HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:28 PM

Great idea for a thread. I planted a garden for the first time last summer and it was a fail. This year is much better. Yesterday I picked my first cucumbers. Can't wait for the carrots.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:08 PM
Editor

I ate my first Spaghetti Squash from the garden yesterday

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:40 PM
not a NIMBY

bees love lobelia

Incoming! by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 4:49 AM
ARTchitecture

My gardens have improved significantly Instead of using mulch, I dug out our fire pit (probably a good 20 years worth of ash and charcoal) and covered the one garden in it. Should be really healthy for the plants and it also looks cool.

New Garden by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Triangle Garden by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:23 PM
not a NIMBY

The spider plant does well outside in the summer. In the fall I cut back the geranium and bring it in for the winter.

spider and geranium by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:58 PM
ARTchitecture

I was able to make a bouquet out of flowers I grew myself, for the first time ever. Put them in a vase of course. Kinda nice to have that from something that I personally grew/took care of.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 4:50 PM

I've been harvesting epic amounts of raspberries this year. Up to about 6kg so far.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:10 PM

What's the latest point in the year that one should have new grass put in? Our lazy-ass developer still hasn't got around to doing the landscaping (grass and planting a tree), and I'm worried that there won't be enough good weather for it to hold.

Then again I have zero gardening knowledge, so I'm not even sure it's an issue.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:20 PM
ARTchitecture

Well we have about a month and a half of good (above zero lows) weather left. I figure if he gets it in by the 20th, and you water it at least 3 times a week until frost, it should probably take hold.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:53 PM
not a NIMBY

Trees can be safely planted until the ground is too frozen to dig.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:01 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Looks like I have a bit more leeway than I thought.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been harvesting epic amounts of raspberries this year. Up to about 6kg so far.
Awesome. Our raspberries ripened and were gone (the small handful we had) in a few days and this was weeks ago now. I was out at my parents in Cochrane last night and theirs are just ripening now.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:16 AM

It took about 7 years for that kind of production. I think I planted about 8 canes. Now there are to many to count. Speaking of which, time to go grab another bowl!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:49 AM
ARTchitecture

I'm really hoping my raspberries recover from the transplant and prosper next year. None of them made it through the transplant unscathed, but only one died thankfully. I have 11 in one garden, so if they make it through the winter, it should be a pretty good crop next year

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:20 PM

Just got another 2kg last night Maybe another week left of picking, judging by what is on there. Gonna be make lots of jam and raspberry beer this winter!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:47 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I'm really hoping my raspberries recover from the transplant and prosper next year. None of them made it through the transplant unscathed, but only one died thankfully.
Chad, raspberries transplant very well ... just keep the ground moist, throw some well composted manure (green or black) over them this fall and expect to see growth next year. As long as the ground doesn't totally dry out, they should make it.

As a side note, when I was 5 we moved and my mother transplanted the raspberries from our old house to our new house. Years later, she moved again and transplanted the same raspberries. Years later still, I transplanted from that raspberry patch in Ontario to my house in Silver Springs. 12 years ago they made the journey to our new house in Tuxedo. So basically, I've been eating the same DNA strain of raspberries my entire life!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:46 PM

Nice!

Ours came from what is now the Canmore Nordic Centre. As a kid we used to go up their and pick raspberries every summer. When they announced construction of the Nordic Centre, they had to destroy our raspberry patch. So before that happened, we went and grabbed a bunch of canes and transplanted them to our garden in Canmore. I grew up on those! I transplanted some to my rental in Calgary in around 2000(not sure if they are still around). When I bought my own place in 2005 I grabbed more from Canmore, and those are the ones I have now. Raspberry plants tend to die off after 20 or so years, which is what happened to the ones in Canmore. So this year I grabbed a few of mine and sent them back home! In another 10 years I may need to refresh my supply, and they will be nice and healthy by then.

So I too have been enjoying the same raspberry DNA. I only wonder if they are wild, or were planted by miners decades ago...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:23 AM
Beer me Captain

"Vertical gardening"

My picture, my house.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:35 PM
not a NIMBY

^ wow quite the growth! Is that Virginia creeper? Nice home.

Looking east to Golder in the hazy distance. The forest down below is Roxboro.

flowers escaping jail by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:39 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

If that's Virginia Creeper you'd better pray it never gets leafhoppers. I had to get rid of mine which the previous homeowners had tamed to two beautiful sort of hoops on trellises. Year 1 was a horrible infestation that would have you walk through a cloud of the little green insects every time you came close to the creepers. They killed it- ever leaf was eaten away. The following year as it was leafing out I took one leaf and unrolled it and it was stuffed with leafhopper eggs and babies. I had to chop it down- today some has grown back and isn't infested but if it happens again I will have to deal with it, but how you'd manage that much growth, I don't even want to think about it, but you better had.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation