HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:09 AM
Moran supreme

Union pros/cons/bashing/whatever

Created this thread to hopefully redirect off topic discussion in Construction thread regarding unions.

Personally, I still believe there is a place for unions in some workplaces. Unions do have their pros and cons IMHO and I've seen some great things happen because of unions and some very crappy things as well.

My experience over the years with respect to workplaces and unions, first real job was non-union and the dangerous conditions we worked in wouldn't have been tolerated in a unionized work place. Second job (career) saw me start as a unionized employee, transitioned into a management (non-union) position, back to a union position, became a shop steward a little bit later, then the president of my local, walked picket lines after being locked out, came back into the workplace and eventually resigned after 26.5 years. Then moved on to owning our own company with a half dozen employees, non-union workplace. Shut that down after a number of years and am currently a subcontractor (non-union) in the construction industry. Have also been a part of union that saw myself and others in court being sued by other union executive.

Some can boast of working in non-union and union environments but probably very few have had the experience that I have with respect to unions, management, unionized and non-unionized work places. I will not preach about unions one way or another but will just say that in certain environments that they still have their place.

Would I go back to a unionized workplace - nope. Would I go back to a management position - nope. Would I go back to owning my own company with employees - nope. Will I remain an independent subcontractor - yupp and that despite that my regular pay check is quite vulnerable to the economy and my ability to obtain work rests solely upon my shoulders.

I have the most freedom I ever have had as a subcontractor and can see the direct results of my efforts immediately and red tape doesn't bog me down as compared to every other job or position I've held in the past. I still work at sites where there's both unionized and non-unionized employees and managers that oversee them. I respect their choices and do not diss anyone for their viewpoints with respect to unions as they often only know what they know and most have not seen or experienced jobs or careers in the variety of positions I have. Discussions about unions are too often very heated and full of people with very strong opinions one way or another - the problem is that those opinions often have been tainted for one reason or another or just plain ignorance comes into play as well. Union discussions always have been and will continue to be very contentious - it is the nature of the beast.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation