HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 7:35 PM
Fake News

An area everyone tends to overlook in the south is Acadia and Fairmont.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 10:51 PM

^ No offence to Acadia, but isn't it a sleepy neighbourhood filled mostly with senior citizens?

Anyway, can't believe this thread has gone this far without someone posting the following:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comm..._of_moving_to/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 2:27 AM

It still bothers me that Mount Royal/Elbow Park/Britannia is labelled as "Hipsters/Arists and young people" and/or "Yuppies". I think that's way off. Mount Royal is the epitome of "Rich People". It's been the neighborhood for the snobby upper crust ever since the founding of the city.

The west side of the city is way more "Yuppie" than anything around Mount Royal.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 2:35 AM
Fake News

that map is freaking awesome! Actually quite accurate.

Reason I mentioned Acadia earlier is it's relatively central, has great access to restaurants, pubs, amenities and has a street grid. I think you'll see in fills going there in the near future.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
This used to be our perimeter when we were house shopping but I'd actually use Charleswood-Northmount-40th Ave N as my northern limit. Capital Hill, Mt Pleasant, Tuxedo etc should absolutely not be overlooked. I'd say west of Crowchild has the same issue- I'd extend that to Sarcee SW to comprise Wildwood, Killarney, Rosscarrock.
Agreed, lots of those neighborhoods are starting to get their own little vibe and it would be a shame to restrict yourself (you might expand anyway once you look at the sticker price of the prime neighborhoods!). Mount Pleasant is extremely hot at the moment with infill projects, and Capitol Hill is getting busy too. It's probably going to push to Banff Trail next.

Wildwood I think is a great hidden gem, even though it's not really walkable to a lot of amenities unless you are closer to Westbrook Mall (although the nicer streets are in the northern section). Although I think the residents know its a nice place, so you dont see a ton of stuff...and it's hardly cheap. Glenbrook (just east of Sarcee) I think has the potential to get popular for people who like the vibe of Killarney, but can't afford it.

We looked as south as Lakeview. Pretty suburban neighborhood, but I love the access to the Glenmore Reservoir...and just a couple minutes extra further out from hot-shit neighborhoods like Altadore.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsALondonThing View Post
Hi all,

I am a keen reader of the forum but first time poster. I currently work in the UK as an engineer in the oil and gas industry based in Northern England. I have been offered a job which represents a promotion in Calgary for far better terms than I currently enjoy here and all visa and relocation expenses covered for my girlfriend and I. We are in our 20's and currently do not own a house or have any dependents - so it would be a relatively easy thing to do for us logistically.

How do you all think life compares to that in the UK?
Is Calgary a friendly place for an English couple to set up and spend a few years?
Do you think we'll enjoy it there? (I know the winters are long and cold)

I have read on some sites that Calgary has a reputation for being a bit "redneck", which isn't something that appeals, but in other places time that it is very welcoming and diverse. Obviously being only 8-9 hours from the UK is a good thing, and BA/Air Canada fly the route daily so travelling to and from home a few times a year shouldn't be difficult.

Anyway, thank you for reading and I look forward to getting to know you all if/when we make the move later this year.
There are many Brits in Calgary especially in engineering and oil and gas business, you would have no problems fitting in and Calgary is one the friendliest cities there is. Most of the Brits I know live in the suburbs or on acreages, it's the North American lifestyle they can't get in the UK but if you prefer urban living there are plenty of cool areas as others have mentioned. You will have to pay extra to watch the footie on the telly but finding a good currie gets easier every year! Go for it, will be a good experience.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:12 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
This used to be our perimeter when we were house shopping but I'd actually use Charleswood-Northmount-40th Ave N as my northern limit. Capital Hill, Mt Pleasant, Tuxedo etc should absolutely not be overlooked. I'd say west of Crowchild has the same issue- I'd extend that to Sarcee SW to comprise Wildwood, Killarney, Rosscarrock.
When I was house shopping I found a 1920s map of Calgary and overlaid it over the current map and that was my 'zone'.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
It still bothers me that Mount Royal/Elbow Park/Britannia is labelled as "Hipsters/Arists and young people" and/or "Yuppies". I think that's way off. Mount Royal is the epitome of "Rich People". It's been the neighborhood for the snobby upper crust ever since the founding of the city.

The west side of the city is way more "Yuppie" than anything around Mount Royal.
That and Pump Hill as "secret rich people". I'll grant Eagle Ridge could be considered low key but Pump Hill is pretty much a go to reference for rich neighbourhood in this city.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful responses. We're likely to be coming over in August, but because of the Canadian visa processing rules it isn't going to be possible to visit Canada during the application period (4-5 months).

Definitely we'd want to live somewhere central, walk able to downtown shopping and cafe's/pub/restaurants. A furnished apartment in the vicinity of the river at downtown sounds the best bet to us.

You've given us lots to take in so thanks for your help. Look forward to getting to know what's going on in Calgary later this year!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Rusty said it perfectly.

Key point: not all Calgary is the same. What you will find here when you begin your work is that an unusual number of young individuals moved to the suburbs and essentially become their parents in about 3 months out there. I have seen too many 25 year olds turn 50 overnight by living in a boring, banal place with a large mortgage that isn't even cheaper than somewhere with more life, activity and opportunity in the inner city.

Welcome aboard! <- traditional Calgary saying.
Have to say this is a bunch of bullshit. I've lived all over the city and found that this just isn't always true. It really depends on the neighborhood. I've liked in one suburb like described above and two that where really fun communities with active energetic people. It’s just the same rhetoric that goes on and on in this forum with closed minded people with agendas. Do your research first. You can find a great place to live here in all different areas.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Have to say this is a bunch of bullshit. I've lived all over the city and found that this just isn't always true. It really depends on the neighborhood. I've liked in one suburb like described above and two that where really fun communities with active energetic people. It’s just the same rhetoric that goes on and on in this forum with closed minded people with agendas. Do your research first. You can find a great place to live here in all different areas.
Calgary sounds like an excellent place to live with sunny weather and a decent standard of living. We're both in our 20's and fairly liberally minded, so choosing a city that is both friendly and forward thinking is a bonus.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
the only downside is that when she goes back to visit friends and family, the UK "Coronation Street" episodes are months ahead of Canada's, so she loses a few weeks of what happened between the last Canadian-TV episode of Corrie and what she sees on ITV during vacation. When she's home again, she's bored with re-watching the Canadian-TV Corrie episodes she already saw on vacation.
Not any more -- the Street on CBC is all caught up with ITV now (or at least within about a week-and-a-half of the original).

In any case, things like this are not an issue in the age of VPN/proxy IP software. Everything on BBC 1-4, ITV and Channel 4 can be watched here.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 5:09 PM
Here and There

We love the Brits here!! What are you talking about??

I have met MANY ex -UK over the years and every single one of them has loved Calgary. You will not lose by settling here. You will definately find something that you love here; whether it is the breathtaking scenery, the countless hours of sunshine, or the little surprise of our downtown area, which is dense and tall for a city of this size.

I have always lived around the downtown area, and I think there is a reason why I am never really negative about the urbanity of Calgary....you have to live down here to get it, and walk around and explore all of the little shops and bars......and the great downtown mall that has almost everything.

Enjoy your search and I recommend the inner, inner city as well. If you want to live in the suburbs later, you can see which ones you like and move out there. The best way to get to know a city is to walk it.

When you move here, dont hesitate to ask us about restaurants, shopping and excursions. This is one of the best references for the urban dweller.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 6:22 PM

I would go to britishexpats.com and browse the forums there. Any qs you may have can be answered there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:12 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
I would go to britishexpats.com and browse the forums there. Any qs you may have can be answered there.
OP please ignore this suggestion. Bunch of people who settled in the burbs and complain about how boring Calgary is and how they can't wait to leave.

Last edited by Rusty van Reddick; Mar 4, 2014 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:35 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Calgary sounds like an excellent place to live with sunny weather and a decent standard of living. We're both in our 20's and fairly liberally minded, so choosing a city that is both friendly and forward thinking is a bonus.
I have close friends that are a couple (she's 30, he's 33) that moved to Calgary from Paris. They've been here for just around 2 years now (live in Sunnyside) and overall enjoy Calgary and love being so close to the Rockies and all of the outdoor activities (as do I ).
The air is cleaner, the water some of the cleanest in the world (it comes straight from the Rockies after all).

It's obviously a vastly different experience from a world-class city like Paris or London but overall they don't regret the move.
I also have friends that moved from Mexico (via Houston) to Calgary, and from the Netherlands as well. There are a lot of young people here from all across Canada, Europe, South and East/SE Asia as well.

In my humble opinion Calgary is the most exciting place to be in Canada right now. The city is growing by leaps and bounds and really coming into its own. The city has invested in a decent LRT-light rail or "tram" system, and top notch architecture is being constructed here, whether it be Lord Foster's The Bow, Santiago Calatrava's (pedestrian-only) Peace Bridge, or Jaume Plensa's "Wonderland" giant head sculpture (located in front of The Bow). The city is sprawling, but the built environment "inner city" neighbourhoods are increasing density at a rapid rate.

And when our rivers are not flooded a popular group activity in the summer is to raft or float down The Bow, or more leisurely Elbow river. There's not many rivers in North America near major metropolitan areas that are clean enough for this activity.

3rd fastest growing Metropolitan area 2009-2013

2nd fastest growing Metropolitan area 2012-2013 (growing quicker than both Montreal and Vancouver!)

unofficial Calgary recruiter,
WIGS

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
OP please ignore this suggestion. Bunch of people who settled in the burbs and complain about how boring Calgary is and how they can't wait to leave.
nothing worse than people moving here looking to make a quick buck and leave in a few years without ever investing any time, effort, or energy in getting to know the city, its culture, its people. That's not living, that's just existing

To these people: May I suggest moving to Houston or Dallas instead

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:05 PM

Thank you all for your input. I am pleased to say we've accepted a job offer and arrive in Calgary later summer. I look forward to becoming a new member of the Calgary forum!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Good call

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. I am pleased to say we've accepted a job offer and arrive in Calgary later summer. I look forward to becoming a new member of the Calgary forum!!
Welcome to Calgary! We look forward to your input on the forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation