HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 9:39 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF
The proposal is consistent with the intent and vision of the Places to Grow Plan, the
Provincial Policy Statement, and the Hamilton-Wentworth Official Plan in terms of
supporting mixed-use development and Brownfield redevelopment. The proposed
parking lot is considered to be part of the community infrastructure of the hospital, and
is necessary for the functioning of the hospital in order to help sustain current staffing
levels and functions of the HGH. The range of commercial and residential uses
permitted by the existing zoning would be retained.
Seriously? It's a freaking parking lot. That's not mixed use, and calling it brownfield remediation is a stretch. Unless there's a residential/commercial component to this that I'm missing, that whole paragraph is utter crap. It's a parking lot. That's it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 9:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's a multi phased in project which eventually includes a commercial component.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

It seems like Barton St is finally getting an upswing lately. According to Hamilton Economic Development 10 new businesses has located to Barton St, part of Real Estate Crawl.

LaLuna Express bought the old BMO building at Barton/Victoria.

http://instagram.com/p/fk9w49CWRy/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 2:59 AM

Pretty sad how little activity this thread has. This worthless comment should help beef it up haha.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It seems like Barton St is finally getting an upswing lately. According to Hamilton Economic Development 10 new businesses has located to Barton St, part of Real Estate Crawl.

LaLuna Express bought the old BMO building at Barton/Victoria.

http://instagram.com/p/fk9w49CWRy/
^I wonder where everyone at the General eats. That's a huge market for La Luna to tap into. Should do very well.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:43 PM

I know a guy that recently bought 1/2 of the buildings, and according to him 3 of the stores, as well as the basements and apartments above, beside him are available for a combined 130k. The buildings on Barton are going for dirt cheap.
He's on Barton by Lotteridge.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 2:46 PM
Hammer'd

La Luna is gonna do well there. Those hospital workers are going to flock there in droves. When I worked for the federal government on Bay street, everyone went to either the La Luna at King and Queen or the one in the City Centre mall when it opened.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I wonder where everyone at the General eats. That's a huge market for La Luna to tap into. Should do very well.
I've wondered about this and also about St. Joe's when I moved by it. I asked my mother, who was a nurse in Hamilton a long time ago and she said nurses are cheap and don't go to neighbouring restaurants that often. Sadly I think she's right. Nurses are well paid, but they're no where near software engineers in terms of buying lunch.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 12:37 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDP View Post
I know a guy that recently bought 1/2 of the buildings, and according to him 3 of the stores, as well as the basements and apartments above, beside him are available for a combined 130k. The buildings on Barton are going for dirt cheap.
He's on Barton by Lotteridge.
Half of the buildings on the block near Lottridge?

Was his interest related at all to the stadium redevelopment? Just curious.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I've wondered about this and also about St. Joe's when I moved by it. I asked my mother, who was a nurse in Hamilton a long time ago and she said nurses are cheap and don't go to neighbouring restaurants that often. Sadly I think she's right. Nurses are well paid, but they're no where near software engineers in terms of buying lunch.
Nurses don't have time to go out for lunch.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 3:14 AM

^True. Forgot about that.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergirl View Post
Nurses don't have time to go out for lunch.
Nurses are cheap? No. Time is the issue.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Half of the buildings on the block near Lottridge?

Was his interest related at all to the stadium redevelopment? Just curious.
No I don't think so. He bought two shops to use as a workshop and didn't want empty neighbours. Think he moved there in the first place because of how cheap it was.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:51 PM

Via City of Hamilton:

Public Meeting: Enhancements & Improvements for James, Barton, Kenilworth Areas

Hamilton, ON – November 25, 2013 – The City of Hamilton is inviting the public to a special launch meeting about enhancements and improvements to the areas of James Street North, Barton Street, and Kenilworth Avenue North on December 4 from 6:30pm – 9pm at LIUNA Station (King George Ballroom, 360 James St. N).

Although these projects take place in specific areas of the City they positively impact all Hamilton residents and businesses because these studies help determine how everyone can connect to the downtown, waterfront and beyond as well as create a City with even more great places to live, do business, and visit.

The meeting will provide an overview of the: Barton-Tiffany Urban Design Study, the New James Street North GO Station Study, and Barton Street-Kenilworth Avenue Commercial Corridor Study. Following the main presentation there will be an opportunity for separate group discussions for each of the three projects. The December 4, 2013 meeting is the first meeting for each of these projects and subsequent meetings will be held in 2014, which will provide additional updates and opportunities for input.

The public can RSVP for the event by emailing planningteam@hamilton.ca or calling 905-546-2424 Ext. 4498.

PROJECT DETAILS:

Barton-Tiffany Urban Design Study
The purpose of the study is to determine what future development will look like in this area. The Urban Design Study will determine things such as:

Location of buildings, their height and setbacks from the street
Transportation (roads, transit, bike lanes, sidewalks, and trails)
Parks and open spaces
Access and linkages to downtown, waterfront, and existing parks
Location of parking, loading, utility, and service areas

Barton Street – Kenilworth Avenue Commercial Corridor Study
This study will look at the current and future use of land, buildings, and streetscapes, in order to develop a plan to guide the revitalization of Barton Street between James Street and Ottawa Street, and Kenilworth Avenue between Barton Street and Main Street.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 5:56 PM

Barton Street butcher is a cut above

Lina Lourenco is now in charge of her family's butcher and grocery shop on Barton Street. But when she needs her father's help, he's as close as a broom handle pounded on the store ceiling.

Joao Rumor and his wife, Maria, live upstairs. They retired last June after 35 years running the store.

No sooner does Lourenco demonstrate her broom method ("I just go boom, boom, boom and he comes down") than her father strolls through the front door.

He is proud that his daughter has taken over the business, splitting the ground floor space with her brother John Rumor, who operates a safety retailer called Rumor's Safety Zone, on the other side of a new wall.

"I have enough to take care of myself," says the elder Rumor, a Portuguese immigrant who worked for Highland Packers before buying the store near Wentworth Street in 1978.

"Lina was working for someone else and I thought why shouldn't she work for herself?"

Lourenco, a cheerful and chatty mother of two, says the butcher business has been in her blood since she was a young girl working at her parents' sides. Her three siblings didn't take to it but she sure did, working as a butcher for years for Fearmans and then Maple Leaf in Burlington.

She acknowledges that there aren't a lot of women in the business and she sometimes gets funny looks from new customers when they realize she does the butchering.

"I just love the people who come in. They are so friendly," she said.

"We really need to keep the little stores here."

John Rumor, who works full-time for a water main contractor, started his retail operation with a small booth at a flea market.

But it grew so busy, he decided to open a permanent location, says his wife, Julie, who staffs the store packed with bright safety clothes, steel-toed boots and other construction gear.

Lourenco, 45, did away with some of her parents' decorating touches in the shop.

A 2009 Paul Wilson StreetBeat column in The Spectator described it this way: "It's pure whim at work at Rumor's. A forest of plants fills the front window. On the wall, Jesus in 3-D, the Last Supper, the Pope, pictures of Joao's great-uncle Luis (the guy who gave everyone candy), a completed jigsaw puzzle of Venice, a place Joao has not yet seen."

Jesus, the disciples and the Pope are all gone.

So are Venice and the plants.

Lourenco painted the walls and laid tile. She wants to buy new glass topped freezers, big blackboards and overhead displays for sausages and other cured meats. She wants to convey the atmosphere of a European market.

She's also cut down vastly on the range of merchandise sold. The store used to sell everything from snowboots to appliances and neckties to Portuguese hats.

Lourenco is focused on deli and fresh meat and frozen seafood, along with a small display of canned food, oils and produce.

"I used to work old-fashioned, but she wants it nice and clean," Joao says of the store's new look.

He's just happy the store lives on, he says, while watching his daughter and granddaughter Ashley serve customers.

"When I see that, I feel I'm a great man."

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/43...s-a-cut-above/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 5:58 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Harry Stinson announced at an opening ceremony for the Stinson School Lofts Saturday that he has purchased the Joseph A. Gibson Public School, which he will turn into lofts starting at $129,000.

"These are large, lavish suites," Stinson said of the Stinson School project.

"But the number of people who come in here and say 'I wish I could…' That's a market we don't address here."

RELATED: Give this former school's redesign an A+

The Gibson Lofts will be smaller (500-600 square feet as opposed to the Stinson's 1,500-2,000 square feet units) but still quality.

"They'll be good quality but we'll take the Henry Ford approach to the décor. They'll get stone and they'll get nice cabinetry, but they won't be able to customize to the same degree as here."

He hopes to unveil those suites in about three months.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/42...ect-announced/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:02 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 8:55 PM

It is a shame that the author chose not to clearly identify the name of the butcher shop early on in this article. It took a bit of reading between the lines well into the article before the reader could figure out the name of the butcher shop. It's a bit odd to have one of the five W's practically ignored by a writer. Yet another example why I rarely bother with The Spec these days.

I've missed having an old school butcher shop in the downtown area since Reardons closed up shop. I didn't even realise this place existed, although I do remember passing by a shop overrun by plants as described in this article. I will have to check this place out soon. For those still wondering, it is called J. Rumor Supermarket and is at 386 Barton St. E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Lina Lourenco is now in charge of her family's butcher and grocery shop on Barton Street. But when she needs her father's help, he's as close as a broom handle pounded on the store ceiling.

Joao Rumor and his wife, Maria, live upstairs. They retired last June after 35 years running the store.

No sooner does Lourenco demonstrate her broom method ("I just go boom, boom, boom and he comes down") than her father strolls through the front door.

He is proud that his daughter has taken over the business, splitting the ground floor space with her brother John Rumor, who operates a safety retailer called Rumor's Safety Zone, on the other side of a new wall.

"I have enough to take care of myself," says the elder Rumor, a Portuguese immigrant who worked for Highland Packers before buying the store near Wentworth Street in 1978.

"Lina was working for someone else and I thought why shouldn't she work for herself?"

Lourenco, a cheerful and chatty mother of two, says the butcher business has been in her blood since she was a young girl working at her parents' sides. Her three siblings didn't take to it but she sure did, working as a butcher for years for Fearmans and then Maple Leaf in Burlington.

She acknowledges that there aren't a lot of women in the business and she sometimes gets funny looks from new customers when they realize she does the butchering.

"I just love the people who come in. They are so friendly," she said.

"We really need to keep the little stores here."

John Rumor, who works full-time for a water main contractor, started his retail operation with a small booth at a flea market.

But it grew so busy, he decided to open a permanent location, says his wife, Julie, who staffs the store packed with bright safety clothes, steel-toed boots and other construction gear.

Lourenco, 45, did away with some of her parents' decorating touches in the shop.

A 2009 Paul Wilson StreetBeat column in The Spectator described it this way: "It's pure whim at work at Rumor's. A forest of plants fills the front window. On the wall, Jesus in 3-D, the Last Supper, the Pope, pictures of Joao's great-uncle Luis (the guy who gave everyone candy), a completed jigsaw puzzle of Venice, a place Joao has not yet seen."

Jesus, the disciples and the Pope are all gone.

So are Venice and the plants.

Lourenco painted the walls and laid tile. She wants to buy new glass topped freezers, big blackboards and overhead displays for sausages and other cured meats. She wants to convey the atmosphere of a European market.

She's also cut down vastly on the range of merchandise sold. The store used to sell everything from snowboots to appliances and neckties to Portuguese hats.

Lourenco is focused on deli and fresh meat and frozen seafood, along with a small display of canned food, oils and produce.

"I used to work old-fashioned, but she wants it nice and clean," Joao says of the store's new look.

He's just happy the store lives on, he says, while watching his daughter and granddaughter Ashley serve customers.

"When I see that, I feel I'm a great man."

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/43...s-a-cut-above/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 11:52 PM

From the Downtown Update thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
There is also a restaurant in the works for 541 Barton.

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

I had heard that Drew Hauser, architect and member of the HBSA (Hamilton/Burlington Society of Architects) had bought that building and wanted to restore it.

Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLn7LEL0VI That's Drew in the grey sweater at the 1:09 mark

Last edited by CaptainKirk; Jan 19, 2014 at 12:09 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues