HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
I don't know why people are getting uppity about Montreal being on an island. It just is. An island that's the core of a major metropolitan area is still an island. There are different kinds of islands with different characters and degrees of isolation. Montreal isn't isolated the same way as St. John's, sure, but it's an island all the same. I don't see the problem.
Of course, there is no "problem". My only comment was when we are talking about Montreal being an Island Life, what we are really talking about is a few river crossings and some neighbourhoods having a pretentious flair. It isn't as far removed from a place like Calgary as is implied in the "Island Life" thread moniker.

That said, some incidental stats about Montreal Island's fresh water + river status are interesting, in that it is technically an interesting island setting.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:55 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
I think there is some interesting comparisons here like how some people feel that Montreal is not on a island. Same with me living on Vancouver island I did not feel like I was on an island. It was not until I went to the gulf islands like Salt Spring, Galiano, or Mayne island. That I felt I was really on a island.

However, unlike Montreal you could always have the chance too see Porpoise or Whales as well as other sea mammals. I mean any little lake or river can have an island. I used to go to memory island lots when I was on Shawnigan lake but when you think about it I was on an island on the ocean and on a island on a lake. That was pretty cool.

So I suppose I have always thought of a island to be surrounded by an ocean. With tidal waters but everyone has a different perception of what things mean too them.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:18 AM

Not certain I understand the original point.....

Is it that Canada has many areas that have a unique "Island Culture", similar to say "Mountain Culture" associated with living in mountain resorts?

I don't think Richmond or Montreal have a unique shared Island culture. Vancouver Island (where I now live) is a bloody big island and that takes away from the Island culture as well.

Many of the Gulf Island are isolated and that breads a certain community that you don't find in bigger places. Is that what we are talking about?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:27 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
?
I lived on the downtown peninsula in Vancouver. There are 3 multi-laned bridges due south, one (albeit woefully inadequate) to the northwest and attachment to the street grid in the east. Ocean? Nah...Burrard inlet gives a sense of distance from the North Shore (as does Lac St. Louis in Montreal, but I digress), but you could easily throw a baseball across much of False creek.
Who was talking about downtown Vancouver?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:21 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think an island is an island. Montreal fits.

Isolation is probably what leads to most of the attributes we associate with islands, but it's not a requirement for something to be an island. Montreal is also big enough to be well-connected. If the island had a town of 50K only, it'd probably feel a little isolated.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:35 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

One within the St. John's CMA - Bell Island. It's home to just under 3,000 people spread across a handful of communities, the largest being Wabana. It tends to dominate its provincial electoral district of Bell Island-Conception Bay East and so has decent support. Two ferries, for example, travel back and forth across the tickle all day long and people commute to St. John's for work daily.

Another genre of island here is the resettled island. When people were forced to abandon their communities in the 1960s, quite often they were leaving smaller islands along the south coast, especially in Placentia Bay.

A lot of these islands are still kept up to some degree by former residents and their families, often as summer homes. One of the most well-known is Merasheen because the former residents are just so attached for it. They're like a mini-Newfoundland in terms of their love for place.

Merasheenreunion2015-25 by Merasheen, on Flickr

Merasheenreunion2015-12 by Merasheen, on Flickr

Merasheenreunion2015-44 by Merasheen, on Flickr

Merasheenreunion2015-73 by Merasheen, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
I don't know why people are getting uppity about Montreal being on an island. It just is. An island that's the core of a major metropolitan area is still an island. There are different kinds of islands with different characters and degrees of isolation. Montreal isn't isolated the same way as St. John's, sure, but it's an island all the same. I don't see the problem.
Yeah, I don't really get what isolation has to do with island-ness either. Some of the largest cities on the planet - Tokyo, London, Jakarta, Manila, Osaka, Taipei - are located entirely on islands. Others - New York, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Lagos, Montreal - have urban areas that stretch across an island or islands and the mainland.

Now, you could convincingly argue that the British or Japanese identities are informed by the relative cultural or geopolitical isolation afforded by their geography, but I doubt anyone has ever walked the streets of central London or Tokyo feeling an overwhelming sense of island-induced remoteness.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:12 PM
Registered Drug User

Proposition: Southern Ontario essentially functions like an island.

Discuss.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Discuss.
Indeed - a psychological island, an island of the mind.

ie - nothing much worthwhile exists east of Scarberia or north of Barrie, hence anything beyond these geographic limits doesn't really exist. The boundaries of the known world have therefore been formed. Beyond these boundaries only sea monsters like the legendary kraken can be found.

A psychological island indeed.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:27 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed - a psychological island, an island of the mind.

ie - nothing much worthwhile exists east of Scarberia or north of Barrie, hence anything beyond these geographic limits doesn't really exist. The boundaries of the known world have therefore been formed. Beyond these boundaries only sea monsters like the legendary kraken can be found.

A psychological island indeed.
I'd extend the shore east to about Kingston, I think. But you're unkind: Montreal is an island to the east that is a very worthwhile destination.

Heh. But seriously, it's bridges crossing big rivers to New York or Michigan, and otherwise it's mostly surrounded by water. So, sorta like an island.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Discuss.
I think it's been put forward on SSP Canada before. Maybe even by you.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense.

Wilderness to the north, regions of another country that are quite socio-demographically different to the south, and francophone Quebec to the east.

You don't have the typical "familiar ecumene" radiating outwards in several directions for very long distances like a country's demographic heartland usually has. (This is often a big part of what makes it the heartland.)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Everywhere functions as an island - it's just a matter of either the geography or the population being small enough to notice. If Newfoundland was just the Avalon Peninsula, it'd feel more like an island. If Gander and Corner Brook each had 200,000 people, it'd feel less so.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Canada is a community of islands, both psychological and real......

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think it's been put forward on SSP Canada before. Maybe even by you.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense.

Wilderness to the north, regions of another country that are quite socio-demographically different to the south, and francophone Quebec to the east.

You don't have the typical "familiar ecumene" radiating outwards in several directions for very long distances like a country's demographic heartland usually has. (This is often a big part of what makes it the heartland.)
Only by me. But yeah, you can leave Moscow and travel for hours through the hinterlands of the country you rule. Same with Paris. And Rome. And Washington D.C. or New York.

Not Toronto, though. Because everything turns to moose north of Barrie. And who wants to rule moose?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Not Toronto, though. Because everything turns to moose north of Barrie. And who wants to rule moose?
Hmm, over 60% of Canada's population, including its federal capital, reside north of Barrie, but I guess it's just all moose...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm, over 60% of Canada's population, including its federal capital, reside north of Barrie, but I guess it's just all moose...
We can have better discussions if we don't take everything personally and understand that people express themselves figuratively.

Now I have to go check if I live north of Barrie!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

pinterest
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

OK so I live north of Barrie...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK so I live north of Barrie...
So is Moncton, and yes we have lots of moose too.......

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:08 PM

Barrie? People are so generous. Years ago, when I was in full Toronto-centric mode, the shore of the island was Eglinton!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada