprouted from a discussion about the cost of the city's temporary chambers. Council has been holding its meetings at the Convention Centre since the move in the fall. Room rentals and food are expected to cost $107,000 this year. Councillors asked staff to report back on the cost of renting a meeting room in the City Centre mall instead.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 1:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't mind the idea but it's just the way Bratina goes about saying it rubs me off.

We know Public Health department isn't relocating to the Lister Block and LIUNA wants to sell the Lister Block to the City so it's not a bad idea to make the Lister Block City Hall and purchase the building for $20 million instead of spending $68 million on renovation for City Hall. Over time they could add a tower behind the Lister Block for more office space. Plus it could be symbolic meaning old meets new, Hamilton has a lot of historical buildings but entering the new world with new and modern buildings especially LEEDs.

First I would put the City Hall land up for sale to see if any interested buyers, if not than renovate it. If interested buyers I would go with the Lister Block.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 2:19 PM

That's funny. Hamilton, the city with no city hall.

I like this place because of the people I know here and the things there are to do. Not the quality of the built environment. There's just enough of it left to make me feel like I live in an urban area.

There are good things happening, but lets not fool ourselves. Our main streets are in shambles, just look at James across from the City Centre, look at King across from Gore Park. This is the main intersection of the city and it's that bad.

We love the city because it's our home and we want the best for it. But we have to be honest with ourselves. It's a piss poor condition we're in and nothing seems to be changing. It's just one step forward, and if we're lucky, only one step back.

"Let's just not have a city hall". That's just thinking like a city on life support, like the whole god damn city is on welfare. I wish they'd thought that way before spending on Red Hill.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 3:18 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I can't believe this is even a debate. Hamilton is lucky to have the building it has as city hall. Stop muddling around with this idiocracy and fix it already. Use the mega parking lot behind it to expand in the future. There is no replacement for the historical significance of this building.

To quote Donald Trump, "Renovation costs you half". If an architect or developer is hired that actually knows what they are doing with this type of project there should be great saving and efficiencies.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...trump-un_x.htm

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:24 PM

Old City Hall

I like the old City Hall.

But they need to make it more people friendly. A skating rink would be ideal.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:38 PM
Closed account

I agree...a skating rink, garden area and LRT gliding by out front.
I heard an interview with Warren Green on CHML talking about their grandiose plans for a new city hall proposal 5 years ago.
He makes it sound like the greatest project ever with lush landscaping etc....yea, just like that crap-box on Bay St which was supposed to have a wonderful piazza out front and water feature etc...
these guys are so full of crap and we keep parading them around on the radio.
Of course, it didn't help that Bill Kelly welcomed him to the show by calling him the developer responsible for that "beautiful architecture on Bay St". He wasn't kidding either!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 6:43 PM

What is this facination with Skating rinks that I keep seeing? It seems like every other idea for a public space gets the skating rink option thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, its a very romantic idea, but the reality of an outdoor rink in the winter time is more trouble than it's worth. Especially given the climate of Hamilton.

The weather is only cold enough at most 3 months of the year.

If the temperature goes above freezing for any length of time, the ice becomes mushy and un usable.

A day or two of rain will ruin the ice.

If it gets two cold and windy outside people won't use the rink.

In terms of public usage and costs to install and maintain a rink, it's a terrible investment.

Not only that but Council is balking at a $68 Mil bare bones renovation, any extra expenditures are just not going to fly.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

I rather have a Pioneer Square in Portland than a skating rink.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:54 PM
Hammer'd

I'm kinda confused as to why Lister Block is being looked at as a "City Hall". As the deal was before, it was barely big enough to house the Public Health offices, and doing so they needed to pretty much rape the architecture of the arcade level to jam cublicles into it. The only way I could see Lister Block working as a City Hall, is if a tower addition were built beside/behind it. Lister Block could serve almost as an entryway of sorts.

Even still it doesn't sound like a good idea. That project has it's own weird, un-certain direction... lets not put another dumb idea on the table.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

One way or another the Lister Block is going to need city employees filled as LIUNA wants to sell the building to the City. So I kinda see the point of Whitehead suggesting put employees in the Lister Block and when you have money relocate all the employees from City Centre to the tower behind the Lister Block.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:21 PM

I'm with BrianE on the skating rink, it will get too little use for the cost. There must be something better. Other skating rinks don't get used that much. A couple examples:

London's rink around noon on a Friday:

Mississauga's skating rink around noon on a Saturday:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Instead place a skating rink by the waterfront and place a nice square at City Hall forecourt like Pioneer Square. If there needs to be a skating rink put it at Commonwealth Square, it could use it with the new glass wall at the back of AGH.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:55 PM

If you had kids, I think you'd change your mind about a skating rink.

Hamilton is lacking in outdoor winter activities, especially for children. The weather is too unpredictable for natural rinks. We have no ski hill. *(well, we have one, but...) We have great hiking trails, but those become too slick a week after a snowfall.

I realize rinks are expensive, but I guarantee they would draw people downtown, who otherwise wouldn't. Open it the last Friday of school in December, and run it until the end of March break.

This is Canada, after all, so what if its cold! Bundle up and get outside.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:35 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

arhh...looking at Covent Gardens and Mississauga City Hall at the same time make my stomach hurt.

Every city has these skating rinks now a days...Toronto, Mississauga, Kitchener, and London. Hamilton already has a great natural winter rink at Princess Point.

More retail and office enterprise will draw more people downtown. Using the money to help stimulate the downtown economy will draw more people than a rink. Use the money towards a downtown marketing campaign that is not lame.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton