HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:57 AM

More Time Lapse Driving!

So, for my birthday, my brother got me a GoPro camera! If you're not familiar, check out http://www.gopro.com. They make cameras that are designed to be put on the windshield or roof of your car, and can withstand speeds of over 100mph! Perfect for time lapse driving!

I'll be posting all of my time lapse driving videos here, but to start off I did two test videos. One in St. Thomas during the day, and one in London at night.

In the future I hope to do most of the major freeways/highways in the area as well as most of the arterial roads in London. If you have any suggestions, let me know

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 6:22 AM

Fantastic. haven't lived in the area for about 3 years now, but picked up instantly in both where you were.

The night-time probably could be a bit refocused to get better clarity - but the daytime was crisp and clear.

Either way, gave me a longing to be back home. I'll be moving back to Southern Ontario in the fall to finish my schooling - but we'll see what happens in the long run. Wish BC and Ontario were alot closer. Great vids, and definitely..most definitely keep them coming.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 2:34 PM

Great job, as usual, Kokkei Mizu.

Recommendation for future time-lapse driving: Riverside Drive eastbound heading towards downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 4:14 PM
User Registered

Very cool. It takes good daytime videos but some editing is required to bump up the contrast in night footage.

Which side of the windshield is that camera mounted on? Do you have a direct link to the model?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 1:28 PM

van Hemessen: I am planning on doing Riverside Dr.

haljackey: In the day video I put it on the roof right above the driver's side door. I didn't like that angle, so with the night shot I put directly in the middle of my windshield on the opposite side of my rear-view mirror. I have tried this angle out during the day as well, and I feel it's a better angle.

And here's the camera kit I got: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-motorsports-hero-camera/

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 1:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

excellent work, Kokkei

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:04 AM

Got a new one up driving around the countryside around London... Some really iconic scenery of Southwestern Ontario.

Video Link

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:48 AM

looks like a waste of gas.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
looks like a waste of gas.
And it's his gas to waste!

Nice vid, although I'm biased because it's of my old stomping grounds. Recognized every road in the tour!

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 1:46 AM

Yeah, figured out instantly where you were, right from the start. (those two rail crossings) Was on Gainsborough road quite a bit towards Strathroy growing up....

And how fast were you going? I think I caught you going faster than a car on the 401 while you were running parallel with the freeway.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Yeah, figured out instantly where you were, right from the start. (those two rail crossings) Was on Gainsborough road quite a bit towards Strathroy growing up....

And how fast were you going? I think I caught you going faster than a car on the 401 while you were running parallel with the freeway.
My speed definitely fluctuated lol... I may have been going 100 km/h on a country road or the car on the 401 may have been going 80 km/h... Can't say for sure

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:52 PM

Okay so I think I'm getting the hang of my driving time lapses. If I'm showing off a particular stretch of road, I'm going to include the speed, factoids, and intersecting roads. The first stretch of road I chose to do was the 401 through London. (I've also recorded Wonderland, Richmond, and Riverside for the same purpose but haven't edited them yet).

So here's the video. Please let me know what you think and if there are any improvements you can think of for future time lapses.

Video Link

Also, you may be interested in another video of mine uploaded a week ago or so... It's of the 401 through Toronto. However I didn't add any factoids, etc. to it.

Video Link

Enjoy!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:03 PM

Awesome job Kokkei!

I haven't seen many time lapses of 401 in London so it was cool seeing yours especially with the factoids & tidbits along the way. You must've covered a good stretch of the 401, I initially thought it was the 402 since it was 2 lanes and I rarely go west of London.

Toronto video was also good, you pretty much covered the whole GTA 401 in that. My only suggestion would be to slow down the rate this time lapse goes at. I would love to be able to orient myself on where you are in the video, but it goes by super quick. Slow it down if you can and it would be perfect!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
Great job, as usual, Kokkei Mizu.

Recommendation for future time-lapse driving: Riverside Drive eastbound heading towards downtown.
Ta-da!!

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:59 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Another great video!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Great video but terrible music. I hate autotune with every whole-grain fiber of my soul.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:05 PM

Nice video. I've always liked how the skyline materializes as you're driving from Mt Pleasant cemetery towards downtown.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Great video but terrible music. I hate autotune with every whole-grain fiber of my soul.
I'm pretty sure Adam Young (aka Owl City) doesn't autotune. I think that's his genuine voice. It's too bad you didn't like the song, I thought it was a good fit.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^no offense, I love your videos and keep 'em coming. I just loathe most of today's popular music. Nothing personal at all about it. I can easily adjust the volume on youtube.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 5:46 PM

Wait, - you can turn left onto Richmond off Dundas now?

Either way, great vid - they really make me appreciate London as home - always will be, and every time I'm back (which is a few times a year) I love being home.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos